Can the Tampa Bay Lightning be the first team since the 95-96 Red Wings to win 60 games?

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
45 wins with 22 to go? I think they can do that based on what Im watching. They could/probably will slow down but this team wins games in their sleep it seems like. They truly can coast for 50-60 percent of the game and then amp it up in the final 20 and win the game. Dont like watching that hockey but they can and have done it in the past. Hope we just keep playing hard from now until the final whistle for this team. Would love to see them make all the achievements they are setting out for. No doubt Ill take a cup over all of it though.

gtrower

Feb 10, 2016
I could see them doing that for sure. Could also see Pitt sneaking in as WC2 and knocking them out in 6 in R1 two weeks later.

Tampa really deserves the cup this year.

Based on what? The goal of teams isn’t to win the regular season. For all we know they will have blown their load going for a RS wins record and be tired come April. Plus, it’s hockey with 16 teams in the playoffs. Even if they are “heavy favorites” they have maybe a 15% chance to actually win the Cup.

Last edited:

Brucelenok

Aug 9, 2016
Can they? Absolutely! In fact I think they will break 60-wins mark. But I still think 09-10 Caps would give them the challenge for the best regular season team in the post cap era. That team was insane from offensive production.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
Even if they are “heavy favorites” they have maybe a 15% chance to actually win the Cup.

Assuming you gave them even 90% in the first round and 70% in each series the rest of the way, you'd have a 30% chance of winning the Cup.

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
Well that 96 Wings team didn't win the cup.

If we include lockout shortened seasons, the 2013 Blackhawks actually had higher winning percentage than the 96 Wings.

That's true, would still be crazy considering how close this Lightning team has been 3 out of the last 4 seasons though.

gtrower

Feb 10, 2016
Assuming you gave them even 90% in the first round and 70% in each series the rest of the way, you'd have a 30% chance of winning the Cup.

lol who has ever been a 90% favorite in any playoff series? I’d currently have them 55% over the Caps/Pens and 60% over Toronto/Boston/Columbus.

Every year somebody wins the PT and (almost) every year we see people completely puzzled how a team lower in the standings with a good gameplan and hot goaltender knocks them out.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
lol who has ever been a 90% favorite in any playoff series? I’d currently have them 55% over the Caps/Pens and 60% over Toronto/Boston/Columbus.

Every year somebody wins the PT and (almost) every year we see people completely puzzled how a team lower in the standings with a good gameplan and hot goaltender knocks them out.

Yeah, no way they are 90% in any round.

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
Well that 96 Wings team didn't win the cup.

If we include lockout shortened seasons, the 2013 Blackhawks actually had higher winning percentage than the 96 Wings.
To be fair the Hawks did it in a league where every game ended in a win though. The Wings tied 7 games. With their skill, it is not unreasonable at all to assume they’d win at least 4 of the 7 in modern rules and set up. Even if you give them two of the seven, the scales are tipped.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013

I'd say some teams have been 90% favourites. If you put Tampa against whoever ends up with the final West spot, I'd actually give it a 90%. But 90% was a high estimate in my example to show that Tampa still at best has a 1/3 chance of winning the Cup.

AlphaCatalyst

Elite Fan
Jun 27, 2007
Calgary
Mr Kucherov, Your thoughts on the OP question?

0aojSNR.gif

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
No, Tampa has been kinda lucky this last stretch. The team looks disinterested and fatigued, and would not be shocked if Cooper starts resting guys in the final 10. There is a bigger prize on the horizon.

Reactions: Iceman

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
8 President Trophy winners since 86 went on to win the cup. That's about 25% chance.

I'm guessing that's higher than the rest of the field. Like, if you added up how many times the #2 seed won, I'm thinking, what? 15%? And lower and lower as it goes. So, while President's Trophy winners don't win more often than not, they still win more than other seeds.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
No, Tampa has been kinda lucky this last stretch. The team looks disinterested and fatigued, and would not be shocked if Cooper starts resting guys in the final 10. There is a bigger prize on the horizon.

I think that's actually a good sign. They win despite often looking disinterested.

Something people forget about those Wings teams is how many games they won that they probably shouldn't have. They learned how and when to turn it on, and were often good enough to win even when they didn't. Anybody who thinks they played every game like it was their last is out to lunch.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Need to go 10-6, shouldn't be too hard. They'll do it if they just feel like it.

Reactions: Cellee

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Also 5v5 overtime and no loser point.

Sure, but you could also spend a bajillion dollars on Chris Chelios and Pat Verbeek and whoever else you wanted to bring in. It probably all comes out in the wash.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
They get to play the Senators and Red Wings in three of their last 16, so that should be 3 wins.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Would be cool to see! I always root for teams or players to break records - Lightning or not. Be part of history and all...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad