WJC: Canada Roster Talk Thred Pt III

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
We can look at the resume of the last 4 coaches. Groulx won 3 memorial cups, Lowry has won 0 memorial cups, Ducharme won a memorial cup, Hunter has won 0 memorial cups. Why don't we pick some coaches who can win with good players against other good players because that's what they'll have to do at the WJC. And I don't mean at the Hlinka Gretzky Cup, let's see a good resume and go off that.

Just look at former Memorial Cup coaches, they usually end up being NHL coaches. Gerard Gallant, Bob Boughner, Bill Peters, Peter DeBoer, Claude Julien. The rest are mostly in the AHL or working as assistant NHL coaches.

We can even look at coaches who got their team to the Memorial Cup, Rocky Thompson, John Gruden, Emanuel Viveiros, Steve Konowalchuk, Gilles Bouchard, Kelly McCrimmon, D.J Smith. This is coaches who got their team to the M-Cup from just the last 3 years who are now with NHL organizations. You think NHL organizations don't know what they are doing? Mario Pouliot just won the M-Cup, it won't be long until he gets a shot in the NHL.

ginomini

May 25, 2014
To me Bouchard and Tippett were the biggest problems of this team. Both bad offensively, terrible defensively and heavily relied on even if their performance hindered the play of other players.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
I think its high time Hockey Canada look into hiring a fulltime head coach/staff on 3 year contract. let him start with the hlinka and IIHF U18 tournament with the group he'll coach in his 2nd. U20 tournament. All the millions they con Canadians out of at all these home tournaments. it certainly doesn't trickle down to grass roots hockey.

blindpass

May 7, 2010
I think its high time Hockey Canada look into hiring a fulltime head coach/staff on 3 year contract. let him start with the hlinka and IIHF U18 tournament with the group he'll coach in his 2nd. U20 tournament. All the millions they con Canadians out of at all these home tournaments. it certainly doesn't trickle down to grass roots hockey.
You think any coach would survive three years? After the first unsuccessful tournament everyone would be calling for their head.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
You think any coach would survive three years? After the first unsuccessful tournament everyone would be calling for their head.

Dominique Ducharme was on the staff for 3 years. 1 was a debacle as an assistant. failed his 2nd. year. although a decent result. losing in the GMG is disappointing but hardly a fairlure. and delivered his 3rd. year. So, yeah, I think a head coach/staff on contract for 3 years can deliver results.

wishywashy19

Dec 14, 2011
I think that's the problem, nobody really stood out. Early on I thought Tippett was great, but not so much later on. Comtois, Glass were very steady. DiPietro was very solid, can't fault him for any of the goals against other than Shen's (and three defenders can share the blame on that one). Despite the hate Bouchard was the workhorse on D, but he never really sparked -- none of them did. Overall, I think they settled on lines and ice time too quickly, I would have like to see it more balanced because depth was a strength.

"they settled on lines and ice time quickly." yeah i like that comment.
very true.
Remember when Lowry bounced every one around and lost. Then they decided to stick with the plan under Ducharme I think and everyone bought into the "make the talent you have play together and they will find a way." When that plan won everyone bought into it. Now that we lose, the plan doesn't work any more.
we can analize it to death. It will be a problem every year. Some years are diamonds. This year just Glass. No pun intended.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad