Can we finally come to the conclusion that at age 20, Laine is not better than OV was?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
5 points in 9 games so far with 3 goals scored. It may be early but I don't see Laine becoming even at the very least, a PPG player (forget about 100+ points). Lot's of people were saying "wait till his D+3 season!" and so far he has not had a good showing and my bet is that he will have a very similar season (maybe even worse) than last season.

Can we conclude that even with 2 extra years of NHL hockey, Laine is not better at age 20 than OV was? It doesn't even seem to be close.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
"Finally"

giphy.gif

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
Yeah Laine seems to be in for a struggle this season. Personally I thought he would be able to match Ovechkin's 52 goals, but it's not looking good, especially with @Paul Maurice still around.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Yeah Laine seems to be in for a struggle this season. Personally I thought he would be able to match Ovechkin's 52 goals, but it's not looking good, especially with @Paul Maurice still around.
What does his weekday scoring look like so far? What about the starting time of the game? How does it affect things?

There's like 3 people on this f***ing forum who think Laine's better than Ovechkin.

Leonhard Euler

Mar 5, 2018
Everyone please stop. I never thought he'd match Ovi for the record.

But making any conclusions based on these sample sizes is so silly. Not just for Laine... All these ridiculous hottakes at the start of each season are laughable. Hot and cold streaks happen all the time. Everyone is losing their shit because these are the only games played at the start of the season though.

People please. Be reasonable.

Melo Meds

Jul 30, 2018
This was even a debate? Ovechkin is a generational player, Laine will probably end up being a franchise winger but I don't see how anyone in the right mind could ever compare the two. I remember when Oveckin came into the league he was the most exciting player to watch hands down. Deadly combination of speed, physicality and a heavy shot. Laine has the shot but will never have the same speed as OV.

Reactions: TheFountainhead

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
Maybe we should make a separate Laine board for Leafs fans if the three or four other threads aren't already enough :laugh:.

We can conclude that physically Laine is not at the same level, but the season is yet young :). Laine usually takes it pretty lax for 75% of the season to keep it interesting.

Comparatively as teenagers the two have not been close.

Laine is pretty behind in the physical department due to his knee injury. So no he's not at the level that Ovechkin was at the same age in some attributes, but Ovie was a freak of nature and Laine has yet time to develop the physical side.

But they are so different as players anyway that the comparison is weird. Laine is a much more cerebral type of player whereas Ovie was a bulldozer.

Last edited:

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
Checked the stats and Ovechkin did have a 12 game stretch during his rookie season were he scored just 3 goals and another 8 game stretch were he had just 1 goal. Otherwise he was business as usual.

Laine has already used up one cold streak and the season has just begun. And what's worse is he's already had goalless games against both Dallas and St. Louis. Doesn't look good at all... :(

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Lol young Ovi was one of the best players the moment he stepped on NHL ice. Not only that young Ovi was one of the most dynamic players in NHL history.

Laine wasn't ever close. At all.

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
Also, some context is probably useful (SLIGHT difference in PP time, which these guys live for :D )

From jepjepjoo:

Last 25 years rookie + sophomore goal scoring (at any age):

1. Ovechkin 98 goals (3505mins TOI, 998mins PPTOI)
2.Laine 80 goals (2659mins TOI, 448 PPTOI)
2.Malkin 80 goals (3243mins TOI, 861mins PPTOI)
4.Crosby 74 goals (3270mins TOI, 920mins PPTOI)

There are no ice time records for the 80's, but Gretzky still averaged 21:04 in his last season. If he averaged the same in his first 2 nhl season that would put him at 3350 mins and 31:36 per goal while Laine is at 33:14. Gretzky would have to average 22:10 TOI per game to place him right behind Laine at 33:15. Highly likely he averaged more than 22:10 per game.

Bossy on the other hand would have to play a whopping 26:31 per game to place him behind Laine with 33:15 per goal.

1. Laine 33:14
2. Ovechkin 35:46 (122.8% more PPtoi than Laine)
3. Malkin 40:32 (92.2%)
4. Crosby 44:11 (105.4%)

Selänne would have to play more than 24:52 for him to be behind Laine.

My best guess is:

1.Bossy
2.Selänne
3.Laine

--

Keep in mind also that these stats are for 18-19yo Laine and 20-21yo Ovie, so an unbalanced comparison to begin with.

Now we can just ignore this and continue with the discussion. Carry on!

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2006
After three years, I would say Laine is closer to a Brett Hull than he is an Alex Ovechkin.

I kind of find him disappointing. He'll have a great career because of his shot, but I'm not seeing much else there at this point. Just my opinion.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
There's been less than 5 posters here saying young Laine >young OV. Literally less than one 5 people actually thought he'd be anywhere close rookie OV in his draft+3 season.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Laine one standout ability shot
Ovechkin three standout abilities shot, explosive skating, physical freak

Laine never had a chance.

He has better hands and playmaking abilities too but probably not "standout abilities" as your point suggested. Just wanted to point out Ovi is a damn near perfect offensive hockey player.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
easily, and it's not because of his start to this season. the talent was never there. I don't think too many people were saying otherwise though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad