Olympics: Canada Roster Discussion (Roster in post 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
ya, but Makar would be a star at this tournament. too bad he declined.
It is, I was so impressed with that guy at the juniors. It was the first time i had gotten to see him play and man, what a talent.

I have no problem saying he is going to be a great N.H.L player, he's so smart and skilled.

Colorado made the right pick there, his skating and offensive acumen is off the charts, he really does look like Karlsson.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I doubt they would get creamed against South Korea, they would be less skilled and all but at least there would have been some intensity.
They might make a game of that one but against pretty much anyone else they would lose convincingly.

They are still kids against men and those men are pretty darn good players. can you imagine them going up against Russia? it would be a massacre.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Loving the grind line of Klinkhammer O'Dell Lapierre they have been consistently the best line on the team. Anyone have face off percentages? Seems like O'Dell wins every draw he takes, he's been really physical too. Looks like the prototypical 4th line center in the NHL. Wonder if he gets another shot.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Loving the grind line of Klinkhammer O'Dell Lapierre they have been consistently the best line on the team. Anyone have face off percentages? Seems like O'Dell wins every draw he takes, he's been really physical too. Looks like the prototypical 4th line center in the NHL. Wonder if he gets another shot.

When O'Dell was with the Jets we were often wondering why he wasn't given a bigger shot.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
This is a thing? Hockey Canada objects to French pronunciation of players' names | News | CBC Olympics | PyeongChang 2018 I know, as a total outsider, that bilingualism can be a sensitive issue. But surely this is something that should be hashed out before the games even start? Especially if it's a tradition to hire announcers from Montreal. How do other sports announcers in the Olympics handle pronunciation of Canadian atheletes?

old.jpg

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Not sure who makes this tough roster
But this line should remain the same...

Marchand Crosby Bergeron

Reactions: um

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
This forward group has the chance to be special.

Barzal-Mcdavid-Mackinnon:
one of the fastest lines ever made, not a D pairing in the world that can slow them down.
Marchand-Crosby-Bergeron:
Everyone remembers the last time this line was put together
Couturier-O’Reilly-Stone:
The match-up line. These guys hop over the boards when Panarin-Malkin-Kucherov or Gaudreau-Matthews-Kane step on to the ice.
Huberdeau-Point-Marner:
Just an embarrassment of riches to have as a 4th line.
Extras like Scheifele, Hall, Tavares and/or Stamkos as well...

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
This forward group has the chance to be special.

Barzal-Mcdavid-Mackinnon:
one of the fastest lines ever made, not a D pairing in the world that can slow them down.
Marchand-Crosby-Bergeron:
Everyone remembers the last time this line was put together
Couturier-O’Reilly-Stone:
The match-up line. These guys hop over the boards when Panarin-Malkin-Kucherov or Gaudreau-Matthews-Kane step on to the ice.
Huberdeau-Point-Marner:
Just an embarrassment of riches to have as a 4th line.
Extras like Scheifele, Hall, Tavares and/or Stamkos as well...

No Toews?

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Have to imagine Toews-Makar will be Canada's #1 pairing.

Considering they already play together every night with Colorado, that already built up chemistry will be all the more important in such a quick tournament. Toews also being Colorado's top PKer means Canada gets a quality PK guy and Top PP runner out of the pairing.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Have to imagine Toews-Makar will be Canada's #1 pairing.

Considering they already play together every night with Colorado, that already built up chemistry will be all the more important in such a quick tournament. Toews also being Colorado's top PKer means Canada gets a quality PK guy and Top PP runner out of the pairing.
I'd argue Theodore-Pietrangelo has just as good if not better chances of being the top pair. Not even sure if Toews makes it. I'd rather them play Theodore, Chabot, Chychrun, Pelech, etc. on the left side.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Take the lines and where each forward is depth-wise here with a grain of salt, I just tried to pick the top 12 forwards with as much emphasis as possible on players sticking to their familiar spots (LW plays LW etc). I really dislike having 5/6 centers playing on the wing which explains Wheeler and Hall over others; Bergeron is an obvious exception as he'll be the man on the PK.

Huberdeau-McDavid-(Edit: Stamkos)
Barzal-MacKinnon-Stone
Marchand-Crosby-Bergeron
Hall-Point-Marner
O'Reilly

Theodore, Pietrangelo, Makar, Chabot, Hamilton, Girard (Reilly/Doughty extra)

Price in net, I'd like to see how early season goes before settling on his backup.

Last edited:

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Take the lines and where each forward is depth-wise here with a grain of salt, I just tried to pick the top 12 forwards with as much emphasis as possible on players sticking to their familiar spots (LW plays LW etc). I really dislike having 5/6 centers playing on the wing which explains Wheeler and Hall over others; Bergeron is an obvious exception as he'll be the man on the PK.

Huberdeau-McDavid-Wheeler
Barzal-MacKinnon-Stone
Marchand-Crosby-Bergeron
Hall-Point-Marner
(O'Reilly/Stamkos as extra forwards)

Theodore, Pietrangelo, Makar, Chabot, Hamilton, Girard (Reilly extra)

Price in net, I'd like to see how early season goes before settling on his backup.

Wheeler is an American.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Do folks really think it's a lock Jonathan Toews isn't selected? I'm not saying he *should* be picked, but Hockey Canada tends to stick with guys who've been huge for them in the past, and Toews was just that in 2010 and 2014.

Even if it's in a reduced role, I could see them slotting him in as 4C or as the 13th forward.

Reactions: thai jet

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Do folks really think it's a lock Jonathan Toews isn't selected? I'm not saying he *should* be picked, but Hockey Canada tends to stick with guys who've been huge for them in the past, and Toews was just that in 2010 and 2014.

Even if it's in a reduced role, I could see them slotting him in as 4C or as the 13th forward.
It all depends how he looks this year.

Agreed that he’ll get a little bit of favouritism

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Well he missed a year of hockey so who knows where his game will be at. If he's playing really well then sure but if he is having a bit of a tough go of it getting back up to speed then I don't see him being on the team. There will be plenty of veteran leadership on the team already.

Mathieukferland

Oct 11, 2020
Sloane Square, Chelsea, England

He would need to have a career year to even be considered the centre depth on Canada is bonkers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad