Canada names roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canadian Chris

Feb 28, 2002
Nanaimo, BC
Visit site
lol...looks like Steve Nash may be leaving the Phoenix Suns though to come play for Canada....little typ-o there. What a guy though, rather play for his country than his basketball team! :joker:

Eddie Vedder

Sep 8, 2003
Canadian Chris said:
lol...looks like Steve Nash may be leaving the Phoenix Suns though to come play for Canada....little typ-o there. What a guy though, rather play for his country than his basketball team! :joker:

No doubt. Canada will be unstoppable with Nash's avg 11 assists per game :bow: :bow:

Gagne - Thornton - Heatley
Smyth - Morrison - Nash
Morrow - Marleau - Doan
Maltby - Draper - Fisher

Jovo - Redden
Regehr - Souray
Hannan - Phillips/Boyle

Brodeur
luongo
turco

Not a bad team though, obviously missing 3 of the best defenceman in the league and some of the greatest superstars, but still a more then competitive team. Heatley will have to step up big time. And the potential for bertuzzi to suit up too if he gets reinstated soon enough (please please please). I doubt they are waiting for him though, personally I think they are probably giving St. Louis, Richards, or Briere some more time to commit. St louis' wife did have her baby but it was premature so lets hope everything works out and he can suit up. The other two have injuries. I personally have no idea how long it will take for them to recover. anyone got any idea?

Last edited:

Burnaby_Joe*

Canada is allowed to add one more player. Gee, I wonder who that could be. :shakehead

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
Canada's roster > Russia's roster

Russia's team is even worse on paper than the World Cup team :lol:

but Canada won't win this time, I just know it.

sensens

Jun 11, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
FreshBrew said:
Gagne - Thornton - Heatley
Smyth - Morrison - Nash
Morrow - Marleau - Doan
Maltby - Draper - Fisher

Jovo - Redden
Regehr - Souray
Hannan - Phillips/Boyle
Would there not be a good chance that Thornton and Nash (usually a LW) would be lined together, given that they've been paired in Davos all year? I know Gagne's been prominent for Team Canada, but with Heatley, Nash, Smyth and Doan in the mix... I just don't think a top-6 spot is in the works. I also don't think that Jovanovski-Redden would be wise, given that they are arguably the two most offensive minded d-men on the team.

Were it me, I'd have the following...

Nash-Thornton-Heatley (very 'legion of doom'-ish)
Smyth-Morrison-Doan (balanced, potent 2nd line)
Gagne-Marleau-Morrow (strong 2-way line)
Maltby-Draper-Fisher (energy to burn)

Jovanovski-Regehr (tough as nails, Jovanovski can gamble if needed)
Redden-Hannan (Hannan allows Redden to get more involved)
Souray-Phillips (solid 3rd pairing)

Brodeur-Luongo (kind of speaks for itself)

Just my $0.02

BBruins7719428

Nov 4, 2003
Burlington, VT
sensens said:
Would there not be a good chance that Thornton and Nash (usually a LW) would be lined together, given that they've been paired in Davos all year? I know Gagne's been prominent for Team Canada, but with Heatley, Nash, Smyth and Doan in the mix... I just don't think a top-6 spot is in the works. I also don't think that Jovanovski-Redden would be wise, given that they are arguably the two most offensive minded d-men on the team.

Just my $0.02

I like it!

Habsfan 32

Aug 18, 2004
Way up north...
I think Canada has a very good again and should win. They can't go wrong with either of their 3 goalies and their defense is also very solid and they should realy help the forwards by joining the rush.

time

Feb 26, 2005
I think Souray adds what Aucoin would. Whether this be the right call, I'm not sure. But Sheldon did have a great season in Europe. Hab fans can attest to this: when Sheldon is on his game, he's very, very good. His shot is blistering.

I think if Canada has trouble it will be in scoring goals. Ryder might have been a better choice than Fisher since he's a bonafide sniper, but then Fisher does have wheels. Whatever the case, the 13th-forward-to-be-named-later will have to be a goal scorer.

Who might give this team trouble? Those Czechs are loaded with scorers. This would give me pause except for. . . uh. . . um. . . oh yeah: Marty Brodeur!

Eddie Vedder

Sep 8, 2003
sensens said:

Just my $0.02

Put together my lineup just off the top of my head from the article. Yours definatly has more thought into it.. only reason i put jovo and redden together was because IIRC they were paired together at the WC last year.. thought I could definatly be wrong.

I do see gagne in a top 6 role though, there we can disagree. Gagne wont be playing with morrison, would make for two tiny forwards getting pasted, but I could definatly see him along side Nash and/or Thornton. We'll see though.

Lets hope bertuzzi is the mystery last name though, and we can have:

Nash - Thornton - Bertuzzi.

Now thats scary.

Vinceee

Go Foreurs Go!
Apr 27, 2004
Amos, QC
Why nobody named Paul Kariya? The guy had one bad season, but damn he is still one of the fastest skater in the world and what a playmaker he is...

He was one of the best player on team Canada during the olympics in Salt Lake!

Burnaby_Joe*

Catcher.In.The.RyE said:
Why nobody named Paul Kariya?

I don't think he's played this year. I heard he's too busy surfing and hanging out on the beach.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
A few things to note:
*Nine forwards are back from our World Cup-winning entry. Not bad, although the six aren't back (Lecavalier, Lemieux, Sakic, Iginla, Richards and St. Louis) are six damn good players. Nash, Fisher and Morrison are the only new forwards on the team.
*Defence is solid. Jovanovski and Redden are two of the best in the game. Regher and Hannan want to improve on their respectable showings at the World Cup. Phillips, Boyle and Souray all have something to prove, and a chance to showcase their abilities for future tournaments.
*Goaltending is the best in the tournament. Turco would likely be the No. 1 on any other team. He's our No. 3.

With this entry, Canada should be the favourite. It may be the best all-round team Canada has ever sent, and that team would be even better if Bertuzzi joins the team. But this is by no means an odds-on favourite team, and if they take an opponent lightly, they'll get beat. Canada isn't the only team icing their best team in years.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Canada and the Czech Republic look like the paper favorites for this tournament. Finland will put up the best pound-for-pound performance as usual. Russia and the USA could go either way. Both teams have good enough lineups to do well but seem like the most likely teams to crash and burn. I'm not too familiar with what Sweden's team will look like at the moment. Their chances depend a lot on who's playing.

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
God Bless Canada said:
A few things to note:
*Nine forwards are back from our World Cup-winning entry. Not bad, although the six aren't back (Lecavalier, Lemieux, Sakic, Iginla, Richards and St. Louis) are six damn good players. Nash, Fisher and Morrison are the only new forwards on the team.
*Defence is solid. Jovanovski and Redden are two of the best in the game. Regher and Hannan want to improve on their respectable showings at the World Cup. Phillips, Boyle and Souray all have something to prove, and a chance to showcase their abilities for future tournaments.
*Goaltending is the best in the tournament. Turco would likely be the No. 1 on any other team. He's our No. 3.

With this entry, Canada should be the favourite. It may be the best all-round team Canada has ever sent, and that team would be even better if Bertuzzi joins the team. But this is by no means an odds-on favourite team, and if they take an opponent lightly, they'll get beat. Canada isn't the only team icing their best team in years.

Now please tell me how many of those players haven't played serious hockey this season?

espo*

Whew!! does look strong,all those stars deciding not to attend and we can still put out a team as formidable on paper as that,nice.If they get their game legs and come together as a team they'll be very difficult to beat.In a seven game series i'd put them as favourite over anyone but it's single elimination so gelling of course is all important along with geting good goaltending and some breaks here and there.Nice team,defense can throw anyone around.If they can become a coheisive unit by playoff round time then watch out,they'll be a miserable opponent to play against. I will echo what another poster said about Kariya though,he could really be of use here.Still,nice balance on this team.Go get em guys :madfire:

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
If they thought about adding Kariya, Tanguay better be a spot above him, not only is he actually playing this year but he could also use the international experience.

For the actual roster, Nash-Thornton-Heatley = Canada's future line of better-then-youness, it has the potential to be as potent as the line of Gagne-Sakic-Iginla that we saw in the olympics, except physically superior (in terms of size). It's going to be fun, it will be the first time I won't be angry at PA members...but only because my blind loyalty towards Canada demands it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad