Can Ward's future

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I see there are some posts on the trade board suggesting a deal around Ward for Kuemper. I've been arguing against trading Ward, but this is something that would be a good deal for the Canes...a duo of Khudobin and Kuemper for the next year + would be solid...plus Kuemper is an RFA when his deal is up.

From the Wild perspective it may not be appealing unless some salary is retained. Kuemper makes 1.5 next year and Cam makes 6.8. So if the Canes retained 25%, it would increase MN payroll by 3.5. This would end up saving the Canes about 3.6.

At about half-way point in the season, MN sits 6 points outside of a wild card spot. How desperate is Fletcher to make the playoffs this year? Could Ward be a difference maker for the team?

7 points out of a wild card spot, at this point in the season, might as well be a death sentence, especially in a strong Western Conference. If Minnesota had maintained their pace and been somewhat closer to the 7th/8th range, I can see them may have going after Ward.

Right now though? It'd be unlikely, especially at the cost of Kuemper.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I agree with the premise that Ward is a tough sell to Minnesota as they fade. But they are still close, and GMs that are close have made desperate moves before. Especially when they are in a situation where moves like Parise, Suter, Pominville, and Vanek have screamed win now. They are likely loathe to let a season of these guys at this point in their careers go down the drain without trying anything. Also, the benefit to the Canes even in a Minnesota situation, or maybe with another interested team that isn't even in contention, is that Ward wouldn't be a rental. It does seem to be a long shot though as the situation unfolds.

Clark Gillies

Oct 3, 2006
Carolina
No but at the very least he's shown why he should platoon with Ward, which seems to be what's going on right now.

It really isn't much of a platoon right now.
Cam has had 8 starts in the time that Anton has his 4 straight wins.

I don't think Anton needs to be the "starter" but he needs to be getting the nod a little more often than he has been.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Ward needs to be getting less starts simply because he's still the goaltender that's one year removed from a major injury.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
It really isn't much of a platoon right now.
Cam has had 8 starts in the time that Anton has his 4 straight wins.

I don't think Anton needs to be the "starter" but he needs to be getting the nod a little more often than he has been.

Ward needs to be getting less starts simply because he's still the goaltender that's one year removed from a major injury.

I'd agree with both of these takes.

I think Pete needs to run with Anton for a little while here since he seems to have the hot hand of late, much the same way he ran with Cam when he had it. Playing Cam 60+ this year would be doing the guy absolutely no favors when he's trying to come back from a few injury plagued years.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Anton has been playing the puck like a hand grenade, and I think that irks Peters. Cam's been much more comfortable with his puckhandling and communication with the defense.

And since our main goal isn't necessarily winning games, I don't find anything wrong with the current timeshare. If it was me, of course, I'd be trying to maximize Cam's trade value by putting him in the best position to be successful on nights with the most scouts in the stands.

The bottom line is that we have two goalies who give us roughly the same chance to win on any given night, which is just silly, IMO.

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
Hey guys, I was wondering what the general consensus around this board is with Ward? To be honest, I was thinking about acquiring him in my keeper league but only if he gets traded or leaves after his contract (no offense. I'm an oilers fan, we suck too :(). Do you guys see him being dealt at the deadline or the offseason? Will he stay long term with you guys or walk after his contract is up? Thanks in advance!

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
He's got a NTC at the moment and shown no indication that he wants to waive it, so he's probably going to stay with the Canes for the duration of his remaining contract.

Past that, it's anyone's guess.

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
He's got a NTC at the moment and shown no indication that he wants to waive it, so he's probably going to stay with the Canes for the duration of his remaining contract.

Past that, it's anyone's guess.

Hmm, I read an article earlier in the year on NHL.com that he thought he wasn't going to be back in the offseason, did he always have a NTC or did it just kick in? Also, just out of curiosity, what kind of return would you guys be looking for if you were to trade Ward away? (Assuming he waives NTC).

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Hmm, I read an article earlier in the year on NHL.com that he thought he wasn't going to be back in the offseason, did he always have a NTC or did it just kick in? Also, just out of curiosity, what kind of return would you guys be looking for if you were to trade Ward away? (Assuming he waives NTC).

He's always had a NTC. He thought he wasn't going to be back, because Francis apparently told him so. But when the offers for him ended up being Ward + 7th overall for ???, Francis correctly decided to not even bother asking him to waive.

With the way he's played this year, his value has raised. Most would be happy with a 2nd or 3rd for him at the moment, though that's more to do with simply getting his contract off the books.

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
He's always had a NTC. He thought he wasn't going to be back, because Francis apparently told him so. But when the offers for him ended up being Ward + 7th overall for ???, Francis correctly decided to not even bother asking him to waive.

With the way he's played this year, his value has raised. Most would be happy with a 2nd or 3rd for him at the moment, though that's more to do with simply getting his contract off the books.

Oh okay, makes sense. Thanks for clearing that up.

Really? I would love for the Oilers to try and acquire Ward at the draft. Since he's from the area, I think he would waive but then again, we suck so you never know :laugh:. I think he gets some undeserved hate on this board. From the games I've seen of him this year (limited) he has looked pretty good to me.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
^ I feel like Minnesota wouldn't have settled for Dubnyk if he did

That's got more to do with contract and age than actual value. Kuemper is still Minnesota's goalie of the future, so whoever they grabbed would have essentially been the backup next year. And Minnesota is in no more condition to pay 6 million for a backup than the Canes are.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007

Nothing to do with a 5.5 million dollar difference in salary (plus another year of Ward's deal)?

I feel like Ward has more value than the negative value he had in the offseason. But every mediocre game he plays diminishes it for sure. It's going to take an injury to a goaltender on a playoff team for Ward to get moved, and even then he may not waive.

We probably should get used to he and Khudobin for one more year.

The Stranger

May 4, 2014
he still has no value

when you consider that dubnyk has comparable numbers to ward over the past 4.5 seasons and makes considerably less money (important given their cap situation), i'm not sure if they really "settled"

Is there evidence RF is currently trying to trade Ward?

Trade value is volatile and difficult to establish in thinly traded markets.

Basing a valuation on one trade and some speculation is not going to yield good results.

dogbazinho

May 24, 2006
Fairfax, VA
There is no evidence that RF has done a thing this year. I believe he's waiting going to wait a few more weeks to decide whether he wants to trade Sekera which is probably his top priority.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Canucks fan with a question:

This seemed the most appropriate thread to put this as it is goalie related. Around these parts, Eddlie Lack's name has surfaced in trade rumours. I'm wondering if there is a potenial fit for the 'Canes?

Earlier in the year, the buzz was that Francis would trade Ward. But it seems like value is an issue, as well as the NMC. Is it still expected that he will be dealt? If so, is there any interest in Lack to take his place?

Thanks for your response.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Canucks fan with a question:

This seemed the most appropriate thread to put this as it is goalie related. Around these parts, Eddlie Lack's name has surfaced in trade rumours. I'm wondering if there is a potenial fit for the 'Canes?

Earlier in the year, the buzz was that Francis would trade Ward. But it seems like value is an issue, as well as the NMC. Is it still expected that he will be dealt? If so, is there any interest in Lack to take his place?

Thanks for your response.

nah not really, if cam goes khudobin will be the guy, so it would be better to find the backup from within the system or go out and sign someone else, no need to give up assets for lack when you can just sign someone else.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
If the offer was Lack straight across for Ward to be Khudobin's backup, sure. But otherwise no, no interest from the Canes part most likely

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad