Can the Rangers beat the Capitals this year

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
If McDonaghs not healthy no way. And if the penalty kill doesn't improve they'll slaughter the Rangers.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The Rangers have a lot of miles on some of their D. Staal and Girardi battled injuries in the playoffs last year. They have played so much hockey in the last 5 years. Boyle is 39. Klein is 31. McDonagh was hurt last year and he has also played a ton of minutes. Klein was hurt coming into the playoffs. This is the worst non lockout Rangers team in the last 5 years. McDonagh is now hurt. Who knows what is up with Nash? He was supposed to have another test yesterday on his foot.

nothingbeatshockey

May 3, 2013
Any team can beat any other team when the playoffs come around. A stud goalie [Lundqvist] can steal a series [Caps fans still have nightmares from Halak when he was in Montreal and the 8th seed Habs beat the Presiden'ts Trophy winning Caps.]

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Can they? Yes. Will they? No.

Would take a drastic overhaul of the PK and for AV to distribute minutes appropriately. First is a tough fix, the second is one that won't happen willingly.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
If McDonaghs not healthy no way. And if the penalty kill doesn't improve they'll slaughter the Rangers.

We cant beat them this year

Can they? Yes. Will they? No.

Would take a drastic overhaul of the PK and for AV to distribute minutes appropriately. First is a tough fix, the second is one that won't happen willingly.

Given the current issue with the PK, and Ovechkin's shot, the Rangers would have a tough time with this team, but I also don't think the Capitals are going to go as deep as people are prognosticating. I still think they will flop in the second round. The Eastern conference has a lot of parity. One could look at the records and say the East just sucks, but I think the records are deceiving. The East lost a lot of single Ãœber talent because of Edmonton and a few other filter feeders siphoning off the early draft picks, but a lot of the teams in the East will be a lot more competitive that people are giving them credit when the playoffs start. A lot of the perception with the overall records are relative strength being blinded by parity. The Capitals were able to pull ahead due to superior high octane offense, but I believe it will be a different story in the post-season.

Anyway, I still don't want to face them because the matchup has become more important than the seed. There aren't any breeze rounds based solely on placement. If you get a bad matchup, it could knock out an league-based superior team.

Whitehawk1186

Mar 12, 2015
New Haven, CT
The Capitals are the best team in hockey, and will run away with the division, and possibly the President's Trophy. However, I can see the Rangers beating them if the following were to happen:

1. We must be completely healthy.
2. We stay out of the box (and drastically improve on the PK).
3. Lundqvist stands on his head
4. Rick Nash finally explodes on the playoffs.

Overall, I'd put the odds of the Rangers beating the Capitals as it stands now at 30%. I just have a feeling this is the Capitals year

Last edited:

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Caps are the best team in hockey, but do you want to hear something really scary - they've done really really well in the draft the last few years and they have a very good prospect pool that will be heading to nhl ice in the next few years.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
maybe not, given how we have played all year.
but maybe the Devs, Pens or Isles do,
and thats who we face in 2d round

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
The Capitals are the best team in hockey, and will run array with the division, and possibly the President's Trophy. However, I can see the Rangers beating them if the following were to happen:

Overall, I'd put the odds of the Rangers beating the Capitals as it stands now at 30%. I just have a feeling this is the Capitals year

Given the 4 qualities you mentioned, our chance of beatings the Capitals is less than or equal to 25%.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
i just dont see it. i dont think we're even in the same stratosphere as that team. particularly on special teams.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
The Capitals are the best team in hockey, and will run array with the division, and possibly the President's Trophy. However, I can see the Rangers beating them if the following were to happen:

I feel like that list applies to any team really.

Zats Muccarello

Grinder
Dec 30, 2010
NYC
If it was only 5v5 we could definitely win but their power play is lethal with the Ovi one timer set up every single time.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
5 on 5 I absolutely think we can take them.

The only thing that scares me is they have a legendary powerplay and our penalty kill is some ECHL ****.

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
with a healthy lineup and the 4th line upgraded, they definitely can. They have no issues scoring against them, pk and d coverage has been the achilles heel.

On the other hand, Washington made great moves with Oshies and Williams. Some on here said losing Ward and Brouwer made them worse but crealy they were wrong. They now have scoring depth that was missing and will be much harder to shut down.

lucky13

Iron Chic
Sep 17, 2006
Ridgewood, NY
This is a series where our special teams can kill us..... I think this team has another gear for the playoffs... We're already a very good 5x5 team and can hang with and or beat any team 5x5

But the special teams are a disaster this year and unless that gets worked out a team like the caps will exploit it....
So in short yes I do think we can beat them this year... But unless we fix our pp and even more so our PK it's not very likely....

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Pens fan saying they can, especially if they play like they have in recent games. The Rangers still have that 'magic' (whatever it is) that they've had over the past few seasons. Besides, somebody needs to if the Pens are done early. :naughty:

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Pens fan saying they can, especially if they play like they have in recent games. The Rangers still have that 'magic' (whatever it is) that they've had over the past few seasons. Besides, somebody needs to if the Pens are done early. :naughty:

You have our word that the Rangers will give it their best shot after the Blueshirts stomp the Penguins out of the first round.

*Bob Richards*

At even strength with our goalie pulling some strings like he usually does? I think we could do it.

We could literally never ever, and I mean ever, take a penalty though. We'd have to pull an immaculate series in that regard. :laugh:

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Well you're talking about the two best 5v5 teams in hockey here.... while also talking about one of the best PP & PK teams and one of the worst PP & PK teams.

The Rangers as presently constituted wouldn't win in a 7 game series, especially if they got into penalty trouble.

True the majority of the game is played 5v5, but not all of it, the Rangers are one of the worst special teams units out there, versus the caps who are going to score ever 4 powerplays they get... and the Rangers give up a goal every 4 power plays they give up.

Only way the Rangers compete is if the PK magically fixes itself (Bye Paille, Glass.... and perhaps even Dom Moore and/or Stalberg) and you get some reliable lead protectors out there.

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
trotz can't coach in the playoffs. He's never been very far once the playoffs start. I remember all those great teams he had in Nashville.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad