Salary Cap: Can we all agree on trying to extend Johnny Boychuk?

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Love Johnny Boychuk

But I don't think we can afford to keep him, and I don't think we should have 3 stay-at-home D in the top4.

I'd like to see them use one of Spooner/Boychuk to get a young, high upside RW, and the other to get a young, cost-controlled two-way Dman.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Love Johnny Boychuk

But I don't think we can afford to keep him, and I don't think we should have 3 stay-at-home D in the top4.

I'd like to see them use one of Spooner/Boychuk to get a young, high upside RW, and the other to get a young, cost-controlled two-way Dman.

Agreed 100%

Boychuk may price himself out of Boston (& that's his right to do so).

A Boychuk + Spooner to Detroit for B.Smith + Tatar. Not exactly that but IMO that's the type of trade needed.

Danton Heineken

Howard Potts
Mar 11, 2007
Fall River
Boychuk will be 31 when his contract expires. Certainly not old for a defenseman, but he's going to start slowly declining within the next couple of seasons. The Bruins found a diamond in the rough and got the best years of his career. He has a lot of value around the league as a big, physical top 4 defenseman with extensive playoff experience and a ring. Josh Gorges just got a 2nd round pick, and Boychuk is a much superior player.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
If we trade him for the right return I can live with it, but for god's sake Chia don't trade him within the division! I don't want Boychuk lowering the boom on any of our forwards.

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
If we trade him for the right return I can live with it, but for god's sake Chia don't trade him within the division! I don't want Boychuk lowering the boom on any of our forwards.

Guy has been a full blown warrior for us. It's coming to reality that we can't afford him after this year. Only would move him for the right price still...

What other RW's are out there? Perron and Ryan are the only ones I'd seriously consider.

Plus, who knows who steps up for us this season. Miller could be the guy, maybe McQuaid if he's sticking around. Hell, maybe that Breen kid we signed could be a good call up.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Guy has been a full blown warrior for us. It's coming to reality that we can't afford him after this year. Only would move him for the right price still...

What other RW's are out there? Perron and Ryan are the only ones I'd seriously consider.

Plus, who knows who steps up for us this season. Miller could be the guy, maybe McQuaid if he's sticking around. Hell, maybe that Breen kid we signed could be a good call up.

Perron plays his off wing (LW). & I don't know why you are obsessed with him. He gets TONS of ice time & PP time in Edmonton that he wouldn't get here under Julien. Not to mention he's free to float in Edmonton. Here in Boston I'd bet he'd struggle to match Marchand statline

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
Perron plays his off wing (LW). & I don't know why you are obsessed with him. He gets TONS of ice time & PP time in Edmonton that he wouldn't get here under Julien. Not to mention he's free to float in Edmonton. Here in Boston I'd bet he'd struggle to match Marchand statline

Plays both sides btw. I like his demeanor as a player. Scrappy, hard nosed, and gritty. Of course like a Marchand type, and someone who can play the hero. Guys like that will always be successful in Boston. Cap hit is really good for what he brings. Plus Kelly would be dumped in the deal if it were to happen. You can't tell me it wouldn't be entertaining watching him and Marchy together...

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Love him, but too much money tied up on defence and goal. People will see how hard goals will come by this season. Him, Chara or Seidenberg have to be moved and take a chance Morrow or someone else steps up.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

The young PMD guys like Bart and Krug have a better shot at stepping up than Miller. Miller is not young (he is the same age as the 8 year veteran Lucic) and handles the puck like a grenade. With a slow Chara and a certainly not fleet of foot Seidenberg in the top 4, Quaider and Miller need to stay where they are.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Plays both sides btw. I like his demeanor as a player. Scrappy, hard nosed, and gritty. Of course like a Marchand type, and someone who can play the hero. Guys like that will always be successful in Boston. Cap hit is really good for what he brings. Plus Kelly would be dumped in the deal if it were to happen. You can't tell me it wouldn't be entertaining watching him and Marchy together...

With you on Perron. He can play both sides and plays with grit. In STL he was a 20 goal guy that also hit 21 goals in 57 games a couple years ago. STL is not EDM.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts

I just think this team is chock full of 20+ goal guys (Krejci Bergeron Marchand Lucic Smith). If we are trading Boychuk, I'd prefer Chia add Spooner or Koko or Morrow & try to get a guy with 30+ potential. Bobby Ryan type. I'm just not sure Perron would add more than Reilly Smith does

David Krejci*

I just think this team is chock full of 20+ goal guys (Krejci Bergeron Marchand Lucic Smith). If we are trading Boychuk, I'd prefer Chia add Spooner or Koko or Morrow & try to get a guy with 30+ potential. Bobby Ryan type. I'm just not sure Perron would add more than Reilly Smith does
Exactly.

The best option is to keep Boychuk, because he has the most value to us right now, in our Cup chase this year. But if you are going to trade him, it has to be part of a package for a legitimate difference maker, otherwise it is not worth the massive hole in your top 4 that you are creating, that nobody in the organization right now can fill. Perron is not that guy, that would be a horrible trade, and Chiarelli is smart and would not do that. He knows how valuable Boychuk is to us.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household

If

Chara - Hamilton
Seidenberg - Boychuk

is your top four, then you have no way to ice the Chara/Seidenberg pair.

I know many don't seem to care about this, but everyone speaks of the forward pairs and how important they are to this team. That defense tandem is twice as important as any of them.

I'll add that to the numerous other reasons why trading Boychuk should be looked at as a positive option to those already stated.

David Krejci*

If

Chara - Hamilton
Seidenberg - Boychuk

I know many don't seem to care about this, but everyone speaks of the forward pairs and how important they are to this team. That defense tandem is twice as important as any of them.

I'll add that to the numerous other reasons why trading Boychuk should be looked at as a positive option to those already stated.

That's a legitimate point, but it's not worth the downgrade from Boychuk that it would likely entail. If there was a name out there that has been brought up that would be worth it to be able to give you that option to put Seids/Chara together, I haven't seen it. Edler is not that guy, in my opinion.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004

If

Chara - Hamilton
Seidenberg - Boychuk

I dunno, I thought Dougie complemented Chara really well this year. I could totally live with that top 4 configured exactly as-is.

LetEmPlay

Oct 29, 2007

If

Chara - Hamilton
Seidenberg - Boychuk

If

No Boychuk.

Chara - Seidenberg
Hamilton - (insert bottom pairing defenseman here)

Krug, Bart, Miller, McQuiad

Who plays on the second pairing?

Central Scrutinizer

Lord of Song
Jan 6, 2010
montreal

If

Chara - Hamilton
Seidenberg - Boychuk

If trading Boychuk means more Bartkowksi,Miller and McQuaid count me out.

Central Scrutinizer

Lord of Song
Jan 6, 2010
montreal
Love Johnny Boychuk

Who are the 3 stay at home Dman on the top 4?

Mr. Make-Believe

I dunno, I thought Dougie complemented Chara really well this year. I could totally live with that top 4 configured exactly as-is.

1. We lost this season to an inferior team. I look at the defense as the primary reason why and it's not all on Bartkowski's head. I'll agree that Chara/Hamilton looked complimentary. I would wholly disagree that they looked anywhere near as sound as Chara/Seidenberg. And I would say also not as good as Chara/Boychuk.

2. Chara compliments Dougie and vice versa. Seidenberg and Boychuk do not.

I could totally live with this top-4 as constructed as well. But I could totally live with a lot of other top-four scenarios as well. People talk about Boychuk as though he's a critical hinge to the success of the Boston Bruins. Personally, I think there's some room for creativity there...

Mr. Make-Believe

Who are the 3 stay at home Dman on the top 4?

Trick question? Nah, rhetorical more like it.

Seems like you disagree with classifying one of them as stay-at-home, but I think a stronger argument could be made for the contrary. Perhaps better wording would be defensive-minded defensemen, rather than two-way?

Last edited:

LetEmPlay

Oct 29, 2007
1. We lost this season to an inferior team. I look at the defense as the primary reason why and it's not all on Bartkowski's head. I'll agree that Chara/Hamilton looked complimentary. I would wholly disagree that they looked anywhere near as sound as Chara/Seidenberg. And I would say also not as good as Chara/Boychuk.

2. Chara compliments Dougie and vice versa. Seidenberg and Boychuk do not.

I could totally live with this top-4 as constructed as well. But I could totally live with a lot of other top-four scenarios as well. People talk about Boychuk as though he's a critical hinge to the success of the Boston Bruins. Personally, I think there's some room for creativity there...

What are the other top four scenarios though. Hamilton and who?

Mr. Make-Believe

If

No Boychuk.

Chara - Seidenberg
Hamilton - (insert bottom pairing defenseman here)

Krug, Bart, Miller, McQuiad

Who plays on the second pairing?

I see we have Kelly, Boychuk, Bartkowski, Caron, one of Spooner/Khoko that are likely being bantered about as potential trades. Some of those guys, I'd even say are cinches to be dealt... And I could see every single one of them going.

The answer in who shoots right in the top nine and who skates the left side would lie in the returns of those deals/an interesting signing or two who battle for spots in TC. Not Krug. Not Bartkowski.

LetEmPlay

Oct 29, 2007
I see we have Kelly, Boychuk, Bartkowski, Caron, one of Spooner/Khoko that are likely being bantered about as potential trades. Some of those guys, I'd even say are cinches to be dealt... And I could see every single one of them going.

The answer in who shoots right in the top nine and who skates the left side would lie in the returns of those deals/an interesting signing or two who battle for spots in TC. Not Krug. Not Bartkowski.

I think that's why I just can't see why people want to trade Boychuk. In my mind no return via trade or signing, or young unproven asset, will be both better and cheaper than Boychuk. I'd rather they take another run at the cup with him this year and lose him for nothing next year when Bart, Hamilton, Krug, miller have another year of experience.

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
I think that's why I just can't see why people want to trade Boychuk. In my mind no return via trade or signing, or young unproven asset, will be both better and cheaper than Boychuk. I'd rather they take another run at the cup with him this year and lose him for nothing next year when Bart, Hamilton, Krug, miller have another year of experience.

This is the correct answer.

Mr. Make-Believe

I don't think that player would be an improvement to Boychuk.

But I DO think that the Bruins would be more apt to take a run at the Cup with a cap-compliant team that had a young and talented RH shot for the top nine, a more well-rounded top four defense and the option to play Chara/Seidenberg together in the post-season... Than I do with the difference between Johnny Boychuk and his replacement.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad