Canada has "rigged, kidnapped and bought the Wjc"

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia
Idk why but Swedes, on average, look to have the most hostile and angry fans and media towards Canada. Even moreso than the US. The Finns seem chill with us, same with the Czechs and even the Russians for the most part.

The Swedes just have this bizarre bitterness towards us.

Snauen

Dec 27, 2017
Idk why but Swedes, on average, look to have the most hostile and angry fans and media towards Canada. Even moreso than the US. The Finns seem chill with us, same with the Czechs and even the Russians for the most part.

The Swedes just have this bizarre bitterness towards us.
Way to take it personal when this (thread) is about corruption.. sigh

Snauen

Dec 27, 2017
The fact is that, aside from the hockey die hards on this board and elsewhere, the tournament just doesn’t register enough with Europeans, much like the WHCs doesn’t get much traction on this side of the ocean.

Enjoy your monopoly on prime time TV for the WHCs and chalk that up as the cost for the WJCs spending more time over in our backyard.
For sure, this tournament is a success, (comparing with what it was before the 90s) and fun to watch, for sure! Good job by you (the Canadians)! Still, if there is corruption, get rid of it. I think some of it has been taken care of already (the scandals)

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
It’s an under 20 tournament. Is the under 20 FIFA World Cup popular?

No one takes that seriously. Not even the participants. It's a totally different ball game as almost no real top-flight talent is there to compete with a few exceptions.

Despite that I do believe attendance is higher in FIFA WC and Juniors WHC, ironically..

Last edited by a moderator:

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Does he not realize Canada hosted three in a row due to COVID?

2021 & 2022 only happened in Canada because of the need for a "bubble" atmosphere, and as is the 2022 one even got pushed back to the summer due to a COVID outbreak. I can't say for sure but I don't recall any European countries stepping up to the plate.

Canadians also follow the WJC more than any other nationality. Games are consistently sold out, and it allows Americans to travel relatively easily to the games.

Last edited:

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
It's over-dramatic and not that serious, but not necessarily wrong.

At the same time, nobody else wants it. Even my fellow NHL fans I talk a lot of hockey with in the States simply don't care, they don't even know USA is playing for Gold today.

Hockey Canada is more or less in charge of international hockey. The World Under-17 Challenge is a Hockey Canada event (not IIHF), the Gretzky-Hlinka Tournament is a Hockey Canada event (not IIHF, although it's a Czechoslovakian legacy from when it started, so it's "technically" a collaborative effort with Czech and Slovak federations), the World Junior A Challenge is a Hockey Canada event (not IIHF).

That leaves the IIHF Under-18 (where Canada makes sure loudly that everyone knows they don't care about it), the IIHF Under-20 (not a Hockey Canada event but may as well be), the IIHF World Championship and the Olympics.

To be honest, Hockey Canada should use its influence to get Russia back in (which it wants, Canada-Russia is a big draw whether Russia is good or bad). Back in the day, if countries took issue with another country, they boycotted themselves (Western countries at Moscow Olympics, Canada from IIHF due to shamateurs). To me, if a country like Finland refuses to play against Russia, they can forfeit if their principles are so strong. I'd have a lot more respect for that rather than see them be rewarded with a Bronze Medal because they artificially took away a team that might beat them. If Canada pressed on the IIHF hard enough, they could likely end that ban. It's gone on long enough. Across generations, Canada-Russia, USA-Russia and Canada-USA games are always far more interesting than other matchups.

Agree with this... yes the war is bad and I hate to see what's going on but keeping Russia out of the WJC is making zero difference. At least let the kids play against their counterparts, they didn't ask for this war and have no control over it.

Last edited:

macbowes

Aug 1, 2022
Victoria
What exactly are the claims being leveled in the article? I haven't seen any evidence of corruption in Hockey Canada. Is the accusation that Hockey Canada is paying the IIHF to give Hockey Canada more say than they would normally get? The WJC has mostly Canada to thank for its current, and past success, so I think it's more likely Hockey Canada is simply the best partner that the IIHF has with respect to this tournament, and as a result, we host the most tournaments.

Won't even really address the nonsense Russia/Putin comparison.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Odd year to have the rigged accusations. I personally didn't think Canada had much of a chance (IMO, this was their weakest squad since 2019) to begin with. & as is, they didn't make the semis.

matsqq

Jan 3, 2011
I skimmed through the article previously but now it's locked for me.

Probably some guys in Canada made a great deal once upon a time when buying the rights.

Something like when the natives sold "New York" for some glass pearls :)

But to give a fair judgment one would have to read the article thoroughly, otherwise we will have to do what we always do on these boards - resort to our usual nationalistic/protectionistic/biased opinions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad