WJC: Canada Roster Talk Thred Pt III

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Oddly enough, Canada can't even say they're missing lot of top players due to NHL. Finland has just as many top end talent lost from NHL.

CrazyJoeDavola

Jun 17, 2011
For a team that was supposedly built on speed and skill, they showed very little of either after the first two prelim games. Imo, needed a better balance of physicality and grit. What was always the worry of this squad was that all of these "skilled" guys couldn't buckle down and play defensively, and it showed. Time and time again, we lost puck battles, swiped at loose pucks instead of using our bodies. We got outcoached and every team that we played seemed to want it more. Next year, I hope...

blindpass

May 7, 2010
Who were the 3 mvps for Canada ?
I think that's the problem, nobody really stood out. Early on I thought Tippett was great, but not so much later on. Comtois, Glass were very steady. DiPietro was very solid, can't fault him for any of the goals against other than Shen's (and three defenders can share the blame on that one). Despite the hate Bouchard was the workhorse on D, but he never really sparked -- none of them did. Overall, I think they settled on lines and ice time too quickly, I would have like to see it more balanced because depth was a strength.

ginomini

May 25, 2014
But aren't there official MVPs named after the game when a team is eliminated ?

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Terrible coaching. Lines had no chemistry and they didn't roll 4 lines and use their greatest asset (their depth).

Too many passengers up front; Suzuki was invisible, JAD too.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
This whole 99 group has failed at every international tournament since the u17s. And HC making these decisions for coaching, and for which players are chosen regardless of whether theyre better or not and how old they are compared to their fellow counterparts has been killing us. Quarterfinal knockout on home soil, f***ing embarassing.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
This whole 99 group has failed at every international tournament since the u17s. And HC making these decisions for coaching, and for which players are chosen regardless of whether theyre better or not and how old they are compared to their fellow counterparts has been killing us. Quarterfinal knockout on home soil, f***ing embarassing.
Similar to Russia last year, you can't get attached to age classes. I believe Canada may have done better latching onto the 2000 age group for the defense corps.

Saskatoon

Aug 24, 2006
Saskatoon
Do you know anything about Merkley? Great talent, but it would be a huge risk to bring a player like thate and exactly the sort of choice that would be justifiably ripped to shreds if he pulled one his infamous selfish plays and cost the team.

I do. You shelter guys like that with pp time and ozone starts against weaker competition and let them do what they do. It might not have made the difference but a thought for next year anyways

blindpass

May 7, 2010
I do. You shelter guys like that with pp time and ozone starts against weaker competition and let them do what they do. It might not have made the difference but a thought for next year anyways
If the D we had couldn't generate offense I don't see Merkley being the solution. Meanwhile is he causing other issues? Unhappy with limited ice time? Trying to do it all himself? Making a boneheaded play? It's a great suggestion to make in hindsight knowing things didn't go well, not one anyone takes too seriously in advance when the offensive potential of the defense looked like the least of their concerns. And of course of they choose him and the result was similar then that would have been the reason...

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Bahl would have been a way better option than Phillips i can tell you that for free. He is 6'5, skates like the wind, has a great stick and terrific defensive instincts. Good first pass too, would have been a way better option of a stay at home d. Think methot but more puck skills.

The left side of the D was terrible i cant believe he wasnt even invited to the camp.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Bahl would have been a way better option than Phillips i can tell you that for free. He is 6'5, skates like the wind, has a great stick and terrific defensive instincts. Good first pass too, would have been a way better option of a stay at home d. Think methot but more puck skills.

The left side of the D was terrible i cant believe he wasnt even invited to the camp.
Smith, Brook, Mitchell, Dobson, shouldve been the Ds used in the top four.

Bouchard ruined the team, and Dobson was trusted in offensive ways he couldn't fulfill. He's not an offensive D. Smith and Brook shouldve been given free reign offensively, as theyre the best puck rushers available.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Smith was miles better than those two, look at the minutes, look at the stats and use eyes.
Mitchell has the same number of points as Smith and Brook has one less... He did play more, and he didnt produce. Brook and Mitchell were near perfect defensively.

But Smith wasnt bad at all, Dobson, Phillips, McIsaac and Bouchard were.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Smith, Brook, Mitchell, Dobson, shouldve been the Ds used in the top four.

Bouchard ruined the team, and Dobson was trusted in offensive ways he couldn't fulfill. He's not an offensive D. Smith and Brook shouldve been given free reign offensively, as theyre the best puck rushers available.
This I do agree, the defense played with handcuffs on and the FWDs were terrible covering pinches which put the defensmen on their heels.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
If the D we had couldn't generate offense I don't see Merkley being the solution. Meanwhile is he causing other issues? Unhappy with limited ice time? Trying to do it all himself? Making a boneheaded play? It's a great suggestion to make in hindsight knowing things didn't go well, not one anyone takes too seriously in advance when the offensive potential of the defense looked like the least of their concerns. And of course of they choose him and the result was similar then that would have been the reason...
Bouchard was on that damn team. I'd take Merkley twenty times before him.

Bouchard had like twenty controller disconnected moment in what... ten games ?

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Mitchell has the same number of points as Smith and Brook has one less... He did play more, and he didnt produce. Brook and Mitchell were near perfect defensively.

But Smith wasnt bad at all, Dobson, Phillips, McIsaac and Bouchard were.
Brooks and Mitchell were actually on for some of the worst odd man rushes. If Canada had subpar goaltending you would have noticed it a lot more, he bailed out Brook, Bouchard, Mitchell and Phillips all tourney long. Regardless the defense were all unclear how to play.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
That's very true. 2018/2017/2015 Canada was in the GMG.

2016 Canada was on big ice, got beat by a better team (Finland won gold that year), Dave Lowry, undisciplined play, goaltending was poor. 2014 was the one coached by Brett Sutter, that team had grinders with low skill after the 2nd line. 2013 was the team coached by Steve Spott. It's mind-boggling how we lost in the lockout year after 2 strong drafts, had to be coaching.

I'd say 4 bad years since 2009 including this year. We are always one of the most, if not the most talented team every year in this tournament. There's a reason why the expectation is a gold medal every year, it's hard to blame the players for these losses with the skill level they possess. Coaches should be responsible to selecting the best players and then putting those players in positions to succeed, after all, they did pick them for the team.

The assistant for Tim Hunter was Brent Kisio, the only coach to lose with Canada at the Hlinka Gretzky Cup in the last 12 years. Who makes these decisions? You have to more than just suck at a coach to not even make the semi-finals with Canada's best U18 players.

Last edited:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Brooks and Mitchell were actually on for some of the worst odd man rushes. If Canada had subpar goaltending you would have noticed it a lot more, he bailed out Brook, Bouchard, Mitchell and Phillips all tourney long.
I'm not sure I agree and I've seen every games. I remember one play where Brook was somewhat at fault on a goal, against russia but I'm not sure Mitchell was, I think Brook was actually on the ice with Bouchard or Phillips at that moment and they got totally walked.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad