Speculation: Can/Will The Flyers make the PlayOffs - 2016-17 Edition

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Trump had Putin.
Who do the Flyers have?

Flyers will make the playoffs if the goalies can play above average down the stretch - average or below average, forget it.

The rest of the team is better with Flippula and Konency back, but they're not good enough to overcome subpar goalie play.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Leafs have us, Carolina, Florida and Tampa their next 4 games. Very winnable games. To get in, we likely need to win on Thusday for sure.

Well they haven't been playing great. Makes sense too with rookies leading the team and rookie walls etc. not that it's that simple. It's more concerning that if their opponents win we not looking great. Either way we need two points in this game.

What kind of record are we looking at needing to hit 90 or so? Doesn't seem too bad needing a little more than 20 in 19 games. Just have to get them against the right teams.

joez86

Jan 20, 2006
Trump had Putin.
Who do the Flyers have?

Flyers will make the playoffs if the goalies can play above average down the stretch - average or below average, forget it.

The rest of the team is better with Flippula and Konency back, but they're not good enough to overcome subpar goalie play.

That is nonsense.

Trump had Clinton.

And I firmly believe they can make it, but I don't expect them to. I think 92 points gets them in, but that is assuming that Toronto and NYI maintain their pace.

bb12

Aug 21, 2014
USA
Tampa and Florida will be the 2 teams i worry about most. Toronto looks good but that young age aspect may kick in. NYI and Carolina just arent deep enough for the stretch IMO

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
Leafs have us, Carolina, Florida and Tampa their next 4 games. Very winnable games. To get in, we likely need to win on Thusday for sure.

All dreaded Three Point possible Games where, except for our Game, the Flyers have to lose at least two Point to their rivals... and possibly three between the two opponents... And, since it is not merely the Isles we are battling, we can'y just hope that the Leafs lose them all. I guess we'll have to cheer for each Game's outcome on a Game by Game basis.

The Loser-Point really muddles up the works in these situations. :shakehead

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Well they haven't been playing great. Makes sense too with rookies leading the team and rookie walls etc. not that it's that simple. It's more concerning that if their opponents win we not looking great. Either way we need two points in this game.

What kind of record are we looking at needing to hit 90 or so? Doesn't seem too bad needing a little more than 20 in 19 games. Just have to get them against the right teams.

I don't believe 90 Points will cut it... More like 95 Points, I'd say.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
We HAVE TO finish one Point better than the Isles are the Flyers are out... due to the convoluted Division setup... With Boston and I suppose the Sens also not in a firm position, it is possible to have less than TB and/or Florida and still make it, if Boston and/or Ottawa falter down the stretch... But best to eat out them all and clearly get in.

It seems like not very long ago that the Flyers seemed destined to be out of the mix... now they are in the thick of things... But then again, it seems not too far back that that the Flyers had a 9 Point or so cushion less Games in Hand factored in.

Parity in the NHL is a cruel master of the Bubble Teams.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
We HAVE TO finish one Point better than the Isles are the Flyers are out... due to the convoluted Division setup... With Boston and I suppose the Sens also not in a firm position, it is possible to have less than TB and/or Florida and still make it, if Boston and/or Ottawa falter down the stretch... But best to eat out them all and clearly get in.

It seems like not very long ago that the Flyers seemed destined to be out of the mix... now they are in the thick of things... But then again, it seems not too far back that that the Flyers had a 9 Point or so cushion less Games in Hand factored in.

Parity in the NHL is a cruel master of the Bubble Teams.

We had a great cushion back then. It seemed like we basically clinched all 8 spots.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
Itll be interesting to see how the Rags, BJs, and Pens approach the final stretch. I mean, the first wild card spot has gotta be a little more appealing from a match up perspective. Do any of those teams start easing up a bit to stay healthy and at least not avoid finishing in that position? Flyers have 6 games vs those teams.

They also have 5 games vs the devils and canes who could be in tank mode.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
We had a great cushion back then. It seemed like we basically clinched all 8 spots.

Putting aside a few Games in Hand, after that great ten Game unbeaten streak the Flyers were sitting pretty... IIRC they were just about on an even keel with the Rangers and just the Games in Hand preventing them from making a case on challenging the Jackets, Pens and Caps.

Look at the Rangers position today... they have all but sewn up the top WC Slot... the sad stretch following the Streak by the Flyers all but eliminated that First WC Slot for them... Playing near .500 Hockey would have put the Flyers in decent shape today... a Loser Point here and there would have gone long way.

WTF happened there? :shakehead

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Itll be interesting to see how the Rags, BJs, and Pens approach the final stretch. I mean, the first wild card spot has gotta be a little more appealing from a match up perspective. Do any of those teams start easing up a bit to stay healthy and at least not avoid finishing in that position? Flyers have 6 games vs those teams.

They also have 5 games vs the devils and canes who could be in tank mode.

That is not good since the Flyers go brain-dead whenever they play the Devils... for some odd reason they never seem to match up well against them. They better this time around.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Tampa and Florida will be the 2 teams i worry about most. Toronto looks good but that young age aspect may kick in. NYI and Carolina just arent deep enough for the stretch IMO

have you seen Florida lately? They came back from that 5 game western trip playing as good as anyone and seemed set to make a playoff push. they have been pretty bad of late. they laid a massive egg against the Rangers the other night on home ice.
TB is more concerning, especially with Stamkos getting closer to coming back. I think the Isles will be around until the last weekend. they have some favorable games coming up. 4-2-1 on the 9 game trip so far.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
I would fee a lot worse had not I felt that they were just about all but out at so many points late in last years successful push into the PostSeason.

As to that crushing Toronto blow... not to blame Neuvy by any means, but crucial Games and streaks are often fueled by exceptional goaltending... in the Toronto Game was the goaltending was the difference with Anderson being exceptional and Neuvy being pretty much average... not bad but average... That was a four point game and the Flyers should have had every advantage that the coaches could give them... a win there is better than a win against the Pens and Jackets, and even the Bruins, actually... Hakstol should have played the hot Mason... and rode him like last Season's stretch. Given him off at non-crucial points and on back-to-backs, but certainly in four point games such as the Toronto Game. JMO

backburner

May 6, 2011
NJ, USA
9ReRvb8.png

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Islanders at .568. (and last PO spot)

Flyers at .522.

.046 difference.

Flyers at .522.

Detroit at .477. (and 4th last in NHL)

.045 difference.

Better chance at a top 5 pick than play-offs.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Mathematically maybe.

But likely need to go ~11-2-2 now to get in.

Which is .800 hockey... basically would need the Flyers to become the best team in the NHL for the last 15 games with a tough schedule.

~4-9-2 would give decent chance at top 5 pick.

~7-6-2 or worse means likely a top 10 pick.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Mathematically maybe.

But likely need to go ~11-2-2 now to get in.

Which is .800 hockey... basically would need the Flyers to become the best team in the NHL for the last 15 games with a tough schedule.

Which is near what they did last Season... hoping for another such stretch is asking for too much. Especially when there seems to be no sign of that close to occurring.

If... IF... they were to go into another 10-0-0 run like they did earlier this Season... we would still have to hope that they didn't go into another Post Steak funk over the last five games as they did after the earlier Streak.

Also, last Season they had both exceptional Goaltending and timely scoring... clutch Goals and never say die mentality... This Season they have to eek out most every win with the minimum Goals and great Games in Goal... and this Season they have been having more then their share of bad decisions either taking away Goals, or give opponents Goals. This Team is not one who can play shutdown Defense while still being able to pot enough Goals.

While last Season they weren't the best Team at the end of the Season... they merely played like they were... Lightening doesn't strike twice... especially with this Team as it presently is. [sigh]

... And I do realize that I'm preaching to the Choir... so freakin' frustrating. Maybe I should acquire a Sixers Fan mentality and revel in what I expect the Future to bring. ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad