Olympics: Canada Roster Discussion (Roster in post 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Russia is the only team with professional players? You don't honestly believe this.
There are only 6 non-professionals participating, the NCAA guys and Gionta.

I should have been more specific, I was trying to say that NA is sending it's tier 2 professional players. The only team icing anything close to it's ideal roster is the team formerly known as Russia.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
I should have been more specific, I was trying to say that NA is sending it's tier 2 professional players. The only team icing anything close to it's ideal roster is the team formerly known as Russia.

And that's not true either lol. Russia is missing their best goalies, their best wingers, their best centre. Everyone has lost talent, and a lot of it.

The one good thing is that it should be the most even tournament in a long time. Russia has the best roster, yes, but I wouldn't be surprised to see any of Canada, the US, Finland, Sweden, Czech Republic, or Slovakia also contend for the gold model. Countries like Norway, Switzerland, and Germany also could conceivably medal with a very strong performance, whereas only Switzerland would have had any chance (and a very small one at that) at a bronze. It should be the most interesting tournament since 1998.

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin

Your entitled to your opinion, but as far as I'm concerned I'm not looking at these games as an all or nothing, black and white, 'if the best aren't there it sucks' tournament.
As a fan of the game I'm interested in seeing the best non-NHL talent each country has to offer. It's sort of a unique opportunity. And, as such, you better believe NHL scouts will be all over it.

Of course the olympics aren't as meaningful without the world's best players, but it still could be extremely entertaining. Hell, I can't fathom it being any less entertaining than the snooze-fest that was the Sochi tournament. Each to their own however.

Reactions: bert and iSophagus

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
And that's not true either lol. Russia is missing their best goalies, their best wingers, their best centre. Everyone has lost talent, and a lot of it.

The one good thing is that it should be the most even tournament in a long time. Russia has the best roster, yes, but I wouldn't be surprised to see any of Canada, the US, Finland, Sweden, Czech Republic, or Slovakia also contend for the gold model. Countries like Norway, Switzerland, and Germany also could conceivably medal with a very strong performance, whereas only Switzerland would have had any chance (and a very small one at that) at a bronze. It should be the most interesting tournament since 1998.

The team formerly known as Russia will be the least impacted by this change. Yes they are losing people but they're also one of the only premier countries whose talent isn't primarily in the NHL. There is no reason they shouldn't win the gold, they are far and away the clear favorites this year.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
The team formerly known as Russia will be the least impacted by this change. Yes they are losing people but they're also one of the only premier countries whose talent isn't primarily in the NHL. There is no reason they shouldn't win the gold, they are far and away the clear favorites this year.

I don't like the way you're wording this. "Least impacted" ignores the very real fact they were strongly impacted by it as well. I think you're making the mistake a lot of people have been with these Olympics in assuming that other teams replacement players are scrubs. They're not. Much of Canada's team are top players in their respective leagues, including the KHL. Russia has the strongest team, but they're not on a pedestal above everyone else. They are and should be the favourites, but no one should be surprised if they don't medal, let alone don't win the gold. This is a very even tournament, with Canada still having a very good shot at gold. Every one of it's skaters are top line or top pairing defensemen in Europe. Goaltending is one area of weakness, but in a short tournament anything can happen. The best goalies can fall apart and the worst can rise above.

Canadians are being way too pessimistic. These guys might have been has-bins in the NHL but they're stars in Europe and they can win gold.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Not one player on the team would be playing if the NHL players were allowed to play. I don't care how much they make they are a step below the NHL and inferior players, especially for NA.

The ratings are going to be terrible.
Lots of players on that team could play in the NHL right now. You have no idea what you are talking about.

Secondly its not the players fault, blame Bettman and the owners.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I don't like the way you're wording this. "Least impacted" ignores the very real fact they were strongly impacted by it as well. I think you're making the mistake a lot of people have been with these Olympics in assuming that other teams replacement players are scrubs. They're not. Much of Canada's team are top players in their respective leagues, including the KHL. Russia has the strongest team, but they're not on a pedestal above everyone else. They are and should be the favourites, but no one should be surprised if they don't medal, let alone don't win the gold. This is a very even tournament, with Canada still having a very good shot at gold. Every one of it's skaters are top line or top pairing defensemen in Europe. Goaltending is one area of weakness, but in a short tournament anything can happen. The best goalies can fall apart and the worst can rise above.

Canadians are being way too pessimistic. These guys might have been has-bins in the NHL but they're stars in Europe and they can win gold.

Thank goodness someone knows what they are talking about! Eh men Brother and lets go for Gold Canada EHHH

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010

Are you joking? Virtually none of these guys would be on the team if Russians in the NHL were available. It is not as if half of the best Russians are in the NHL and the other half in the KHL. About 99% of the most talented players are in the NHL. The best talents on the Russian team will be the guys who have already played a full career in the NHL and are now considered to be in their "latter years." Kovalchuk is the closest to NHL-ready, and he is 35.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Are you joking? Virtually none of these guys would be on the team if Russians in the NHL were available. It is not as if half of the best Russians are in the NHL and the other half in the KHL. About 99% of the most talented players are in the NHL. The best talents on the Russian team will be the guys who have already played a full career in the NHL and are now considered to be in their "latter years." Kovalchuk is the closest to NHL-ready, and he is 35.

That’s simply not accurate in 2014 the team sent 8 KHL players and I think 16 NHL players that’s a third of the team.

There isn’t one player on the Canadian or American roster who would make the team if the NHL was eligible.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
going to the canada vs switzerland game. should be a tough game considering how well the swiss play vs canada...and thats when we have a start studded lineup

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Not one player on the team would be playing if the NHL players were allowed to play. I don't care how much they make they are a step below the NHL and inferior players, especially for NA.

The ratings are going to be terrible.

they wouldnt be great either way. How many people are watching a game at 4am or even 9am on a work day?

Reactions: bert

JesusPrice

Aug 14, 2007
Newfoundland
I dislike how the automatic thought is that because the players from the NHL are not there, the games are going to be inadequate and poor. I've been to many AHL games and they are just as entertaining as their big league counterparts; great action and entertaining.

What I love is that Canada will really have to fight to make its place. We know Canada would be the favorite if they had NHL players. We've been there and done that, this gives us a new challenge. Canada could win or finish 7th. To me that's more entertaining then watching Towes and Crosby win another gold. Guys like Chris Lee and Rene Bourque will give every effort that would trump the guys from the NHL who have done it before (imo).

I can't wait to watch them compete, and will be proud (even if they don't win)

Saitama

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
The olympics are supposed to be about the best in the world competing. This is a farce. I don't even care if Canada wins gold this year because it's an invalid result.

Reactions: my name is Bob

Mehar

Apr 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
The olympics are supposed to be about the best in the world competing. This is a farce. I don't even care if Canada wins gold this year because it's an invalid result.
Absolutely. The real farce will be reading some posters from other countries- call themselves the best in the world, if their country beats Canada, and wins gold. This tournament is another Spengler Cup. I have no interest as well.

Reactions: cg98 and WPGNYRFan

flaneur

Jul 17, 2013
Watching Crosby's doppelganger Sven Kramer 3-peat gold in the 5K (speed skating) made me sad and angry at how there won't be a potential 3-peat for Crosby and the golden generation team.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
Absolutely. The real farce will be reading some posters from other countries- call themselves the best in the world, if their country beats Canada, and wins gold. This tournament is another Spengler Cup. I have no interest as well.
If Canada wins this no NHL Olys it is even more impressive to me. Shows hos much talent they have strewn across the world. That's depth if anything. Just try to enjoy it. Going to be a blast. Don't have your fun ruined if some people from, say, Slovakia believe that they are suddenly a powerhouse. Let them have this one. You guys always trample down the little guys every four years otherwise.

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden

Seems as you have missed that KHL actually attract Russian talent the last decade or so. Russia is the top team least impacted by Bettman.

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
As much as I normally love to pile on Bettman and the owners, I think this one's on the IOC.

No, the deal was like it was before. It is Bettman who got an idea that NHL can and must [sic] compete with the Olympics in prestige. He is just lowering the impact of NHL in the world beyond NA by this and in the end the revenue for the owners.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I think we'll see the NHL back there in 2022 but I'll be giving this tournament a chance, best of luck to all teams and all players at the events.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad