Canada names roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
It'll be interesting to see how the defence breaks down...7 dman and only 1 of them, Dan Boyle, is a right handed d-man...which I assume assures him a spot...

My guess is...

Redden-Regehr
Jovanoski-Hannan
Souray-Boyle
Phillips

Some would maybe have Phillips over Souray, but i give Souray the edge, because of his ability to create scoring chances on the PP due to his shot and superior physical play, nothing against Phillips, I actually think he's better than Redden...but Souray has played all year in Sweeden and played quite well...

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
I wouldn't be so quick to note Turco as the 3rd goalie. He's every bit as good as Luongo, and has actually played hockey this year. Not to mention he was phenomenal during last year's WC..

Freaking insane though, how deep Canada's goalie pool is. Especially in comparison to team USA's. Canada has like 5 of the best goalies in the NHL (Brodeur, Turco, Luongo, Theodore, Giguere)..

Too bad Arnott wasn't considered, I always had him in between Doan and Nash/Smyth with my NHL 2005 a while back.. hehe.. Big, nasty line with some heavy shot power..

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Ott = Snott said:
I wouldn't be so quick to note Turco as the 3rd goalie. He's every bit as good as Luongo, and has actually played hockey this year. Not to mention he was phenomenal during last year's WC..

Freaking insane though, how deep Canada's goalie pool is. Especially in comparison to team USA's. Canada has like 5 of the best goalies in the NHL (Brodeur, Turco, Luongo, Theodore, Giguere)..

Too bad Arnott wasn't considered, I always had him in between Doan and Nash/Smyth with my NHL 2005 a while back.. hehe.. Big, nasty line with some heavy shot power..

There's no doubt that Canada has the best goaltender depth BY FAR. The cool thing is, you only need one guy to get hot to see you through.

espo*

Ott = Snott said:
I'm probably stupid, but eloborate on this part..
I suppose he means it's nice to have goaltending depth but if you can have just one guy who is playing gangbusters then depth does'nt matter (except if that guy playing great gets hurt) True too,every team just needs just one hot stopper,the game isn't played with three goalies. I am glad we have Brodeur,Luongo and turco on board but i'm fine with only having one goalie as long as he's playing bi$%in out there.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Ott = Snott said:
I'm probably stupid, but eloborate on this part..

What I'm trying to say, is that:

1) A team can only ice one goaltender at a time.
2) Any team, even one that is overmatched can still win a game based on the ability of it's goaltender.

Even though Canada has the best goaltender (Brodeur) and the best goaltending depth, it's not a given they will win. Other countries (including the U.S.) have goalies that can steal a game/tournament.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
cyclops said:
I suppose he means it's nice to have goaltending depth but if you can have just one guy who is playing gangbusters then depth does'nt matter (except if that guy playing great gets hurt) True too,every team just needs just one hot stopper,the game isn't played with three goalies. I am glad we have Brodeur,Luongo and turco on board but i'm fine with only having one goalie as long as he's playing bi$%in out there.

Bingo!

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Oh I agree with that, definitely. Though it does makes you feel extremely comfortable and safe knowing you have this amount of depth.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
i think Nash, Thornton, and Heatley are going to have to be the ones to put this team over the top...it's not that the other guys aren't good but other teams in the tourney have players who are just as good as them. I think for Canada to differentiate itself, those big 3 are going to have to step up and dominate games.

but the defense and goaltending are solid as usual...

espo*

Ott = Snott said:
Oh I agree with that, definitely. Though it does makes you feel extremely comfortable and safe knowing you have this amount of depth.
Definately,if one of the guys goes down we can feel reasonably confident the other two can carry the mail whereas other teams fans whose teams are in the same situation are going to feel a bit more nervous if their top guy goes down.Say we put Broduer in and because he has'nt played all year he is rusty and stinks the joint out(not out of the realm of possibility at all) we can still relax as Turco is a proven good goalie who has played this year and Luongo is a world class stopper who has the capability to win games by himself.It's a nice feeling going in for sure.Afeeling we can have that others maybe can't

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Ott = Snott said:

Ridiculous im sorry but he isnt even close to Luongo. The only goaltender that has collapsed more in the post season then he has is Lalime.

They are going for the youngest team possible no point in bringing in Arnott's.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Rocky Saginuts said:
Yeah, 10 years is probably pushing it, but I see them both in that 2nd tier of CDN Dmen.

Tier 1 is Pronger, Neidermeyer, Blake, and Jovo
Tier 2 is Regehr, Hannan, Brewer and Morris
Tier 3 is Redden (never dug that dude...), Souray, Foote (due to age only), McCabe, Phillips, etc.

Neidermeyer will make way for Jay Bo in the next few years. Blake will be replaced by Phaneuf. Pronger's knees are almost shot.

That still leaves the Tier 2's for a few years yet.

How are Brewer Morris and Hannan on a different level then Redden and Foote. I really cant see you presenting any kindof real argument to prove your point.

Burnaby_Joe*

A hockey analyst in the states said it best, "In Canada, you can shake a tree, and great goalies will appear"

espo*

bert said:
How are Brewer Morris and Hannan on a different level then Redden and Foote. I really cant see you presenting any kindof real argument to prove your point.
Foote is definately in tier 1.He's one of the best defensemen in the game and it's a total joke he isn't reguarly up for the norris.

espo*

Jadakiss said:
A hockey analyst in the states said it best, "In Canada, you can shake a tree, and great goalies will appear"
Great quote......... :biglaugh: Classic line.True too

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
bert said:
Ridiculous im sorry but he isnt even close to Luongo. The only goaltender that has collapsed more in the post season then he has is Lalime.

They are going for the youngest team possible no point in bringing in Arnott's.

Not only are you rediculously unknowledgable regarding Marty Turco, but the reasoning as of why Jason Arnott did not make the squad is doesn't hold any water either, seeing as say.. Brendan Morrison did make it..

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Explain to me how Turco hasnt choked and how he is as good as Luongo......

Clearly a creative offensive player with SPEED like Morrison who has outscored Arnott every season since he was on the A line is a much better pick for the big ice.

gretzky99

Ott = Snott said:
Not only are you rediculously unknowledgable regarding Marty Turco, but the reasoning as of why Jason Arnott did not make the squad is doesn't hold any water either, seeing as say.. Brendan Morrison did make it..

I really don't know where you are going with this one. I agree, that the initial comment of Turco being WAY worse then Luongo was a bit silly. Needless to say though, I don't think you could succesfully prove to anyone that Turco is a better goalie then Luongo at this time. Plus, it has being quite evident that Team Canada see Luongo as "Taking over" from Brodeur when he is done.

As for Morrison vs Arnott. I am a Canuck fan, so there is obvious bias. I think that they are both good players, but on the larger ice you usually take the faster player. Add in that Morrison has out performed Arnott (Please, lets not get into the inflated stats argument, its not like Arnott plays on a bad team) for the last while, I think its an easy decsion. Plus, Morrison has played for team Canada more then Arnott (I believe, not entirely sure).

In the end though, I believe you were more annoyed by Turco's unjust evaluation by another poster.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Here's one to add to the "how the mighty have fallen" file. Did anyone even consider the name of Eric Lindros for this team? No one -- no one in the media, amongst the fans, or in Hockey Canada. The guy has fallen right off the radar screen, a complete non-entity as a player at the ripe old age of 32. The gap between the career that guy should have had, and the one he actually had, is like a canyon...

aforc3

Oct 7, 2004
Switzerland;Zurich
I have seen how good Thornton and Nash plays together !! both player just rocks,

Thornton gives a Assist and Rick Scores infront of the Goalie or he makes a nice move and shoots :)

bytheway why is Daniel Briere not in the Team ??? Briere and Heatley the both played in Bern !!

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Here's one to add to the "how the mighty have fallen" file. Did anyone even consider the name of Eric Lindros for this team? No one -- no one in the media, amongst the fans, or in Hockey Canada. The guy has fallen right off the radar screen, a complete non-entity as a player at the ripe old age of 32. The gap between the career that guy should have had, and the one he actually had, is like a canyon...

the sad thing is he could still be one of the best players in the league if he wouldn't keep getting injured...as soon as he starts to play like he needs to in order to be dominant, he gets injured

espo*

colonel_korn said:
Well, from the looks of things Brodeur won't have any trouble covering most of the net.

http://img61.echo.cx/img61/2014/fatmarty6ux.jpg

Jeez Marty, been training hard over the lockout? :joker:
lol,oh man.This is the second thing that has disturbed me about Canadian chances in current international tournaments.The morning is gettin off on a bad foot!! Cmon Marty buddy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad