Canada Dominates U-17s.. best depth out of any hockey country!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bonefizzle

Dec 5, 2004
This tournament proves that canada has the best depth of hockey prospects in the world and why they are always a contender for gold. All 4 teams in the semi finals were from canada.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
bonefizzle said:
This tournament proves that canada has the best depth of hockey prospects in the world and why they are always a contender for gold. All 4 teams in the semi finals were from canada.

Geez. What a newsflash that Canada has the best depth of hockey prospects. Could it have something to do with the number of registered players?

bonefizzle

Dec 5, 2004
still doesn't change the fact that they have the best.... I know its obvious but i just posted it, because only a few days ago while the wj's was in the first round, many people from other countrys tried argueing that canada didn't have the best depth of prospects any longer since they hadn't won in so long... but i guess now that they won people are just gonna make up another excuse

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
i know nothing about the u17 tourny. is there like a western team, ontario team, quebec team, etc? my buddy's little brother is on "the team"...so i'm assuming it's an ontario team?

Dion Mustard*

arrbez said:
i know nothing about the u17 tourny. is there like a western team, ontario team, quebec team, etc? my buddy's little brother is on "the team"...so i'm assuming it's an ontario team?

Canada sends 5 teams. Pacific, West, Ontario, Quebec, East. Other countries only send 1 team.

This year, all four teams in the semis were from Canada.

*Scott*

This just shows Canada's depth at this tourney. They split the talent into five different groups (Ontario, Pacific, West, Quebec, and East) and four of those teams made the semi's. Imagine Canada's dominance if they had a "true" U-17 Team Canada, combining the players from the five regions.

Jocus

Dec 23, 2004
Jason MacIsaac said:
I think the best is the emergence of Atlantic hockey.

Even a few rising stars in the NHL are from the Maritimes. Newfoundland is starting to produce some pretty good players.

And, with 2 new teams, it's just starting. The new St John's team will help the development of Newfoundland players.

They might even discover the next Tootoo in Labrador. There are probably some tough guys up there.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
Jocus said:
Even a few rising stars in the NHL are from the Maritimes. Newfoundland is starting to produce some pretty good players.

And, with 2 new teams, it's just starting. The new St John's team will help the development of Newfoundland players.

They might even discover the next Tootoo in Labrador. There are probably some tough guys up there.

Harold Druken roolz!!! how many Newfoundlanders are there in the NHL?

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
Boucicaut said:
Geez. What a newsflash that Canada has the best depth of hockey prospects. Could it have something to do with the number of registered players?

They're too blind to realize that.

But nobody (in Canada) will ever point out that Canada has 10 times more registered players than the Czech Republic or Russia after a Canadian loss.

Sammy*

wilka91 said:

But nobody (in Canada) will ever point out that Canada has 10 times more registered players than the Czech Republic or Russia after a Canadian loss.
Russia has alot more young players who play hockey than Canada. They may not be "registered" because as everyone knows, the Russian infrastructure for stuff like that , is shall we say, antiquated, & inaccurate .

Last edited by a moderator:

Macman

May 15, 2004
wilka91 said:

So what? As has been pointed out many times, the systems in Russia and the Czech Republic are totally different from Canada's. Ours stresses participation, hence the large numbers. Yours doesn't, concentrating its resources on those with ability. Russia's population is huge compared to Canada's, are we supposed to point that out every time Russia wins?

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
wilka91 said:

I don't understand the relevance.

People don't go to the USA after the Olympics and say "You won so many track medals because you have more track athletes."

Having the best organization, recruitment, development programs and a passion for the sport gets you more players which gives you a better range of player to select from.

Well, if us having lots of hockey players is a good reason to put us down then I guess have at it. :)

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Sammy said:
Russia has alot more young players who play hockey than Canada. They may not be "registered" because as everyone knows, the Russian infrastructure for stuff like that , is shall we say, antiquated, & inaccurate
Also true....and thanks for the edit. :thumbu:

Last edited:

Macman

May 15, 2004
The numbers argument is probably the lamest of all excuses that pop up whenever Canada wins. How you develop talent is more important than how many you attract to the game. Are there a lot more "registered" pole vaulters in Russia than there are in Canada? Does that explain why Russia wins pole vault medals and Canada never does? If I go to Murmansk, will I see Russian kids pole vaulting in their backyards? I seriously doubt it. Track and field, I would guess, is probably more important to Russians than it is to Canadians and the coaching is therefore better for the few who partake. Sure, 500,000 Canadian kids play hockey ever year, but the dropout rate is huge once you get past mite and atom. The cream of the crop that stays are identified and receive the best coaching, just like in Russia.

I'm willing to bet there are more "registered" gymnasts in Canada than in Russia, but only a fool would suggest Canadian gymnasts are better.

Last edited:

Jocus

Dec 23, 2004
arrbez said:
Harold Druken roolz!!! how many Newfoundlanders are there in the NHL?

There's 5 at the moment, and if I am not mistaken, a few more going up.

Michael Ryder of the Canadiens might be the best up and coming star. There's Jason King.

Not sure who else. Not a huge impact and does not compare to Quebec or Ontario, but it's a start.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
slats432 said:
Well, if us having lots of hockey players is a good reason to put us down then I guess have at it. :)

Where in the post did I put Canada down? :) I just pointed out an obvious fact, because this guy was basically breaking his arm while patting himself in the back.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Boucicaut said:
Where in the post did I put Canada down? :) I just pointed out an obvious fact, because this guy was basically breaking his arm while patting himself in the back.
Very true. My mistake. I mean it seems like someone was taking a shot at us for having too many players....but since the WJC there are a lot of shots being thrown around, and maybe I am a tad defensive. :)

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
Macman said:
The numbers argument is probably the lamest of all excuses that pop up whenever Canada wins. How you develop talent is more important than how many you attract to the game. Are there a lot more "registered" pole vaulters in Russia than there are in Canada? Does that explain why Russia wins pole vault medals and Canada never does? If I go to Murmansk, will I see Russian kids pole vaulting in their backyards? I seriously doubt it. Track and field, I would guess, is probably more important to Russians than it is to Canadians and the coaching is therefore better for the few who partake. Sure, 500,000 Canadian kids play hockey ever year, but the dropout rate is huge once you get past mite and atom. The cream of the crop that stays are identified and receive the best coaching, just like in Russia.

I'm willing to bet there are more "registered" gymnasts in Canada than in Russia, but only a fool would suggest Canadian gymnasts are better.

I agree that the ways how you develop these players is very important. That's obvious. However, to imply that numbers play a minor role/no role is pretty lame.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
slats432 said:
Very true. My mistake. I mean it seems like someone was taking a shot at us for having too many players....but since the WJC there are a lot of shots being thrown around, and maybe I am a tad defensive. :)

I understand. I wasn't taking shots, just trying to balance things a bit. I too tend to get a bit defensive, being a member of a minority group here :)

Macman

May 15, 2004
Boucicaut said:
I agree that the ways how you develop these players is very important. That's obvious. However, to imply that numbers play a minor role/no role is pretty lame.

I think it does play a minor role. How else do you explain small countries like Slovakia, the Czech Republic and Finland being competitive and even winning? It's player development and coaching. I'm willing to bet again that Canada has more registered soccer players than Brazil. We actually have more soccer players than hockey players, but nobody would mistake us for a soccer power. Nobody has the resources to properly coach and develop 500,000 hockey players. If we did, then you'd have an argument. But our grassroots system is completely volunteer. We have people coaching young kids in this country who've barely played. We have thousands of kids playing house league that have no hope or desire to be good. It's just fun for them and that's what most of our system is about.

Legolas

Apr 11, 2004
Toronto, Canada
I was glad to see the results of the U-17 tournament as well...however I would temper that enthusiasm for a number of reasons:

1) It's not an IIHF sanctioned event...as far as I understand, Hockey Canada uses it as a development tool and invites international teams to participate...

2) Russia didn't send a team.

Now, if I am wrong on either of those, that's fine...it still speaks to the depth we have in this country, and any positive news is good news...particularly after the hand wringing of the Open Ice summit a few years ago...but let's try not and get too carried away...our programs are doing well...we don't need to rub it in...besides, having a lot of depth is great, but obviously it's your top end talent that counts the most and the gap certainly isn't a huge chasm between us and other countries there...

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
Macman said:
Russia's population is huge compared to Canada's, are we supposed to point that out every time Russia wins?

No, that only works when you look at the total of medals won at the summer and winter Olympics Games.

Canada is only good at hockey and curling (which is soooo lame), and basically sucks at anything else.
If there was only hockey in Russia like in Canada, there would probably be 5 times more registered hockey players. If Russia's economics were better, the country would have more than Canada's 2,500 rinks instead of 250 ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad