Speculation: Can/Will The Flyers make the PlayOffs - 2016-17 Edition

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
There is a possibility, if they keep losing, to get below Florida, Buffalo, Winnipeg and Carolina. A pick in the top 7 or 8 would be a great consolation prize. Top 10 seems inevitable now.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
There is a possibility, if they keep losing, to get below Florida, Buffalo, Winnipeg and Carolina. A pick in the top 7 or 8 would be a great consolation prize. Top 10 seems inevitable now.

I've been on board for the tank for a while. Very excited to see how low we can get.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
Welp... It was there for the taking... they could have made it like last Season... the other Bubble Teams are cooperating for the most part.

Take the last three loses and win them and they have 76 Points... and right back in the thick with an upward bullet.

Now?... Playing out the Schedule is all they have... Play for next Season's jobs... and that goes most for their Coach I'd say... You know what they always say; you can't fire all the Players. :shakehead

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I think it is safe to say last night was the final nail in the coffin. Six points out with 14 games left and Toronto with a game in hand, AND they would have to jump TWO other teams that are five points ahead. If it was just between them and Toronto, I think I would still be holding out hope, but they need a lot of help in addition to winning three+ more games than the teams ahead of them. R.I.P. 2016-17 season.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Maybe send the top players to Mexico early, help lock in a better pick.

I was thinking that this might be a good time to see the better young prospects in NHL action... but then I realized that the Phantoms are deep into a Calder Cup push; whould they sacrifice seeding and a possible AHL Cup for this... or go with the belief that the Kids would be better off playing through such a run and gain the 'Winning Feeling'... much like Richards and Carter etal got before they hit the NHL running with a Championship behind them... as they led the Flyers deep in their rookie season. I believe the latter to be best, and their probable route.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
I was thinking that this might be a good time to see the better young prospects in NHL action... but then I realized that the Phantoms are deep into a Calder Cup push; whould they sacrifice seeding and a possible AHL Cup for this... or go with the belief that the Kids would be better off playing through such a run and gain the 'Winning Feeling'... much like Richards and Carter etal got before they hit the NHL running with a Championship behind them... as they led the Flyers deep in their rookie season. I believe the latter to be best, and their probable route.

Bringing up the kids from the AHL will both hurt the Phantoms and hurt the Flyers' draft position. Agreed. Leave them down.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
I imagine that is possible with the upcoming schedule. Id love a top 10 pick. Maybe even move up or down from there.

It's been often said this Season by the pundits that after the first two picks, you can group all the others in the First Round or so and shake them up... So with that said, unless the Flyers get extremely lucky and get the First Selection's Ping Pong all, all a higher Slot above the Second one get you is a better chance to grab the particular Player your Group of Scouts like best.

With a Draft Year that is far from deep, it is probably a safe bet that our Group of Scouts may each have their own personal favorite... and not near a safe bet to be a 'usual' high First Rounder.

With that said... might it not be better for our Core Players and Young Players to gain through the test of fire... learn how to win more Games rather than how to lose more Game? This is not a sure-shot prospect we are tanking for... unless you are willing to tank for more ping pong balls in hopes of lucking into the First Overall; our Patrick Kane... I suppose there is merit in that method, but I'm not personally ready to turn into a Sixers Fan yet just. ;)

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
It's been often said this Season by the pundits that after the first two picks, you can group all the others in the First Round or so and shake them up... So with that said, unless the Flyers get extremely lucky and get the First Selection's Ping Pong all, all a higher Slot above the Second one get you is a better chance to grab the particular Player your Group of Scouts like best.

With a Draft Year that is far from deep, it is probably a safe bet that our Group of Scouts may each have their own personal favorite... and not near a safe bet to be a 'usual' high First Rounder.

With that said... might it not be better for our Core Players and Young Players to gain through the test of fire... learn how to win more Games rather than how to lose more Game? This is not a sure-shot prospect we are tanking for... unless you are willing to tank for more ping pong balls in hopes of lucking into the First Overall; our Patrick Kane... I suppose there is merit in that method, but I'm not personally ready to turn into a Sixers Fan yet just. ;)

Im with you, but this season seems lost. Get it over with and take the future top 9 player that will come in handy a few years from now.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
They're not going to make the playoffs, so I'd like a higher draft pick. But the team still has some good players who are playing for their own futures, so I'm not going to get mad or whine about it when the team does win.

Next week's four game trip to Wpg, Min, CBJ and Pit is about as hard as it gets for a poor road team like the Flyers.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Im with you, but this season seems lost. Get it over with and take the future top 9 player that will come in handy a few years from now.

They're not going to make the playoffs, so I'd like a higher draft pick. But the team still has some good players who are playing for their own futures, so I'm not going to get mad or whine about it when the team does win.

Next week's four game trip to Wpg, Min, CBJ and Pit is about as hard as it gets for a poor road team like the Flyers.

Being a STM half Partner who has loaded up on late Season Games... and also a schmo who watches every Game I don't go to on TV... while I understand and reluctantly agree that the PO Push is all but over, I'd rather watch them play well and win as many Games as possible -- especially the ones I attend -- I personally loved sitting in the stands last night as the Flyers played a solid all around game as they thumped the Pens... To me THIS Season does not hold any consolation in becoming a Lottery Team that does NOT get the #1 ping pong ball, so it is hard for me to rationalize a loss by dreaming of another Provolov being selected... I'd rather win as much as possible and then trust bthe Flyers crack Scouts who have done well with the late middle positions; they may just pick a diamond in the rough among the also-rans clummped up after the Second Overall is selected.

That said, I have no trouble with those who'd rather have them get as high a selection slot as possible.

I have faced the sad fact that they have once again underachieved... and just hope that it is that... and not that we all have just overvalued a Team that is not as talented as we think they are.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

Same.

Basically, if they lose, that's the best case scenario, but I want to see as many goals as possible for pure entertainment value.

And since there's no way they lose out the rest of the way, if they're going to win then at least let it be in games like last night against teams/fanbases I hate.

So really the worst case scenario would be to win a game 1-0 in the shootout against i team I don't hate because then I'm both bored and the draft placement suffers.

Only thing that would legitimately annoy me would be if they win the last game of the season and it bumps them outside the top 10.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad