Salary Cap: Can we all agree on trying to extend Johnny Boychuk?

Central Scrutinizer

Lord of Song
Jan 6, 2010
montreal
Trick question? Nah, rhetorical more like it.

Seems like you disagree with classifying one of them as stay-at-home, but I think a stronger argument could be made for the contrary. Perhaps better wording would be defensive-minded defensemen, rather than two-way?
Maybe.

When i think stay at home defensemen, names like Mitchell,Phillips,Jackman,Matt Greene. basically guys with little offence but good defenders.

I think Chara,Seidenberg and Boychuk all can supply offence and put up respectable #'s.

What i am most excited about is the Bruins possibly(and realistically)having 3 Dman with 15+ goals next season (Chara,Hamilton and Krug)

With Seids back the Bruins may have the best Dcore in the league...if not , top 3. And we all know what wins championships.

I am not against moving Boychuk. But if they do i want another top 4 dman and not a top 6 winger.

Lord Ahriman

Oct 21, 2009
1. We lost this season to an inferior team. I look at the defense as the primary reason why and it's not all on Bartkowski's head. I'll agree that Chara/Hamilton looked complimentary. I would wholly disagree that they looked anywhere near as sound as Chara/Seidenberg. And I would say also not as good as Chara/Boychuk.

2. Chara compliments Dougie and vice versa. Seidenberg and Boychuk do not.

I could totally live with this top-4 as constructed as well. But I could totally live with a lot of other top-four scenarios as well. People talk about Boychuk as though he's a critical hinge to the success of the Boston Bruins. Personally, I think there's some room for creativity there...

I don't think that player would be an improvement to Boychuk.

But I DO think that the Bruins would be more apt to take a run at the Cup with a cap-compliant team that had a young and talented RH shot for the top nine, a more well-rounded top four defense and the option to play Chara/Seidenberg together in the post-season... Than I do with the difference between Johnny Boychuk and his replacement.

I understand what are you saying, I just can't see how to do what you want. Edler would make sense if we had enough cap space, same case about Yandle (but Boychuk ++ doesn't make sense, because Arizona needs forwards), so whom? Sure, there are some options (Enstrom and Bogosian would be awesome too), but it's almost impossible to make this happen.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
I understand what are you saying, I just can't see how to do what you want. Edler would make sense if we had enough cap space, same case about Yandle (but Boychuk ++ doesn't make sense, because Arizona needs forwards), so whom? Sure, there are some options (Enstrom and Bogosian would be awesome too), but it's almost impossible to make this happen.

I'm thinking more along the lines of what C. Parker was suggesting earlier with Del Zotto. Perhaps not that specific player, but something along those lines. No one with a lot of term in the contract.

Or perhaps something we haven't considered yet. Seems to be the case much of the time that these deals come out outer space. Kevin Klein was a guy last season who I never would have seen being dealt and he'd have been a great fit here.

Point is, it's not an impossibility. I think people are being hung up on the specificity of Johnny Boychuk, rather than realizing that a) something has to be done to clear up space and b) that something doesn't necessarily have to lead to a compromised quality of roster.

Rancid McGoiter

Still metal.
Feb 1, 2005
Chara, Seids, and Johnny...

I agree. Extending Boychuk should be a priority. Eventually; Anything between 3-5 would be perfect. I see our D represented by these three guys, and the rest are ancillary at the moment. Krug, Hamilton, McQuaid and whoever Chia scrounges up, can fill it out nicely.

Right now, he should be focusing on the front lines when it comes to trades and free agency. He's got a mess on his hands.

Central Scrutinizer

Lord of Song
Jan 6, 2010
montreal
I'm thinking more along the lines of what C. Parker was suggesting earlier with Del Zotto. Perhaps not that specific player, but something along those lines. No one with a lot of term in the contract.

Or perhaps something we haven't considered yet. Seems to be the case much of the time that these deals come out outer space. Kevin Klein was a guy last season who I never would have seen being dealt and he'd have been a great fit here.

Point is, it's not an impossibility. I think people are being hung up on the specificity of Johnny Boychuk, rather than realizing that a) something has to be done to clear up space and b) that something doesn't necessarily have to lead to a compromised quality of roster.
Cody Franson....yes, i said it!

26 yrs old 6'4 220lbs,Shoots right. 280 hits last year, 33 points.

not hard for a decent dman to look bad in Toronto.

Rumored to be piece going back in Georges trade(Georges didn't waive his ntc)

He is an RFA and earned 2m.

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
An extended Boychuk wouldn't be a bad thing. I'd like to think he'd leave a little bit of money on the table to get that long term insurance now. While the thought of hitting the market as a UFA D-Man might be nice, he's also coming off a career year at 30 years old right now. If they can't work it out, I'd look to trade him this summer. Can't let that asset walk for nothing next July.

Lord Ahriman

Oct 21, 2009
Cody Franson....yes, i said it!

26 yrs old 6'4 220lbs,Shoots right. 280 hits last year, 33 points.

not hard for a decent dman to look bad in Toronto.

Rumored to be piece going back in Georges trade(Georges didn't waive his ntc)

He is an RFA and earned 2m.

Our system could make him a valuable piece. Good call.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
The guy we saw in the playoffs is worth 5-6 per any day. Just look at the deals being given out. NTC and NMC are a given since you want to keep the cap hit down and don't want to sign him into his 40s.

Chara-JB
Seids-Dougie
Krug-Miller

Warso

D is fine keep Boychuk around for Seids and Chara's contracts hes one of ours. Im shocked people don't move other parts first to keep him.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Who are the 3 stay at home Dman on the top 4?

Chara, Boychuk and Seidenberg.

All of them are vulnerable to speed, both 1on1 and in terms of getting hemmed in by a speedy forechecker. None of them are particularly strong at the transition game, or passing/breakout game. Maybe the confusion is more about terminology, but I consider those three guys defense-first types. I think they're lacking in the skills mentioned above, and I think our D could use a little more of that skill-set. I know Chara puts up points but he gets most of his points by bombing away from the point, and he scored most of his goals last year standing in front of the net. I think he needs to be paired with Hamilton next year, so he has some young legs to go back for puck retrievals and to do some of the things I'm talking about.

Fwiw, I'm not saying we put Krug in the top4, I don't want a pure PMD, but I'd like to see them get someone in between Krug and Boychuk for the second pair, even if it's someone we have to develop a little bit.

Last edited:

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Fwiw, I'm not saying we put Krug in the top4, I don't want a pure PMD, but I'd like to see them get someone in between Krug and Boychuk for the second pair, even if it's someone we have to develop a little bit.

I wanted an Edler deal to go through so badly.

Could that person be Morrow? How far away is he?

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I wanted an Edler deal to go through so badly.

Could that person be Morrow? How far away is he?

I think he has that upside, and I think that's what they're hoping for, but I think he's got a ways to go, developmentally, to get there.

I could see him (and Koko, who I know a lot of folks have been penciling into lineups) getting the 20 game/cup of coffee/get your feet wet treatment this season, with a real shot at becoming an NHL regular starting a year from now.

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
To answer the question in the thread title:

No, we cannot all agree.

i think this board would have a hard time reaching a consensus on whether or not the sun rose in the east.

Alan Ryan

Jun 1, 2006
I think that's why I just can't see why people want to trade Boychuk. In my mind no return via trade or signing, or young unproven asset, will be both better and cheaper than Boychuk. I'd rather they take another run at the cup with him this year and lose him for nothing next year when Bart, Hamilton, Krug, miller have another year of experience.

I'm not usually in favor of losing an asset for nothing, but in this case I agree with you. Boychuk is important to the Bruins for 2014-15 and should not be traded.

After that I'm not sure a long term, expensive contract is the way to go with Boychuk anyway. If he wants to remain a Bruin for a reasonable cap hit, then OK. If he wants big free agent money then move on from him.

Salem13

Feb 6, 2008
Salem,Mass
I can and will agree.

Unfortunately it matters not because the "vote" here could be unanimous and it wouldn't make a bit of difference.

It really should. We like our Bruins with Boychuck.

Just like 'New Coke' this 'New Bruins' without the coveted ingredient Boychuck wont sell as well.

Fortunately for soft drink producers there is no 'calorie cap' they must be compliant with before putting a can to market. :p:

Charazard

Mar 24, 2013
Mississauga On
Chara will do whatever is nessessary for the team, which might be taking a lesser role. They need boychuk here right after losing ference we can't keep losing our key guys and hope the young guys can play at that level and the playoffs is a different story. He brings his A game always.

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
yes, no doubt. Agree!

I can and will agree.

Unfortunately it matters not because the "vote" here could be unanimous and it wouldn't make a bit of difference.

Well yes, a unanimous vote here won't make any difference. However, if that kind of sentiment exists here then one would think that there's probably a similar sentiment among the ranks of those who can make a difference.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
We know that at least 1 if not 2 Dmen will be traded before the season starts.

We know it won't be Chara or Hamilton.
Krug has a unique skill set among our Dmen so he'll also stay.
Miller has the perfect cheap contract to be our #6/7.

That means, that 1-2 Dmen traded will be among the group of Boychuk-Seids-Bart-McQuaid.

I thought for sure that Bart would be the odd man out. Since it hasn't happened yet, maybe it's because Chia hasn't ruled out getting cap space and a forward for Boychuk instead if he sees his asking price for an extension don't work in his mind.

We'll have to sit and wait. But we all know, and Chia has said it himself, that he'll trade at least 1 D.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
game plan is simple for both Johnny and Krejci- you want to extend them.

Boychuk probably going to have to go 4 and likely 5 years. Looking at around 5 a year. Going to be a tough one- that is a **** load of money tied up on the backline with Chara, Seids, Krug, Hamilton, and Johnny for the next 5 years....can you get that for under $25 or close to it? Seids contract is now a freaking steal so maybe it works

Krejci- I'd got 5 or 6 at around $7 M with a prenup NMC....that should do it

there will be enough young players to keep this down

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
I would offer Boychuk a 4 year deal at $4.25 - $4.5M per. If he doesn't accept, he is traded period.

I agree. Nothing more.

Trade only for a legit top 6 RW. If he's dealt, we can always go after somebody like Tim Gleason of Carolina at the deadline to take on a role of a top 4 defensemen. He'd fit in well. He and JB play the same style.

Last edited:

David Krejci*

I agree. Nothing more.

Trade only for a legit top 6 RW. If he's dealt, we can always go after somebody like Tim Gleason of Carolina at the deadline to take on a role of a top 4 defensemen. He'd fit in well. He and JB play the same style.

Physically they may play the same style, but Boychuk's offense and always coming up HUGE in the playoffs is what makes him an X factor. They will not trade Boychuk, even for a legit top 6 RW, unless that RW is a difference maker, not a Perron type. Which they probably won't get. They're better off letting him play the year out and give them their best shot at a Cup this year, and letting him walk in UFA, than trading him for less than he's really worth.

supersonic jet

Jun 22, 2014
Winnipeg

enstom for marchand

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad