Canada Should Boycott the NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steveshutt

Sep 22, 2007
I've had enough. We're constantly treated like second-class citizens by the American-run league, few if any of the players want to play here, we have the highest ticket prices, the funds of which are used to prop-up neglected American teams, our teams are routinely screwed by refs etc. etc.

Seriously why are we doing this? It's degrading. No other country in the world is stupid and masochistic enough to share a league with a country that's governing philosophy is bullying....

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
I've had enough. We're constantly treated like second-class citizens by the American-run league, few if any of the players want to play here, we have the highest ticket prices, the funds of which are used to prop-up neglected American teams, our teams are routinely screwed by refs etc. etc.

Seriously why are we doing this? It's degrading. No other country in the world is stupid and masochistic enough to share a league with a country that's governing philosophy is bullying....

80% of Canada's exports are to the United States. Perhaps the USA should boycott Canada and see how many people will be out of a job within 6 months. then let us see how well a good number of Canadians can afford those high ticket prices up there.

In order for the NHL to work well both countries are needed.

Steveshutt

Sep 22, 2007
Case in point, Dallas gets a PP against Calgary with less than 2 minutes remaining. Sarich for boarding. For what? Morrow cross-check - nothing. Don't be stupid Canada. Stop being the Yankee billionaire's *****...

Steveshutt

Sep 22, 2007
Enjoy the bullying while you can Arizona. Wait till China comes knocking to collect it's debt.

btn

Gone Hollywood
Feb 27, 2002
ATL
Visit site
Let me get this straight.

You want the NHL to do whatever Canada wants, or you are going to boycott the league.

Who is the bully in this situation?

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
How is it beneficial for Canada to boycott the NHL from a business perspective?

This is actually an interesting topic, and should provide some equally interesting debate, provided we get past the fluff reasons provided in the OP.

OthmarAmmann

Omnishambles
Jul 7, 2010
NYC

Pretty much been doing it for 15 years now. Not a patriotic thing however.

80% of Canada's exports are to the United States. Perhaps the USA should boycott Canada and see how many people will be out of a job within 6 months. then let us see how well a good number of Canadians can afford those high ticket prices up there.

In order for the NHL to work well both countries are needed.

A massive part of those exports are energy. It would be *awesome* for the American economy.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Pretty much been doing it for 15 years now. Not a patriotic thing however.

A massive part of those exports are energy. It would be *awesome* for the American economy.

The truth is USA and Canada are each others largest trading partner and these US vs Canada pissing matches usually brings the worst out of people from both countries.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

Let me get this straight.

You want the NHL to do whatever Canada wants, or you are going to boycott the league.

Who is the bully in this situation?

Slam.

And isn't the headquarters in Toronto..?

Roughneck

Oct 15, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
Canada gets no respect I tells ya

P_Rodney_Dangerfield_1.jpg

Steveshutt

Sep 22, 2007
I'm sorry if my remarks sound anti-American, I'm a Habs fan obviously, and I'm very upset today.

I've got nothing against American people and I think the country is amazing and beautiful. I do dislike the foreign policy but I know Canada's just as bad on that issue.

That said, I really do think it's time Canadians questioned the wisdom in supporting a league that displays such open contempt for them and is so clearly rigged against them. We simply don't have the bucks or the resources to compete against the monolith. The question must be asked: why are we still doing this?

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
HQ is in New York guys.

IMO Toronto, Ottawa, QC(when they come back) and Montreal are not leaving the NHL

So I guess Western Canada should take their ball and go home.

An all Canadian league would suck so hard.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
This thread should not be closed. This debate needs to had now, not when the CBA is up and Fehr is going in for the final kill.

Steveshutt

Sep 22, 2007
I'm not saying the NHL should do what Canada wants. They won't, never will, and it's a matter of business. I just think the Canadian people should have a little more pride and stop allowing themselves to be roundly mocked in what quite clearly is an abusive relationship.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
wait a sec...you seem to be implying the league has something against the Habs.
is that correct?

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
I'm sorry if my remarks sound anti-American, I'm a Habs fan obviously, and I'm very upset today.

I've got nothing against American people and I think the country is amazing and beautiful. I do dislike the foreign policy but I know Canada's just as bad on that issue.

That said, I really do think it's time Canadians questioned the wisdom in supporting a league that displays such open contempt for them and is so clearly rigged against them. We simply don't have the bucks or the resources to compete against the monolith. The question must be asked: why are we still doing this?

The only way a 30 NHL team league in Canada can work is if Canada had the population of the United States and the amount of money the USA has as well. Also lets not forget than when the loonie was low against the dollar it was the American teams that helped out those struggling up north. Canada has most of the talent but the USA has most of the cash.

Also, it takes time to build a fan base for any team in any sport anywhere. Has sucessful as hockey has become in Canada not of what is there related to hockey now happened overnight.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
The only way a 30 NHL team league in Canada can work is if Canada had the population of the United States and the amount of money the USA has as well. Also lets not forget than when the loonie was low against the dollar it was the American teams that helped out those struggling up north. Canada has most of the talent but the USA has most of the cash.

Also, it takes time to build a fan base for any team in any sport anywhere. Has sucessful as hockey has become in Canada not of what is there related to hockey now happened overnight.

well, my friend...not really when you add everything up:laugh::laugh:

That said, I AM CANADIAN (half American) and I say

Steveshutt

Sep 22, 2007
I think the league has a bias against all Canadian teams except for the Leafs. And that would change if they ever got into a playoff series with Rangers, Philly, Boston, Pittsburgh L.A. or any of the sun-belt teams.

Consider the Winnipeg situation. The NHL moved the Jets away as soon as they could and yet are fighting tooth and nail to try to save the Coyotes. Doesn't this embarrass any Canadians? It does me. To make it worse, if they do go back, NONE of the players are going to want to play there. None. It'll be an endless stream of insults to our national pride, we the people who care the most are going to mocked and abused. Just like the Montreal Expos and Vancouver Grizzlies were and just like the Toronto Raptors are now. Even the Blue Jays when they won the World Series - they hung our flag upside down in Atlanta. And we Canadians just take it.

Why should a small county expect to compete with a huge country on a level playing field. It flies in the face of everything we know about the Darwinian nature of this world.

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
I think the league has a bias against all Canadian teams except for the Leafs. And that would change if they ever got into a playoff series with Rangers, Philly, Boston, Pittsburgh L.A. or any of the sun-belt teams.

Consider the Winnipeg situation. The NHL moved the Jets away as soon as they could and yet are fighting tooth and nail to try to save the Coyotes. Doesn't this embarrass any Canadians? It does me. To make it worse, if they do go back, NONE of the players are going to want to play there. None. It'll be an endless stream of insults to our national pride, we the people who care the most are going to mocked and abused. Just like the Montreal Expos and Vancouver Grizzlies were and just like the Toronto Raptors are now. Even the Blue Jays when they won the World Series - they hung our flag upside down in Atlanta. And we Canadians just take it.

Why should a small county expect to compete with a huge country on a level playing field. It flies in the face of everything we know about the Darwinian nature of this world.

I think they are fighting tooth and nail because if the team is forced to relocate back to it's original city it would be viewed as a failed venture by the league and in a state where the league is growing and new TV contracts are being bargained for a failed venture would not look good to interested parties.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008

I understand your frustration BUT why blame Americans?

I don't hear any Canadian hockey players coming to the defense of their homeland.

I did hear an American kid say he was going to get his agent to put in his contract with the team that drafts him he be allowed to play for the US at the next junior world championships.

I heard Tyler Seguin (a Canadian) when asked what he'd think if he was sent back to junior/Team Canada juniors and he said I'd be disappointed.
Guaranteed an American kid would add...but it would be a privilege to play for my country.

Sorry, If anyone is to blame...it's not Americans.

maroon 6

Dec 31, 2009
British Columbia

Agreed.

Cricket was the most popular sport in Canada, before Ice Hockey. How many Canadians knew that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->