Speculation: Can We Extend Glencross?

Wayne Primeau

Stay Gold
Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa
I have always been a big fan of Glencross, and he's off to a solid start this year - on pace for over 50 points. My question is, should we extend Glencross?

By all indications, Glencross has said that he wants to return, but for a solid payday.

He's in the final year of a deal that paid him 2.55M over 4 years.

What do you think? He's 31, set to turn 32 soon, but he's shown that he's an effective player.

I'd give him a 3-year deal.

1 - 3.55M
2 - 3.00M
3 - 2.75M

AAV of 3.1M. Give him an NTC too.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I'll give him more money for 2 years. 4m x 2. I think he is a key middle 6 LW for this team (assuming Johnny takes the role of top line LW).

MuffinMerc

Come watch TV
Jan 23, 2013
I don't think he's made up his mind on whether or not he wants to stay or not. If he wanted to stay I'm sure he would have signed an extension already.

Aug 21, 2014
Yeah If I recall, he wants to test market? I mean why not. This will be likely his biggest money making contract.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Treliving only has two free agents to worry about extending (the other is Ramo) before July 1, but I don't see anything being done in the first half of the season - mostly because he's still evaluating the team/players, but also that the season itself has gone much better than anyone expected (except maybe Aaron Ward)

Still, as much as I like him I don't know if there's room on the roster for Glencross next season. I think Jooris has effectively played him off the team.

I think he'll be traded at the deadline.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Trade him.

Glencross stated in the off season he's looking for a big contract with term - think more in the 4M to 5M range or more for 4 or more years. Given his age, contracts demands and that the Flames already have too many left wingers as it is, he shouldn't be brought back.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Treliving only has two free agents to worry about extending (the other is Ramo) before July 1, but I don't see anything being done in the first half of the season - mostly because he's still evaluating the team/players, but also that the season itself has gone much better than anyone expected (except maybe Aaron Ward)

Still, as much as I like him I don't know if there's room on the roster for Glencross next season. I think Jooris has played him off the team.
It's tough.

Glencross has been playing harder minutes and while he isn't scoring a ton of goals he is still is having a fantastic season offensively. He is pacing himself to completely destroy his career high in assists (on pace for 39, career his is 27) and despite his "low" goal scoring pace he is actually on pace for a career high in points as well.

You mention Jooris, but Glencross has played LW exclusively and Jooris C/RW exclusively, I am not sure how they are even competing for the same spot unless you think Jooris is playing so well that one of the LH shooting C/RW players needs to be moved to LW and is good enough to displace Glencross. Also as awesome as Jooris as been, it has only been 20 games. He is on a 45 point pace as a rookie if he plays in all the remaining games, do you know how many rookies have reached the 45 point marker in the last 5 years? There have been 15 (I was honestly expecting less), but even then an average of 3 per year is not a large amount and I don't think we have seen him have a slump yet and he inevitably will have a slump, likely multiple ones.

Jooris' play is more likely to impact Paul Byron than anybody IMO, if Jooris continues to have a strong year someone like Matt Stajan could be impacted too. Glencross needs to be ousted by Markus Granlund or Sven Baertschi IMO and while Granlund has played well IMO it has not been well enough to keep Glencross out of the lineup.

At this point in time I think Glencross is making it difficult not to bring him back.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I truly think it depends on the progress of Sven. If he can get play the way he is playing in Calgary, I have no doubts the points are going to come in Adirondack.

If Glencross is going for the money, I won't necessarily miss him. Gaudreau, Raymond, Baertschi and Bollig/Bouma can be our LW's.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
It's tough.

Glencross has been playing harder minutes and while he isn't scoring a ton of goals he is still is having a fantastic season offensively. He is pacing himself to completely destroy his career high in assists (on pace for 39, career his is 27) and despite his "low" goal scoring pace he is actually on pace for a career high in points as well.

You mention Jooris, but Glencross has played LW exclusively and Jooris C/RW exclusively, I am not sure how they are even competing for the same spot unless you think Jooris is playing so well that one of the LH shooting C/RW players needs to be moved to LW and is good enough to displace Glencross. Also as awesome as Jooris as been, it has only been 20 games. He is on a 45 point pace as a rookie if he plays in all the remaining games, do you know how many rookies have reached the 45 point marker in the last 5 years? There have been 15 (I was honestly expecting less), but even then an average of 3 per year is not a large amount and I don't think we have seen him have a slump yet and he inevitably will have a slump, likely multiple ones.

Jooris' play is more likely to impact Paul Byron than anybody IMO, if Jooris continues to have a strong year someone like Matt Stajan could be impacted too. Glencross needs to be ousted by Markus Granlund or Sven Baertschi IMO and while Granlund has played well IMO it has not been well enough to keep Glencross out of the lineup.

At this point in time I think Glencross is making it difficult not to bring him back.
I think it's more along the lines of a healthy lineup is about six lines deep going into next season (assuming Bennett is here full time by then) and it may be simple enough to slot in a different player in Glencross' spot. Maybe not Jooris exactly but it may put Hudler back on the left side, Baertschi (theoretically) among others (Stajan, Colborne).

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I think it's more along the lines of a healthy lineup is about six lines deep going into next season (assuming Bennett is here full time by then) and it may be simple enough to slot in a different player in Glencross' spot. Maybe not Jooris exactly but it may put Hudler back on the left side, Baertschi (theoretically) among others (Stajan, Colborne).
fair enough, but I think Baertschi and Byron will be none factors next year (meaning no longer with the team). Bennett could be a factor, but after missing almost his entire 18 year old season I think it would be irresponsible to even factor him into the decision.

Stajan and Colborne will be factors, I agree. So will Raymond and perhaps Hudler but that is less likely IMO. But then again when will we actually be healthy again?

I would look into dealing Stajan or Backlund and keeping Glencross at this point in time to be completely honest.

Bouma Fett*

Booty Hunter
May 19, 2012
Calgary
I wouldn't mind keeping Glencross. But I want a 2 year deal deal. Maximum 3. Don't care about the money, don't want term. 3 years at 4 million, or two years at 5 million annual salary

Master Bill

Congrats, Oilers! (2023)
Nov 9, 2014
When it comes to Glencross, at times he frustrates the hell out of me with his game-performances - easy turnovers and lack of intensity on the forecheck - and he would have horrible games. Then what he does is be in the right spot to snipe the **** out of that puck and bag those clutchy goals, and it's hard not to love him. He's like the Wayne Rooney of hockey, who'd perform horribly all throughout the game and just score those crucial goals at the right time.

So I'm really not sure what to do with him. If he wants to re-sign, nobody will be holding him back as it's working pretty well at the moment. If he wants to test FA, trade him for the right price at the deadline. Both ways I wouldn't be unsatisfied.

Steven

May 10, 2009
Just for comparison's sake, which would you guys rather have: Stajan for 3 more years @ 3.125 or Glenny for ~3 years @ say, 4.5?

Aug 21, 2014
Just for comparison's sake, which would you guys rather have: Stajan for 3 more years @ 3.125 or Glenny for ~3 years @ say, 4.5?

I'd rather have Stajan, he's more useful. Use him as 2-4 center or slot him a wing. Glenny can only play wing.

Last edited:

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I'd rather have Stajan, he's more useful. Use him as 2-4 center or slot him a wing. Glenny can only play wing.

I'd hardly say Stajan is more useful. Stajan is a decent two way forward, but he doesn't really do anything exceedingly well. Glencross is versatile enough that he can play in either the top or bottom 6. He's also a proven goal scorer, and his two way game is better than Stajan. Also, can Stajan even play the wing? I can't recall him ever being put on the wing during his time here.

Edit: Not to mention with the way the kids are developing Stajan won't likely be much more than a #3 or #4 center next year.

Last edited:

GetThePuckOut

Mar 8, 2010
Calgary
Extend him. Give him the contract he wants. Let him retire a Flame. Nothing wrong with paying someone the going market rate.

I think he wants more than market rate from Calgary, considering he signed at such a discount last time. I agree though that he should get what he wants.

AgeOfBennett

Dec 1, 2014
BC
When it comes to Glencross, at times he frustrates the hell out of me with his game-performances - easy turnovers and lack of intensity on the forecheck - and he would have horrible games. Then what he does is be in the right spot to snipe the **** out of that puck and bag those clutchy goals, and it's hard not to love him. He's like the Wayne Rooney of hockey, who'd perform horribly all throughout the game and just score those crucial goals at the right time.

So I'm really not sure what to do with him. If he wants to re-sign, nobody will be holding him back as it's working pretty well at the moment. If he wants to test FA, trade him for the right price at the deadline. Both ways I wouldn't be unsatisfied.

I totally agree. He really frustrates me with his sloppy play, but then he will go out and score a goal like last night against Colorado to open the third, or the goal against the Devils to tie it with 5 seconds left. Personally I don't really see any room for him coming next season, trade him at the deadline to the likes of LA or Pittsburg who are always looking for Vets for the cup run. Personally, I hope ferland can bump him out and LW would look like this next year:

Gaudreau
Raymond
Ferland
Bouma/Bollig

And with Stajan, he is a good vet and can be slid up and down the line up but by next year we are going to have so many young centres knocking at the door there isn't room for him either, I think Granlund will take over as 3C, and I don't really know where I stand with Backlund

Aug 21, 2014
I'd hardly say Stajan is more useful. Stajan is a decent two way forward, but he doesn't really do anything exceedingly well. Glencross is versatile enough that he can play in either the top or bottom 6. He's also a proven goal scorer, and his two way game is better than Stajan. Also, can Stajan even play the wing? I can't recall him ever being put on the wing during his time here.

Edit: Not to mention with the way the kids are developing Stajan won't likely be much more than a #3 or #4 center next year.

It's easier to slot Centers to wing than vice versa. You could plop Stajan on Bennett's wing and have Stajan take the draws.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad