Canada has "rigged, kidnapped and bought the Wjc"

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
If that were true they'd be playing for, and winning gold literallyevery year but they don't as this year proves.
This, and Canadians still pay stupid amounts of money even when their team finishes 5th or 6th.

Weird hill for Sweden to die on, especially this year when they'll finish 1st or 2nd and Canada didn't even make the semis

Reactions: Voight

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
This, and Canadians still pay stupid amounts of money even when their team finishes 5th or 6th.

Weird hill for Sweden to die on, especially this year when they'll finish 1st or 2nd and Canada didn't even make the semis

Clearly the guy “researched” and wrote the article well before and is probably kind of miffed about the actual results.

I liked the part where one country hosting three years in a row was “unprecedented”, as if some other unprecedented globe-spanning catastrophe was not happening at the same time.

I assume his follow-up article will delve into the fact that Canada has hosted the “World” Championships once in like 100 years.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Just look at the total attendance for this weekend through 5 games. It was something like 100,000 total fans for every game combined until after the quarter finals.

Canada games alone next year for there 5 games will most likely get close to 97,000 fans at there games. Then add another something like 30 games to those numbers and that will show why Canada usually hosts the tournament every year or every couple years.

Sweden did a good job for there own games, but the Canadian fans basically bumped up the other teams attendance drastically.

Reactions: Oryxo

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
It's over-dramatic and not that serious, but not necessarily wrong.

At the same time, nobody else wants it. Even my fellow NHL fans I talk a lot of hockey with in the States simply don't care, they don't even know USA is playing for Gold today.

Hockey Canada is more or less in charge of international hockey. The World Under-17 Challenge is a Hockey Canada event (not IIHF), the Gretzky-Hlinka Tournament is a Hockey Canada event (not IIHF, although it's a Czechoslovakian legacy from when it started, so it's "technically" a collaborative effort with Czech and Slovak federations), the World Junior A Challenge is a Hockey Canada event (not IIHF).

That leaves the IIHF Under-18 (where Canada makes sure loudly that everyone knows they don't care about it), the IIHF Under-20 (not a Hockey Canada event but may as well be), the IIHF World Championship and the Olympics.

To be honest, Hockey Canada should use its influence to get Russia back in (which it wants, Canada-Russia is a big draw whether Russia is good or bad). Back in the day, if countries took issue with another country, they boycotted themselves (Western countries at Moscow Olympics, Canada from IIHF due to shamateurs). To me, if a country like Finland refuses to play against Russia, they can forfeit if their principles are so strong. I'd have a lot more respect for that rather than see them be rewarded with a Bronze Medal because they artificially took away a team that might beat them. If Canada pressed on the IIHF hard enough, they could likely end that ban. It's gone on long enough. Across generations, Canada-Russia, USA-Russia and Canada-USA games are always far more interesting than other matchups.
To my knowledge, there's nothing stopping Canada or anyone else from holding their own tournament not under the IIHF umbrella where Russia could square off against Canada and US.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I assume his follow-up article will delve into the fact that Canada has hosted the “World” Championships once in like 100 years.
Similar to Europeans with the world juniors, they don’t bid for it. The nhl arenas are being used. I think there’s a bit of an overlap between the worlds and the major junior league championship series so there’s a bit of a complication there and I’m not sure how well equipped junior cities outside of a couple are to host the Sr. Worlds.

allroundfan

Dec 29, 2011
Sweden
I mean, there is no need to frame it like that. This is a Swedish tabloid, up there among the worst newspapers in the country. I refuse to even click their links anymore.

I don't think most swedes would find it strange (or due some kind of corruption) that the tournament is hosted so often by Canada, considering the interest in hockey there.

Reactions: Slimmy

RBbandit

Jan 4, 2020
Even though I'm European and the time difference sucks I prefer full arenas in Canada to almost empty in Sweden. Last year Moncton and Halifax were much better than in the western CA though.

Last edited:
Reactions: 74 others

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Similar to Europeans with the world juniors, they don’t bid for it.

1704470304262.jpeg

To my knowledge, there's nothing stopping Canada or anyone else from holding their own tournament not under the IIHF umbrella where Russia could square off against Canada and US.

For the record, I support the positions taken by our Nordic and Czech federations.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Correct. Canada could at any point pull out and create the Global Ice Hockey U20 Cup and invite whatever teams they wanted to if they ever felt like it. That’s basically what they did with the Canada Cup when they pulled out of the Olympics. This makes the IIHF largely subject to Canada’s influence as the tournament becomes irrelevant without Canada’s presence.

The leverage the other way is how institutionalized the world juniors itself is in Canada, whereas Canada had been out of the Olympics for a long time already even prior to the Summit Series. So any pullout would be very negatively received. Similar to NHLers being kept out of the most recent Olympics after they had been there five straight Olympics and the NHL’s clumsy efforts to replace it with a World Cup.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Similar to Europeans with the world juniors, they don’t bid for it. The nhl arenas are being used. I think there’s a bit of an overlap between the worlds and the major junior league championship series so there’s a bit of a complication there and I’m not sure how well equipped junior cities outside of a couple are to host the Sr. Worlds.

I suppose the only bidder who wouldn't have an issue would be Buffalo then.

I'll show myself out.

• Haha
Reactions: NyQuil

Kent Nilsson

Imagine cringing at Brock Nelson like a moron
Jan 31, 2016

Link above. It's in Swedish (google translate) and the view of a Swedish journalist in a main media outlet. In short the article says that "Hockey Canada" has kidnapped, bought and rigged the wjc tournament. It started in the 1980's , began to have an effect in the Lindros-era in the 90s up til now. Canada the host of 11 wjc tournaments since 2003. Three in a row 2021-23 , difficult to find anything like it in any other global sport.. Hockey Canada Earns ALOT of money on domestic and foreign hockey-talents (that get nothing from participating). Lots of economic figures/numbers in the article. Fasel and Putin and Hockey-Canada in the same corruption boat. This is from the article, not necessarily my (Snauen the threadstarter) view. I think there could be an intresting discussion here about it though. / Regards

Putin is part of the conspiracy to host the WJC in Canada ?

Snauen

Dec 27, 2017
Putin is part of the conspiracy to host the WJC in Canada?
Putin and the old IIHF boss Fasel were/are friends. Fasel even changed his citizenship to become a Russian. At the same time IIHF is sitting in Canadas lap. I guess Putin and Fasel are mentioned to shed a light on the corruption and uneven money distribution. The sport comes second. Countries and organistations with questional (to put it nicely) leaders and methods are the ones getting your ticket-money and tv-payment in the end

Last edited:

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
Putin is part of the conspiracy to host the WJC in Canada ?
He's talking about Rene Fasel and IIHF being in bed with Putins Russia. Using that as proof that corruption exist within IIHF which goes where the money is, e.g Russia and Canada.

I mean, there are some truths and actual facts in the article. But, it's way too sensational for my taste.

Snauen

Dec 27, 2017

Like I said, dont think this is about the results of today. Its about the big picture of international hockey. For sure Canada has got the most fans and money and its were Icehockey was founded. Doesnt mean the sport should be "kidnapped and bought " by them or anyone else (like Putin. Russia) for that matter

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Like I said, dont think this is about the results of today. Its about the big picture of international hockey. For sure Canada has got the most fans and money and its were Icehockey was founded. Doesnt mean the sport should be "kidnapped and bought " by them or anyone else (like Putin. Russia) for that matter

The fact is that, aside from the hockey die hards on this board and elsewhere, the tournament just doesn’t register enough with Europeans, much like the WHCs doesn’t get much traction on this side of the ocean.

Enjoy your monopoly on prime time TV for the WHCs and chalk that up as the cost for the WJCs spending more time over in our backyard.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
The fact is that, aside from the hockey die hards on this board and elsewhere, the tournament just doesn’t register enough with Europeans, much like the WHCs doesn’t get much traction on this side of the ocean.

Enjoy your monopoly on prime time TV for the WHCs and chalk that up as the cost for the WJCs spending more time over in our backyard.
Has Canada ever hosted the worlds?

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Has Canada ever hosted the worlds?

In 2008 in Halifax and Qc.

Russia won in a pretty exciting final after Rick Nash earned a puck over glass penalty in OT.

Overall, it wasn’t that well attended.

IIRC, the Swiss were supposed to host and couldn’t, so Canada stepped in.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Where’s my eyeroll emoji?

Canada hosts it regularly because of money, yeah. We have more cities where more people shell out more coin to see more games. At the 2019 tournament, all the non-Canada games in Victoria were packed (just a 7,000 seat rink, but still). The tournament is popular here, to the point that TSN is essentially the host broadcaster everywhere. If more countries in Europe showed more of an interest it would be over there more often. I may not be a fan of global capitalism but that’s the world we live in.
As an American who bleeds red white and blue. This post is spot on. There is a reason they keep going back to Canada. Realistically, there is not another country that packs rinks for non-host country games like Canada does.

There are few atmospheres like a USA vs Canada game, in Canada.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad