Speculation: Can the Oilers make any kind of significant improvements to the Defensive Corps witho

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Yak Yak Yak.

Sure he has great potential. Sure he improved under Nelson.

But those saying he has looked even remotely decent in his young career are fooling themselves.

As a biased Oilers fan I think he should have been a Calder finalist or even winner but as anyone outside the Oilers would tell you most of his success came against nothing teams in meaningless games right at the end of the season.

Yaks game to date is extremely suspect. He is without doubt an addition by subtraction player as it stands right now. People who ignore their eyes and say his plus minus doesn't matter are pulling the wool over their own eyes.

I like Yaks shot but that's the only part of his game NHL worthy right now. I am very confident he will get better and be a positive part of any team within 5 years. But I am not confident he will ever be a game breaker or be able to dominate at the national hockey league level.

His game is too junior. Primarily just hopes someone can get him the puck.

As a consensus first overall even in a very weak draft he has trade value. On another team with fewer one dimensional forwards he would be less of a liability as well.

If we can trade him to upgrade our defence and/or goaltending significantly we should. It just makes sense. Eberle is much further ahead in his overall game.

The bolded is completely false.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
The bolded is completely false.

There weren't really that many meaningless games that season. The Oilers were only logically out of the playoff picture with 7-8 games left in the season.

He did score 6 of his 14 goals in the last 3 games, but even if you eliminate that, he was still at a ~50 point pace on the season. Which is right up there with Huberdeau for the rookie lead (Huberdeau played for the worst team in the league that year, so the "meaningless" games thing should apply to him too, no?).

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Who are Brent Burns' and Brent Seabrook's agents, I wonder.

And can we tie them to Gregor's show.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
There weren't really that many meaningless games that season. The Oilers were only logically out of the playoff picture with 7-8 games left in the season.

He did score 6 of his 14 goals in the last 3 games, but even if you eliminate that, he was still at a ~50 point pace on the season. Which is right up there with Huberdeau for the rookie lead (Huberdeau played for the worst team in the league that year, so the "meaningless" games thing should apply to him too, no?).

These games included games against teams like Minnesota. The Wild was in a battle for the last playoff spot. Really the only meaningless game in that stretch was the last one. And Huberdeau also had three points in his last game which was against Tampa.

Yak had 19 of his 31 points vs teams that ended up in the playoffs. Huberdeau had 9 points against playoff bound teams. Yak had points in 25 of 48 games and Huberdeau had points in 20.

Yak's streak down the stretch started with the Oilers in 8th place. He played very well even as others faded. With Nuge out and Eberle with a bad hand Yak and Hall pretty much carried the team.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
http://oilersnation.com/2015/6/1/monday-musings-brent-seabrook

My sources told me that Seabrook would have no problem coming to Edmonton. The Oilers are a much more attractive location now with Bob Nicholson, Peter Chiarelli and Todd McLellan running the hockey operations as well as a roster filled with young skilled players.

I honestly don't see the incentive for the Hawks to deal him however.

They're back in the Finals, which means a Toews-Kane-Keith-Seabrook core is basically money no matter what.

They'll simply just dump Sharp and probably Bickell, and they'll be able to find takers for both.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

They're back in the Finals, which means a Toews-Kane-Keith-Seabrook core is basically money no matter what.

They'll simply just dump Sharp and probably Bickell, and they'll be able to find takers for both.

I'd have to look, but could they just get away with dumping Bickell and Oduya this year? Sharp appears to be money again, although they could probably get decent pieces for him.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

Yes, and they will want to do that, but their cap hell goes beyond just those deals, as they have a bunch of RFA's as well.

If the Oilers put together an attractive offer (lets say #16, Schultz and Marincin) for Seabrook (as-is), Bickell and Versteeg, that might be interesting for the Hawks to consider.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Hypothetically CHI gives teams a chance to negotiate an extension with Seabrook, then what does his value become?

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
I'd have to look, but could they just get away with dumping Bickell and Oduya this year? Sharp appears to be money again, although they could probably get decent pieces for him.

Oduya is a UFA I believe

trade PIT 1st + defensive prospect to CHI for Seabrook

sign Obuya for a 4-year 4.5 mil contract

boom...much better defense

Oduya-Seabrook
Klefbom-Fayne
Ference-Schultz
Nikitin

yes, Oduya is 31 now but he's a great player and is worth for the 1st two years of that deal
and it keeps Nurse in the AHL

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Yes, and they will want to do that, but their cap hell goes beyond just those deals, as they have a bunch of RFA's as well.

If the Oilers put together an attractive offer (lets say #16, Schultz and Marincin) for Seabrook (as-is), Bickell and Versteeg, that might be interesting for the Hawks to consider.

Why are we taking on two more wingers without moving any?

Pou RNH Ebs
Hall McD Yak
Bickell Roy/Drai Versteeg
Kink Gordon Hendricks
Purcell, Lander, Roy/Drai, Pakarainen, Pitlick, Gazdic

Klefbom Seabrook
Ference Fayne
Nikitin Nurse?
Aulie, and who knows what.

I don't see how we can afford to trade 2 NHL D men for one. Plus adding additional wingers (even though better) isn't a wise spend of assets. I'd simplify:

Seabrook (as is), Bickell for 1st, Marincin & Pitlick/Pakarainen, 3rd

Gets them solidly out of cap trouble, and a collection of decent picks in a deep draft plus NHL ready replacements whom they are more likely to get mileage out of (when surrounded by vets) than we are.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
At this point, Chicago has approximately $64M committed to next season, assuming the cap comes in at $71.5M, that leaves $7.5M available to fill 5 forward spots and 4 D spots. They're going to have to make some moves to fit in under the cap; although I would assume they'll try hard to move Bickell or Sharp before moving Seabrook.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
If I am CHI GM I would rather let Saad walk for free than trade Seabrook for picks.

Moving Seabs should not be an option but if they do it would take a lot more than 1st + prospect for it.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Why are we taking on two more wingers without moving any?

Pou RNH Ebs
Hall McD Yak
Bickell Roy/Drai Versteeg
Kink Gordon Hendricks
Purcell, Lander, Roy/Drai, Pakarainen, Pitlick, Gazdic

Klefbom Seabrook
Ference Fayne
Nikitin Nurse?
Aulie, and who knows what.

I don't see how we can afford to trade 2 NHL D men for one. Plus adding additional wingers (even though better) isn't a wise spend of assets. I'd simplify:

Seabrook (as is), Bickell for 1st, Marincin & Pitlick/Pakarainen, 3rd

Gets them solidly out of cap trouble, and a collection of decent picks in a deep draft plus NHL ready replacements whom they are more likely to get mileage out of (when surrounded by vets) than we are.

So I look at the team differently. I think Pakarinen could be a player on the team, I don't see Pitlick here next year.

Everything I do with this team in the offseason assumes that Purcell will not be in Edmonton next season.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Can't edit, arg...Anyway, I also don't see Nikitin here next season either.

I think there could be a situation where each are traded with something and a small retention.

So, let me explain how much team would look after a trade of 16th overall, Schultz and Maricin for Seabrook, Versteeg and Bickell

Hall - McDavid - Eberle
Pouliot - Nuge - Yakupov
Versteeg - Lander - Bickell
Hendrick - Gordon - Klinkhammer
Gadzic/Pakarinen

Klefbom - Seabrook
*DTB* - Fayne
Ference - *TDB*
*DTB*

So there's still some things to fill up, but it's not impossible to build from that base. Maybe you sign Erhoff, McQuaid and Bartowski (#7), or lets some kids compete.

Eitherway, it's a much better team.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
At this point, Chicago has approximately $64M committed to next season, assuming the cap comes in at $71.5M, that leaves $7.5M available to fill 5 forward spots and 4 D spots. They're going to have to make some moves to fit in under the cap; although I would assume they'll try hard to move Bickell or Sharp before moving Seabrook.

Panarin will get one of the spots for 800K
Saad(RFA) will get another
The remaining 2 can be filled with Nordstrom and Kruger for cheap.

On D.. VanReimsdyk and Rundblad should be regular NHLers

it will be harsh but not impossoble esp if they can trade away Sharp

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
If I am CHI GM I would rather let Saad walk for free than trade Seabrook for picks.

Moving Seabs should not be an option but if they do it would take a lot more than 1st + prospect for it.

Good thing for Chicago you are not the GM.

High end/low salary Picks, Players, and Prospects are exactly what Chicago needs to combat their cap situation now and going forward.

Guys like Nurse, Leon, Klefbom, Marincin, or Yak and our 16th/33rd? overall plus a conditional first overall pick next year for signing... I don't think many/any other teams can offer what the Oilers could for Seabrook. No one that I know has even remotely suggested one 1st rounder 16th overall (even as good as this year is) plus a prospect like Musil is going to cut it.

I agree they will want to trade Seabrook least, but unless Seabrook agent has come out and told Chicago he is going to give them a hefty home town discount... there is no one better to move. Plus if Seabrook insists on a long term market value contract, I don't really see how Chicago can make that work going forward.

Seabrook easily gets 7 years + 7 mill per anywhere he wants. Probably 8 years 8 mill if he really pushes FA.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015

High end/low salary Picks, Players, and Prospects are exactly what Chicago needs to combat their cap situation now and going forward.

Guys like Nurse, Leon, Klefbom, Marincin, or Yak and our 16th/33rd? overall plus a conditional first overall pick next year for signing... I don't think many/any other teams can offer what the Oilers could for Seabrook. No one that I know has even remotely suggested one 1st rounder 16th overall (even as good as this year is) plus a prospect like Musil is going to cut it.

I agree they will want to trade Seabrook least, but unless Seabrook agent has come out and told Chicago he is going to give them a hefty home town discount... there is no one better to move. Plus if Seabrook insists on a long term market value contract, I don't really see how Chicago can make that work going forward.

Seabrook easily gets 7 years + 7 mill per anywhere he wants. Probably 8 years 8 mill if he really pushes FA.

That's an argument for not trading for Seabrook. Cost a boatload of assets to get and you only get him for a year before he starts to kill your cap (assuming he wants to stay).

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
Panarin will get one of the spots for 800K
Saad(RFA) will get another
The remaining 2 can be filled with Nordstrom and Kruger for cheap.

On D.. VanReimsdyk and Rundblad should be regular NHLers

it will be harsh but not impossoble esp if they can trade away Sharp

Will be interesting to see how much Saad will get on this next contract, I would suspect at least $2.0-2.5M AAV given his numbers.

Also a problem is that both Bickell & Sharp have some type of NMC/NTC I believe.

Regardless, it will be an interesting off-season.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013

The bolded is very different from Marincin + 1st that has been offered here and even then CHI is better off keeping 3 NHL Dmen over most of these prospects.
Teravainen and Panarin takes away the need for Draisaitl\Yakupov to CHI.

Bottom line is that with Seabrook on Hawks the Hawks are a cup contender.
Seabrook traded for Klefbom\Draisaitl\Yak + 1st + 1st and CHI are NOT a playoffs team.

Keith, Hjamer, Klefbom\Nurse, Rundblad, blah and blah doesnt beat out 8 other NHL teams even if Crawford has a career year.

CHI is better off trading Saad for a young Dman + pick than trading away Seabrook.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Will be interesting to see how much Saad will get on this next contract, I would suspect at least $2.0-2.5M AAV given his numbers.

Also a problem is that both Bickell & Sharp have some type of NMC/NTC I believe.

Regardless, it will be an interesting off-season.

If it's only a NTC you just threaten to waive them

sportsdynasty

Mar 31, 2011
www.nhltraderumors.me
Because he sucks as a defenceman...

What he generally brings is toughness but, for that price, I`d rather get someone cheaper or who can actually play defence.

Byfuglien would be the Oilers best defenceman if we got him. For a good portion of the season, he was Winnipeg's best D.

The Oilers desperately need a D like Byfuglien or Burns.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
Byfuglien would be the Oilers best defenceman if we got him. For a good portion of the season, he was Winnipeg's best D.

I'm shocked people think Buff is no good as a D. His play in that position was pretty much the reason they were even in the playoffs.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Hypothetically CHI gives teams a chance to negotiate an extension with Seabrook, then what does his value become?

From the article....

Two different sources told me if he leaves the Hawks, he and and his agent will be looking for a seven or eight year (if he gets traded before next summer) contract close to $8 million/year. That means he'd be 31 years of age when he new contract kicks in, and the main question is how many more elite years will he have left?

This makes Seabrook a no go for the Blackhawks (scary cap issues moving forward) and the Oilers (the timing doesn't work) IMO.

As much as I like Seabrook there is no way I would pay him $8M at 36, 37 and 38 years old. Hell even a 35 year old Seabrook is not going to be as effective.
That matters because the Oilers are a minimum of 3-4 years away from being a legit Stanley Cup contender.
Bad value IMO and I am one of Seabrooks biggest supporters.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

Burns is a much better option than Byfugulien IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad