Can the Tampa Bay Lightning be the first team since the 95-96 Red Wings to win 60 games?

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
After tonight they'll have 45 wins with 22 games left, so they'll have to go .681 to hit 60. They're currently at a .750 win rate, I think it's very possible even if they start resting players near the end of the season. Jon Cooper has done an amazing job, and that roster is stacked with superstar talent from offence to goaltending. What do you guys think will happen?

Edit: Also I wanted to say I'm really f***ing jealous they have Brayden Point. f*** me their drafting has been ridiculous.

Firsov99

Feb 17, 2006
It's doable if Hedman's injury doesn't turn out to be too serious.

But I am sure that Tampa won't be chasing this benchmark.

Reactions: Post Karl Malone

MSZ

Car guy
Oct 5, 2014
Scarborough
If they don't win this year I wouldn't even know what to say.

Well that 96 Wings team didn't win the cup.

If we include lockout shortened seasons, the 2013 Blackhawks actually had higher winning percentage than the 96 Wings.

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
Everyone one in the West is hoping they get beat up in the playoffs before/if they make it to the finals... A tired and injured Tampa would make things more even

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Man, wouldn't it be awesome if they did? Last time it happened was over 20 years ago. As a fan, not just a Lightning fan but a hockey fan in general.

Hint1k

Oct 27, 2017
I think no.

Kucherov and Vasilevsky are hot now. Which is probably the main reason why Tampa suddenly went from 5 wins/5 losses pace to the 6 wins in a row. When their hot-streak ends, Bolts will return to the 50% winning or may be even less %.

I suspect there is an internal target. Something like "take the 1st place in the East to ensure the home-ice advantage". But considering the 16 point difference between Tampa and the 2nd team, even this target does not require to win that many games.

So practically speaking there is a zero chance to set any win record this year.

Last edited:

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
62 wins for the Red Wings in 95-96 Bolts could hit 60 for sure. I think even resting players they will have a shot. Record for points in season is 132 by 76-77 Canadians in 80 games with only 8 losses and 12 ties don't think that record gets broken ever.

Last edited:

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
Even if they end up not hitting it, their season is still impressive. I never thought a team would be able to come close to the record with the way the league is set up now.

Hopefully, they rest some players, fall on their face, miss the record and Stevie takes another shot a building a contender back in Detroit. ;)

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
I don't think they will. I think once March hits you're gonna see them dial it back a bit and maybe even start to add guys like Stamkos, McDonagh, Hedman, Kuch and Point into the rest rotation to be as fresh as possible for the playoffs.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
It's doable if Hedman's injury doesn't turn out to be too serious.

But I am sure that Tampa won't be chasing this benchmark.
Coop said last night he didn't think it was serious.

Avoiding injuries and going into the playoffs healthy should be the only thing Tampa chases. I don't think Kuch cares about the point totals and I don't think the team cares about win totals.

Reactions: Firsov99

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad