GDT: Canada - Czechia; Pool B, May 23, 2023

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
Entertaining game concluded by a comical referee mistake. Fortunately this game didn't mean much, but imagine something like this happening in a Play-Off game. The refs have been terrible throughout the entire tournament, especially in the Riga group. Those really are the best international referees the IIHF can appoint? OK, that's sad then. Every professional league in the world has better refs than this tournament. We can just hope any of the the Play-Off games won't be spoiled by any referee faux pas.

Old Man Jags

Mar 25, 2006
Entertaining game concluded by a comical referee mistake. Fortunately this game didn't mean much, but imagine something like this happening in a Play-Off game. The refs have been terrible throughout the entire tournament, especially in the Riga group. Those really are the best international referees the IIHF can appoint? OK, that's sad then. Every professional league in the world has better refs than this tournament. We can just hope any of the the Play-Off games won't be spoiled by any referee faux pas.
Absolutely. I think we would have lost even without this mistake (not the only obvious mistake in the game, but the most glaring one), plus it wasn’t an elimination game… so this is not sore losers whining about the refs. But my word, they have been incompetent throughout the tournament in many games.

martygod12

Oct 27, 2019
I dont know what was so entertaining about it, one good period from us. First and third was completely terrible. Outshoted 44 - 17, that PP before end was just a comical embarassment.

Seriously with such performance we can just already be buying tickets home.

We didnt beat any single of the strong teams, lost to Latvia, if we lose in qf we gonna have a 4-4 record which is absolutelly terrible.

Nothing good can be said about this tournament so far. I want Kari gone, only thing I would change my mind is if we won gold, but even then I am not sure. Under him we play bad, ugly, is unwatchable and sadly its not bringing us any results either.

That 3rd place last year was won by Pasta not Kari. and even with much more stacked team last year, we only beat USA from those strong teams and was lucky to get Germany in qf.

No I am really not convinced at any point Kari is the right guy for our hockey. His style is just not our style, It does not suit us and we need a to play differently, need a different coach.

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
I dont know what was so entertaining about it, one good period from us. First and third was completely terrible. Outshoted 44 - 17, that PP before end was just a comical embarassment.

Seriously with such performance we can just already be buying tickets home.

We didnt beat any single of the strong teams, lost to Latvia, if we lose in qf we gonna have a 4-4 record which is absolutelly terrible.

Nothing good can be said about this tournament so far. I want Kari gone, only thing I would change my mind is if we won gold, but even then I am not sure. Under him we play bad, ugly, is unwatchable and sadly its not bringing us any results either.

That 3rd place last year was won by Pasta not Kari. and even with much more stacked team last year, we only beat USA from those strong teams and was lucky to get Germany in qf.

No I am really not convinced at any point Kari is the right guy for our hockey. His style is just not our style, It does not suit us and we need a to play differently, need a different coach.
I don't mind that the shots were 44-17, the only statistics that really matters is the goals. Guys hit the post two of three times, had a couple of great scoring chanced which didn't count as shots on goal but were really close. Canada, to the contrary, was shooting from almost every possible spot but most of the shots were easy saves for the goalie. So the SOG statistic really doesn't say that much.

The first period was too passive and defensive, the second was very good, in the third it was about who scores the tie breaking goal, Canada did, then they managed to secure their lead like mature, experienced teams do. I assume there would be a bigger final push be this the QF game, it was obvious in the last 10 minutes or so that the Czech players weren't giving everything into the push, they apparently had it in their heads that this game is not crucial and they need to stay healthy and fit for the QF game. Typical thing in games such as this.

Kari Jalonen certainly is a defensively minded coach, it also needs to be said that the roster he has includes no big offensive stars, so it is reasonable he wants the players to focus on the system and team effort, with an emphasis on the defensive game. If he had a Pastrňák - Hertl - Nečas line or something like that, the entire team would surely play with a different strategy.

It is all going to be about the QF game at the end, if they win it, Kari may be praised as the coaching mastermind, if they lose, he will probably be fired. The same like with many coaches many times before.

Reactions: jj cale

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I don't mind that the shots were 44-17, the only statistics that really matters in the goals. Guys hit the post two of three times, had a couple of great scoring chanced which didn't count as shots on goal but were really close. Canada, to the contrary, was shooting from almost every possible spot but most of the shots were easy saves for the goalie. So the SOG statistic really doesn't say that much.

The first period was too passive and defensive, the second was very good, in the third it was about who scores the tie breaking goal, Canada did, then they managed to secure their lead like mature, experienced teams do. I assume there would be a bigger final push be this the QF game, it was obvious in the last 10 minutes or so that the Czech players weren't giving everything into the push, they apparently had it in their heads that this game is not crucial and they need to stay healthy and fit for the QF game. Typical thing in games such as this.

Kari Jalonen certainly is a defensively minded coach, it also needs to be said that the roster he has includes no big offensive stars, so it is reasonable he wants the players to focus on the system and team effort, with an emphasis on the defensive game. If he had a Pastrňák - Hertl - Nečas line or something like that, the entire team would surely play with a different strategy.

It is all going to be about the QF game at the end, if they win it, Kari may be praised as the coaching mastermind, if they lose, he will probably be fired. The same like with many coaches many times before.
Both of these teams playing today lack that one or two offensive stars that can break a game open in their favour..............it's holding them back.

Reactions: BigBadBoar

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
Both of these teams playing today lack that one or two offensive stars that can break a game open in their favour..............it's holding them back.
Yes, definitely. The Canada roster is at least composed (mostly) of established, regular NHL players. Realistically: Players like Toffoli, Laugthon, Krebs, Glass, McBain, or Weegar, Myers in the defense would all be praised as super reinforcements for this year's Czech team. Our stars are Kubalík, who is a very good player and I think they haven't been utilizing his full potential in Detroit, but still he is no genius playmaker nor The Star which would completely dominate top tier games, and then Červenka, who is a great playmaker, his vision is outstanding, but he is also almost 38 years old and his skating is already a bit subpar. The rest of the team are solid, hard working guys playing in quality professional leagues, but they are no hockey wizards. They lack at least one like which would be really dominating their shifts, and boost the energy of the entire team. I still believe they can beat any team in this tournament on the right day, but nobody should expect them outplaying the opponents, setting the pace of the game, creating beautiful plays in the offensive zone. This is not the way they could succeed.

martygod12

Oct 27, 2019
I don't mind that the shots were 44-17, the only statistics that really matters is the goals. Guys hit the post two of three times, had a couple of great scoring chanced which didn't count as shots on goal but were really close. Canada, to the contrary, was shooting from almost every possible spot but most of the shots were easy saves for the goalie. So the SOG statistic really doesn't say that much.

Well honestly between todays game and that 5:1 loss against Canada in 2019 semis, I just have to choose in a hearbeat that the 2019 game was much much more better from our side. We played good, had a lot of chances, but just terribly failed in finishing back there.

Today it was one good period and two where there was absolutely nothing from our side offensively. We didnt even had a proper scoring chance in the first and the third period, it was straight up terrible.

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
Well honestly between todays game and that 5:1 loss against Canada in 2019 semis, I just have to choose in a hearbeat that the 2019 game was much much more better from our side. We played good, had a lot of chances, but just terribly failed in finishing back there.

Today it was one good period and two where there was absolutely nothing from our side offensively. We didnt even had a proper scoring chance in the first and the third period, it was straight up terrible.

that 1:5 game in 2019 was a disaster in our own zone, today's game was definitely better in terms of own zone coverage. Hockey is a three zone game, makes no sense to evaulate a team based solely on the offensive zone performance.

martygod12

Oct 27, 2019
that 1:5 game in 2019 was a disaster in our own zone, today's game was definitely better in terms of own zone coverage. Hockey is a three zone game, makes no sense to evaulate a team based solely on the offensive zone performance.
Yeah but thats what is winning the matches ... Since Kari came our game is just unvatchable and in an alarming number of games.

Once again he didnt have even any results. Its ugly and without results. Pasta won that bronze not him.

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
Yeah but thats what is winning the matches ... Since Kari came our game is just unvatchable and in an alarming number of games.

Once again he didnt have even any results. Its ugly and without results. Pasta won that bronze not him.
This is like to say Hašek won the 98 OG not Hlinka etc. Irrelevant argument.

martygod12

Oct 27, 2019
This is like to say Hašek won the 98 OG not Hlinka etc. Irrelevant argument.
No its not, he actually partly did. We were really lucky in the qf against USA and semis against Canada back then. Hasek just basically won those two games for us.

Pasta last year not only that raised the quality of the team by one level, but he also give the team a huge morale and confidence boost. But even with all this and Pasta, we still managed to get outplayed by Finns and destroyed by Canada.

Really nothing going in favor for Kari why he should stay. Maybe winning the gold this year would be a strong counter argument, but thats just not going to happen.

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
No its not, he actually partly did. We were really lucky in the qf against USA and semis against Canada back then. Hasek just basically won those two games for us.

Pasta last year not only that raised the quality of the team by one level, but he also give the team a huge morale and confidence boost. But even with all this and Pasta, we still managed to get outplayed by Finns and destroyed by Canada.

Really nothing going in favor for Kari why he should stay. Maybe winning the gold this year would be a strong counter argument, but thats just not going to happen.
I see You just don't like that coach, OK, that's Your opinion. I am just reminding the last medal before 2022 was in 2012 (bronze), Alois Hadamczik was the coach. Růžička, Vůjtek, Jandač, Říha, Pešán... none of them won any medal. So I got a strong suspicion it hasn't been exactly about the coaches.

martygod12

Oct 27, 2019
I see You just don't like that coach, OK, that's Your opinion. I am just reminding the last medal before 2022 was in 2012 (bronze), Alois Hadamczik was the coach. Růžička, Vůjtek, Jandač, Pešán... none of them won any medal. So I got a strong suspicion it hasn't been exactly about the coaches.
We also were 4th like three times in that time and in 2016 and 18 we got an unlucky elimination in qf after playing a really good and enjoyable hockey.

Jalonen just got lucky last year, the hockey we play under him is terrible. This whole season, even on EHT it was ugly and terrible hockey in most of games, and it continues even here at WCH where we havent played a single good game yet.

Honestly in last 20years we only played worse under Pesan and under Hadamczik in the late phase of his coaching cycle (2013-2014), cause in 2011-12 we actually played really good under Had.

Everyone just has a pink goggles on cause we luckily won bronze last year. But even there as I said we didnt played exactly good. Only were lucky to get Germany in qf.

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
We also were 4th like three times in that time and in 2016 and 18 we got an unlucky elimination in qf after playing a really good and enjoyable hockey.

Jalonen just got lucky last year, the hockey we play under him is terrible. This whole season, even on EHT it was ugly and terrible hockey in most of games, and it continues even here at WCH where we havent played a single good game yet.

Honestly in last 20years we only played worse under Pesan and under Hadamczik in the late phase of his coaching cycle (2013-2014), cause in 2011-12 we actually played really good under Had.

Everyone just has a pink goggles on cause we luckily won bronze last year. But even there as I said we didnt played exactly good. Only were lucky to get Germany in qf.
Jalonen is a defensively minded coach. I understand You don't like the system he wants his team to play. That's OK. It will be all about the QF game for him. If the team wins, he will be the hero who advanced to the SF with a team nobody believed in. Just like Hadamczik back in 2006, for example. If the team loses, he will be fired as the coach who made the team play an unattractive defensive game without any great results. It is well possible that a single lucky/unlucky bounce will be the line between these two possibilites.

martygod12

Oct 27, 2019
Jalonen is a defensively minded coach. I understand You don't like the system he wants his team to play. That's OK. It will be all about the QF game for him. If the team wins, he will be the hero who advanced to the SF with a team nobody believed in. Just like Hadamczik back in 2006, for example. If the team loses, he will be fired as the coach who made the team play an unattractive defensive game without any great results. It is well possible that a single lucky/unlucky bounce will be the line between these two possibilites.
Yes thats a very true statement. Although as I said in other thread, I would like him replaced even if we won the medal. I just dont like the way we play under him, but thats just my personal preference and opinion.

And I would leave that like that. Still rooting and hoping we can bring medal this year, And that next year we will also play enjoayble hockey.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
What a terrible call. Never seen a linesman botch something this bad. Hope he doesnt call another game in this WC.
All 4 officials apparently don't know the rules. After the play they should have said the play was dead when the Czech touched it and faced off in the Czech zone. And added the time back on the clock.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad