Canada D vs Sweden D

Which team has the better D currently?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Theodore's one of the most underrated players in the league.

He’s overrated by the analytics community. Good player but is very sheltered. He’s been luck enough to have been very well utilised by his coaches in Vegas.

Reactions: Voight

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
People forget how much the Team Canada brass loves their veteran players. I can almost guarantee Doughty will be on the 2022 team and would not be shocked if Weber is there as well. Look at the 2002 squad, Jovo-Cop was the "least" experienced guy with 7 1/2 seasons under his belt. Doughty making the team in 2010 was a rare occasion and more of a testament to his ability and maturity. (Jay-Bo made the 2006 team with less than 3 years experience but most Canadians have erased those Olympics from their memory - plus Niedermayer sat out)

Doughty is 30.

People forget Niedermayer was 36 & Pronger 35 at the 2010 Olympics, MacInnis was 39 at the 2002 games.

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
If it's based on this year's play, I'm not putting Drew Doughty or Morgan Rielly on Canada's D corps.

The left side is a problem. Why not Jake Muzzin? He was much better than Rielly. Canada can only fit 2 D on the PP, might as well pick some guys that dominate 5 on 5 and PK.

I feel compelled to take Cale Makar. He's the best offensive D they have, and I can't think of a game changer I'd rather have down a goal or on the PP.

Pietrangelo - Parayko
Muzzin - Makar
Giordano - Ellis
Ekblad

strong consideration - left side - Morrissey, Theodore, Chabot.
strong consideration - right side - Letang, Hamilton.

Edit: I ended up moving Pietrangelo to LD even though he's RHD. I just couldn't stomach the look of the top pair with any of the LHD there. As far as I know Pietrangelo has played more on the left side than any of the other RHD.

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
People forget how much the Team Canada brass loves their veteran players. I can almost guarantee Doughty will be on the 2022 team and would not be shocked if Weber is there as well. Look at the 2002 squad, Jovo-Cop was the "least" experienced guy with 7 1/2 seasons under his belt. Doughty making the team in 2010 was a rare occasion and more of a testament to his ability and maturity. (Jay-Bo made the 2006 team with less than 3 years experience but most Canadians have erased those Olympics from their memory - plus Niedermayer sat out)

People forget Niedermayer was 36 & Pronger 35 at the 2010 Olympics, MacInnis was 39 at the 2002 games.

Those older players were there because they were the best D in the league at the time.

Drew Doughty isn't even the best D on the Kings.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Those older players were there because they were the best D in the league at the time.

Drew Doughty isn't even the best D on the Kings.

Doughty was 2nd in Norris voting only 2 years ago. He's had to play on some God awful teams since then.

I have 0 doubt he will be on the 2022 team.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019

It all really depends how well the veteran guys are playing at the time. Pronger and Niedermayer were still really good defenceman right up until their retirement.

Doughty, Weber, and Letang should all be considered. It’s just a matter of what their game looks like at the time of the selection of the team.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
It all really depends how well the veteran guys are playing at the time. Pronger and Niedermayer were still really good defenceman right up until their retirement.

Doughty, Weber, and Letang should all be considered. It’s just a matter of what their game looks like at the time of the selection of the team.

I doubt Letang will make it. He's literally never been picked once or played for the senior team.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Doughty is a lock for 2022. Anyone who thinks otherwise is totally out to lunch.

Rielly-Doughty
Chabot-Pietrangelo
Keith-Makar

You also bring 2-3 of Letang, Hamilton, Theodore, Ekblad, Morrissey, Parayko. Assuming Burns isn't up to the task in two years time.

Could swap out Keith depending on how he's skating in two years time, but if the wheels don't fall off, I think him and Doughty are both locks. Chabot, Makar, Rielly all have minimal big game experience with the former two I am projecting to improve and be staples on the blueline for Canada for years to come.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I doubt Letang will make it. He's literally never been picked once or played for the senior team.

He was better than Doughty this year.

I’m not saying Doughty can’t redeem himself before the selection, but he’s got some work to do.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Which team has the better D currently?

Canada:

Shea Theodore - Alex Pietrangelo
Dougie Hamilton - Cale Makar
Thomas Chabot - Aron Ekblad
Kris Letang

Sweden:

Victor Hedman - Erik Karlsson
Oliver Ekman-Larsson - John Klingberg
Mattias Ekholm - Rasmus Dahlin
Hampus Lindholm
This is nothing like a lineup of d canada would ice.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
I don't know how much this matters but the last time we saw a best vs best tournament with NHL players it was the 2016 World Cup of Hockey and Sweden still lost despite having Hedman, Karlsson, and Ekman-Larsson on that team.
Sure but they dont come close tobhaving the same forward group.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
The OP said right now. With that in mind Doughty, pietrangelo, and even giordano are all locks. The rest would be up in the air. Parayko is a likely.

Possibilities letang (i would take him), Rielly. Burns.

Guys like chabot and makar are hard nos at this point. I see aaron ekblad mentioned. My impression would be no but i will admit that might be a bit of an old inpression.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
People who think Doughty is good probably still think Carey Price is the best goalie in the world and Jonathan Toews is a top 10 player.

Just no.

Lol.

People who think doughty is no good anymore probably think..... well they dont.

Just no.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Lol.

People who think doughty is no good anymore probably think..... well they dont.

Just no.
I dont mean he is a bad player, he just isnt what he used to be and shouldnt make team Canada given the talent they have on the blueline. There are far better options.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad