"Canada Cup": Winnipeg Jets 2020 winner

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Who had the deeper playoff run?
Playoffs are a different animal! Yes, Canucks ruled in the Play-in/Playoffs hybrid summer league this year, for Canadian teams.
Thing with Playoffs, any and every team that makes it has a chance right? No matter the odds, percentages, regular season record against opponent in front of you, one team has to Win 3 of 5, or 4 of 7 to advance.
Heck, if LAKs made it, they might have beat all odds and be heading to the Stanley Cup finals.
Just saying " historical showing/patterns".

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Head to head records aren't everything, but Winnipeg owns the Canucks. 12 straight wins outscoring the Canucks 35-10. Plus another 4-1 win in the exhibition game before the playoffs.

If only Jets could've played the Canucks, Eh. Maybe a different story ending? Tyler Myers could have had 4 game-winning goals/assists, on his own net again. But thus time would mean Jets win! Yucka, yucka!

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
So the Jets win "Miss Congeniality", while Dallas and Tampa are set to compete for the real prize?

Take a bow, Winnipeg! :handclap:

tenor.gif

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym
You do realise a derby is literally based on geography, right?

like, Man City/Man Utd, Liverpool/Everton, Southampton/Portsmouth, Ipswich/Norwich, Arsenal/Tottenham etc etc etc
In addition derbies (or to a further extent national rivalries like Liverpool-United, Derby de Italia, or El Classico) don't affect how many times they play each other in the league.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I can't remember the last time I saw Ottawa in a list of Canadian teams where they weren't at the bottom.

Weird.

tenor.gif

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
What's this? I see Montreal had more head to head points even though it had a lower pts%. Since that number fits my bias better, that's the one I'm going to make an unreasonable argument about.

Canada Cup winner was actually Montreal.

I mean, they had the most points and best goal differential.

And they actually made the playoffs too! Even if they wouldn't have if the season played out.

I actually agree, Habs are the Canada Cup winner in my books. But it's probably a one off.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
If only there had been a way to make two of the top teams on this list play each other in the playoffs to truly determine the champion...

NorCalhockey

Jan 6, 2017
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
I've said it before, it would be great if the NHL played up non-divisional rivalries more. Kind of like how Soccer leagues have "Derbies" where something a little more than pride is on the line.

You do realise a derby is literally based on geography, right?

like, Man City/Man Utd, Liverpool/Everton, Southampton/Portsmouth, Ipswich/Norwich, Arsenal/Tottenham etc etc etc

I don't want to dump on the premise, but (at least around here) "derbies" are almost always between geographic rivals. The Juve-Inter, Barca-Real, or Bayern-BVB rivalries are more the exception than the norm.

And there's also nothing more on the line than pride (and the standard couple points). Or maybe I'm misunderstanding the idea?..
As most North American leagues don't have teams from the same cities a "Derby" wouldn't mean the exact same thing, which is why I falsely called it the Canada Cup. It's not just two teams would be the bigger flaw in the Derby comparison.
Ok, now here's the most important thing: how should "derby" be pronounced? Dar-by? or Der-by? ;)

ETA: I hate derbies because my Everton haven't beaten Liverpool in donkey's years...(sigh)

Reactions: Flukeshot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad