Speculation: Can/Will The Flyers make the PlayOffs - 2016-17 Edition

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
Last Season the Flyers made a late and strong push into the PostSeason with the Loyal FanBase on pins and needles... Game to Game... tracking Team against Team... dying with every Flyers loss and/WildCard Contender's Point... basking with each and every Flyers Point gained.

We set a Projected Target and tracked all the Contenders movements above/below the Target Number... We went from almost no hope to little hope to slippery slope... back to hope... and finally success.

We tracked the Flyers remaining Schedule... as well as the other Eastern WC Contenders' Schedules... we discussed what we believed were the chances... Day after Day after day.

And personally, I enjoyed every grueling moment of it.

... Welp... let the fun once again commence:

What is the current Projected Target Point Total to make the PostSeason in your Estimation?

What are the remaining Schedules?

Who goes Head-to-Head down the stretch?

How does the weak Atlantic Division leapfrogging play into the Flyers chances?

Assuming the Rangers do not have a complete collapse and hold onto the First WC Slot, if not better, who grabs the Last WC Slot and who takes the Atlantic Division's lower Seeds?

With the Flyers heading into Buffalo and currently three Points behind the Last WC Slot... trailing against every other Team in the Head to Head Tie-Breakers... Please discuss and chart.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
Unlikely but we're still barely in that "if they make a run..." stage.

Every Game is now huge... and tonight could be a a potentially big night for the Flyers... IF all the stars align.

If Flyers win and Toronto and Florida both lose, the Flyers would leapfrog TB and join Toronto only one Point behind the Isles... all with the same number of games remaining.

Big 'IF'... but possible... and what not too long ago looked bleak, would then appear much more possible.

The Flyers have to forget everything else and just play their best... the MUST win Game... and gather Points when they don't... Must play as well as they are able to play... another 4-5-1 ten Game stretch like the last and they are all but out of it.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
tumblr_mt0pwhaIwv1sgm9u1o1_500.gif

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
I am not sure. all those teams battling for that last spot have all had up and down spotty play of late. Someone will have to go on a run and take that last spot. But I suspect it will go down to the final weekend like last year.
Tampa may be getting Stamkos back soon. I still wouldnt count them out either. Especially of Vasilevskiy keeps playing the way he has since Tampa traded Bishop.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
The next two games are critical. If they lose either one of the games IN Toronto, or IN Boston, they are done IMO. If they win both I will be convinced they can make it.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
I'm tempted to say no, but isles are under interim coach relying on goaltending duo of Greiss and JF Berube. That doesn't inspire a whole lot confidence.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Leafs have us, Carolina, Florida and Tampa their next 4 games. Very winnable games. To get in, we likely need to win on Thusday for sure.

WIP CALLER

Aug 18, 2016
The next two games are critical. If they lose either one of the games IN Toronto, or IN Boston, they are done IMO. If they win both I will be convinced they can make it.
I agree with this. if they don't win the next two, they aren't making it. can't count on taking all 4 points against pitt and Columbus....

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I might be a pessimist, but I do not see it happening. Will be happy to eat crow if I am wrong.

I honestly don't have any feel or read or instinct about this at all. I could see it going either way - or to be more accurate, I can't see it either way. This season has really baffled me in a lot of ways. The future beyond this year I think is projectable. Once Hakstok is gone, that is - he is the fly in the ointment, prediction-wise. Total enigma.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
I might get down on this team but we have been outplaying opponents for damn near 2 months and maybe this buffalo game is what they need.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad