Canada Dominates U-17s.. best depth out of any hockey country!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingpin_19

Jan 5, 2005
Drumheller, AB
Slay said:
Canada is the 2nd largest country in the world and it is pretty "hilarious" that Canada doesn't have much exept hockey.

You don't quite know what you are talking about. Russia is very good in a lot of sports. Soccer and basketball are the only "major team sports" that suits well with your statement (rugby counts?). Summer countries dominate soccer, Brazil particulary, it has more population than Russia and don't have much except soccer and volleyball.

Russia is always a medal contender in Volleyball (#1 team in the world rankins 2 years ago.
imho, top 2-3 team at the moment with huge potential), in Water Polo (Hungary is the best, then Serbia and Russia), Handball (3 golds of the last 5 Olympics mean something). Plus Hockey and Bandy.

Not to mention Russia develops almost every major sport and is always one of the favourites at most of them. It is not suddenness Russia won 90+ medals at the Olympics by winning in very
different sports. That shows how good Russian coaches are (and hundreds of them work for the glory of other countries) and how much resources are used, though still not enough. A lot of resources are lacking comparing to the main rivals in many sports. And every of these countless rivals can bring this argument: "you have so big country. why don't you totally dominate this sport?".

You have WAY more people than we do...for God sakes, we have too many people playing hockey to even think those sports as important. How many handball players do you see making a million dollars a season. Water Polo players in Canada live off jobs and welfare at the same time. I don't see many Russians in the MLB, and theres only a couple in the NBA.

However, I do agree with the fact that Russia's development system is a way better than Canada's in the early stages, but by the time these kids hit junior, Canada and Russia are pretty even in terms of skill.

Slay

May 24, 2003
Krasnoyarsk
Sammy said:
Son, you gotta figure out the difference between Land mass & population.You must be quite disturbed about a Country the size of Greenland cant produce any world class hockey players.
BTW, Russia has about double the Landmass & 5 times the population of Canada.

Sorry, couldn't reply earlier.

Daddy Sammy, I clearly understand that. I simply used your logic and you can't blame me for that ;) : "which is hilarious for a country of their size".

Anyway it is empty conversation.

AgentNaslund*

Sammy said:
Russia has alot more young players who play hockey than Canada. They may not be "registered" because as everyone knows, the Russian infrastructure for stuff like that , is shall we say, antiquated, & inaccurate .

You got a source on something like that?

arnie

Dec 20, 2004
bonefizzle said:
This tournament proves that canada has the best depth of hockey prospects in the world and why they are always a contender for gold. All 4 teams in the semi finals were from canada.

This post shows how far Canadian hockey has fallen. 30 years ago, Canada was the only hockey country. Now the beaverheads are crowing that Canada has the most depth. Why. Because Canada has just won its first WJC in 8 years. Eight years! Gee, that's really convincing.

By the way, what happened to all that depth in the Spengler?

Roughneck

Oct 15, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
arnie said:
This post shows how far Canadian hockey has fallen. 30 years ago, Canada was the only hockey country. Now the beaverheads are crowing that Canada has the most depth. Why. Because Canada has just won its first WJC in 8 years. Eight years! Gee, that's really convincing.

And the Russian gold in '99 was their first gold in how long? I don't see what your point is. Yes there are more hockey countries now, that makes it harder to win every year. As we have 12 medals in the last 13 years (6 of them gold), how do we not have the most depth?

It was playing for Davos.

Macman

May 15, 2004
arnie said:

Arnie, we hold every title there is to own in hockey except for the under 18s. If we sent our best to that, we'd probably hold it as well. By any objective measure of success, it could be argued we still are the only hockey country. As I showed in the junior no-shows thread, Canada had to make do without more than 130 of its best players at the world juniors in the last 23 years and still won it half the time while the Russians have missed only a dozen. Seems pretty convincing to me.

jekoh

Jun 8, 2004
Macman said:
Arnie, we hold every title there is to own in hockey except for the under 18s. If we sent our best to that, we'd probably hold it as well. By any objective measure of success, it could be argued we still are the only hockey country.
Just like the Czechs "still" were the top hockey country in 2001.

Mountain Dude

arnie said:

What the hell is this guy smoking?

Macman

May 15, 2004
jekoh said:
Just like the Czechs "still" were the top hockey country in 2001.

Look, I don't believe for a second that Canada is the only hockey country, but it's a hell of a lot closer to the truth than arnie's biased and bitter claim that Canadian hockey is falling.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
Legolas said:
I was glad to see the results of the U-17 tournament as well...however I would temper that enthusiasm for a number of reasons:

1) It's not an IIHF sanctioned event...as far as I understand, Hockey Canada uses it as a development tool and invites international teams to participate...

2) Russia didn't send a team.

I realise this thread has digressed from it's original topic and I'm arriving late but I thought I'd respond to this anyway...

1.The fact that the tournament isn't an IIHF event shouldn't detract from it's value.

2.The same US U17 team that participated in this tournament beat Russia twice just last November and from what I heard they didn't have that big of a problem with them. I'm no expert on young Russians but so far it seems that their '87 and '88 born players don't have the amazing talent that some of their more recent age groups have had. At least they don't seem to be showing it in international competition.

Slay

May 24, 2003
Krasnoyarsk
I don't think that "who is the best" should be determinated by some crazy depth or number of hockey players or number of crazy fans or whatever.. Depth is a good thing but you need to land just one team to compete, not 4. The best one should be determinated by actual won titles. At this stage Canada is the best, few years ago it was Cheсh, in the future.. who knows.

Roughneck

Oct 15, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
Slay said:
I don't think that "who is the best" should be determinated by some crazy depth or number of hockey players or number of crazy fans or whatever.. Depth is a good thing but you need to land just one team to compete, not 4. The best one should be determinated by actual won titles. At this stage Canada is the best, few years ago it was Cheсh, in the future.. who knows.

Agreed.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
Slay said:

Exactly :handclap:

Sammy*

Oilers All the Way! said:
If you agree with that, "At this stage Canada is th best", why did you just say that "Czech > Canada and any other country"?

Cause he's a trolling dork who is crying cause Russia hasnt won anything recently (& professionally, nothing in ages).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad