Can we compete for the cup

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
this season, or the next 3?
I am asking this because of the age of Datsyuk, Z and Kronwall.

I ask this because I am not sure whether we have the talent after D and Z and because I am not sure where this team Holland and Babcock want heading.

Satrebil

Aug 3, 2006
Michigan
As suggested, an upgrade on defense and more (forward) ES scoring along with some intangibles are needed to bring this team into that discussion.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
I think we can even without a roster upgrade. The East is pretty wide open.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
i'm not so sure about next 3 seasons as the Z, K and D seem to be slowing down and is the rise of younger kids fast and soon enough to counter that but this season, with good addition or two, i think they have a shot at coming out of the east.

there is no clear best team and almost all east teams have holes in their lineup. wings are one of those 8 teams in the east of which pretty much anyone could come out of the east with good play and little luck.

but i'm not expecting it as they aren't clearly above the rest, we are one of those 8 teams that have shot and we also have holes in our lineup.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
I think we can even without a roster upgrade. The East is pretty wide open.

This.

I wouldn't be surprised if we win the East and go to the Cup final. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if e lose in the 1st round either. The 8 playoff teams in the East (assuming Boston holds on) are all very close. The East playoffs are going to be amazing this year. You cold make a legitimate case for all 8 teams to come out of the East, and there is no clear-cut favorite just as there is no team who you could say is a huge under dog.

TimoneX

Jul 30, 2012
Detroit is competitive now imo. If you look down the list of EC playoff teams not one of them really seems like a dominant force compared to the rest...though the Caps look pretty dangerous.

In the West there are real juggernaughts, but those teams may well beat each other to a pulp before facing the EC finalist.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I think the moment we have to quantify our answer with some version of, "well, the East kinda sucks..." we're really saying the answer is no. The guys who make us really go are a bit long in the tooth, our blueline is mediocre, and the kids aren't experienced enough. With some moves, sure, we could probably just say "Yes, we can compete for a cup," but right now just making the playoffs, getting the kids some experience, and hoping for some opportune bounces to go our way to fuel a run is probably the best we can hope for.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
We are *this close* to being one of the elite contenders. I think Z/D will be okay for a couple more years.

TimoneX

Jul 30, 2012
I think the moment we have to quantify our answer with some version of, "well, the East kinda sucks..." we're really saying the answer is no. The guys who make us really go are a bit long in the tooth, our blueline is mediocre, and the kids aren't experienced enough. With some moves, sure, we could probably just say "Yes, we can compete for a cup," but right now just making the playoffs, getting the kids some experience, and hoping for some opportune bounces to go our way to fuel a run is probably the best we can hope for.

Someone is going to come out of the East. It could come down to who has the hot goalie or who avoids injuries to key personnel.

There's 6pts that separate 1-7 in the East and 6pts that separate 1-2 in the West. The East has no run away favorite at this time, though that could change by the TDL.

The "long in the tooth" theme seems like an old familiar song for Red Wing fans. :handclap:

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
If Zetterberg and Datsyuk can play their best I really like the team's chances to come out of the east, but I don't know if we have the overall team depth (especially the blue line) to hang in a 7 game series with the likes of Nashville, Chicago, Anaheim, etc. this season. Even though we did well against both the Ducks and Hawks recently in the playoffs, I don't know how it would go this time around.

The good news is it looks like the only regular "playoff" team that could get in our way in the east is Pittsburgh and they usually find cool and creative ways to get themselves eliminated early.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Goaltending

When I think about this season so far and the discussions on this board here is what I have read/heard:

1. Goaltending
When we discussed our goaltending it seemed to me that the most posters think Howard can win the cup with a good team in front of him.
I personally do not think Howard can carry the team on his own to the cup, I think he is not capable of stealing games and series, but you never really know. He might get hot at the right time.
This further leads me to wonder why Holland has not added a top 4 Dman. I basicly do not think adding a Dman at the tradeline will help.
So it seems Holland is not gunning for the cup this season.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Howard is fine

We won Cups with Vernon and Osgood, Corey Crawford is a multiple Cup winner, the list goes on

goalies worse than Howard have won championships as a starter

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
That is a real good assessment. But while the kids Are getting better, Datsyuk, Z and Kronwall are declining. So I do not see the improvement there.
Someone is going to come out of the East. It could come down to who has the hot goalie or who avoids injuries to key personnel.

There's 6pts that separate 1-7 in the East and 6pts that separate 1-2 in the West. The East has no run away favorite at this time, though that could change by the TDL.

The "long in the tooth" theme seems like an old familiar song for Red Wing fans. :handclap:
Some posters think the Habs Are a bubble team carried by Price. Injuries and hot goaltending is the key.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
I hope we add Zidilicky at the deadline for say Callahan or Ferraro + 3rd or 4th.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
But is the team in front of Howard good enough?

I think for the next couple seasons (like the 3 you've proposed in this thread) our forward group would be good enough to hang with any team

The defense obviously needs to be stronger, however. And our Cup chances would hinge on how much or little that improvement is IMO.

Like say Holland is able to get Petry and he plays reasonably well for the team, we can reduce the minutes of/ scratch Ericsson or Smith or whoever isn't playing well at that time. I think our chances would improve at least a little bit, just in the sense that the team would be able to get out of their end a little bit quicker.

If it is more like a 2/3 Dman rather than a ~4/5 guy like Petry, I'd say we would have to be one of the favourites to come out of the East for the next couple years while Z and D are still as effective as they are. Assuming the 2/3 dman fits in and Babcock can find good balanced pairings.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad