Can we please trade Gardiner now?

Mar 14, 2011
Prior to tonight's game, 5 vs 5 goals against average per 60

Gardiner- 1.87
Rielly- 2.53
Dermott- 2.56

Its getting really ridiculous now, every single time Gardiner is on ice for a goals against we see threads like this pop up while all the other D are never held accountable when they make their own mistakes by this very same Jake haters. I guess Gardiner really has officially taken on Phaneuf's role as the the fans whipping boy, be interesting to see who takes the mantle once he leaves this summer, Rielly perhaps, or maybe Muzzin will once the honeymoon phase is over, either way, this fanbase will demand a new whipping boy on the D for next season.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Can we? Yes I'd assume.

Should we? Heck no, absolutely not. That would be the dumbest thing in a long time

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
I guess Gardiner really has officially taken on Phaneuf's role as the the fans whipping boy.

:biglaugh:
No, Gardiner's taken over Carl Gunnarsson's role as the defenceman that holds the defence back, but gets excused by too many fans for some odd reason, with constant pathetic attempts to push it onto whoever he happens to be playing with.

Reactions: Bomber0104

mulefarm

Oct 9, 2011
No, Gardiner's taken over Carl Gunnarsson's role as the defenceman that holds the defence back, but gets excused by too many fans for some odd reason, with constant pathetic attempts to push it onto whoever he happens to be playing with.
Really comparing Gardiner to Gunnarsson is a stretch

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
Really comparing Gardiner to Gunnarsson is a stretch
Gunnarsson was overrated pretty much the entire time he was in Toronto. Gardiner has been overrated pretty much the entire time he's been in Toronto.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

Gardiner- 1.87
Rielly- 2.53
Dermott- 2.56

Its getting really ridiculous now, every single time Gardiner is on ice for a goals against we see threads like this pop up while all the other D are never held accountable when they make their own mistakes by this very same Jake haters. I guess Gardiner really has officially taken on Phaneuf's role as the the fans whipping boy, be interesting to see who takes the mantle once he leaves this summer, Rielly perhaps, or maybe Muzzin will once the honeymoon phase is over, either way, this fanbase will demand a new whipping boy on the D for next season.

People only see his giveaways and don't realize the value of his overall game. 50 point defensemen like him are not easily replaceable, and outside of the giveaways and inconsistent defensive play he is a very good player. Before this season he was more often than not better than Rielly.

Reactions: Macallan18

93WrapAround

Jul 4, 2018

Gardiner- 1.87
Rielly- 2.53
Dermott- 2.56

What's gotten ridiculous is how fans will use stats that really don't tell much about a players defensive ability as if it somehow covers up 8 years of ineptitude. There's a reason he's been a whipping boy, let's take off the tin foil hats.

Mar 14, 2011
Yet none of his detractors have any answer when presented with the evidence (both analytics and basic stat) that proves that Gardiner is a quality Dman. 1.87 Goals against average per 60, best on the team for a Dman and significantlybetter than Rielly's and Dermott's, doesn't really sound like a defensive mess to me. But of course a "true" #3 Dman should have a GA/60 that is at the very least 1 less than Dermott's and Rielly, while playing above average 2nd pairing minutes with Zaitsev.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Gardiner is so terrible, do you think we'd have to tack on a 2rd round pick to dump him or just a 3rd :sarcasm:

Seriously though, Gardiner is so underated by Leafs fans. I'm not against trading him because I hate trading for rentals or letting big UFAs walk, but we definitely shouldn't trade him because you don't think he's very good, that's asinine.

Reactions: Macallan18

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Muzzin is the 2nd best dman. Gardiner is barely 3rd, dermott is very close to overtaking him.

mulefarm

Oct 9, 2011
He’s fifth on the team and people pretend how bad he is. Don’t get it?

DougGilmour93

Feb 7, 2007
you can't make these types of threads during a game, get a grip.
Sorry. It’s irrelevant when I make them. Bottom line is, I was going to make it at some point.
When I did create it, nothing in his game at that particular moment was glaring. BUT...as I continued to watch him, his game is riddled with mistakes.
This statement/thread is a long time coming and deserved. My opinion is based on years of watching his erroneous play. This isn’t a knee jerk reaction.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
Turnovers:

Rielly: 61
Muzzin: 61
Hainsey: 53
Zaitsev: 53
Gardiner: 44

(jake is 43rd in the NHL for a d-man, for context... not a good stat for our team in general)
Turnovers aren't an amazing stat tbh, same with takeaways. Especially with how every arena changes their definition on what a turnover actually is.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
50 point defensemen like him are not easily replaceable,
Leafs can make due with a 40 point defenceman in his place. Give Dermott his PP time and top four minutes and he'll hit 40 without breaking a sweat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad