Can Tavares and Ladd still work out?

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
Ladd was brought in to finally give Tavares a decent winger to play with. So far both Tavares and Ladd are off to the worst starts in their careers. No points for Ladd and only 1+1 for Tavares. And they've only scored 1 goal on 29 shots combined. On the plus side they have basically only faced good teams so far, with Phoenix being the worst.

Might Tavares and Ladd still find that chemistry? Or is this the first sign of bad things to come? And if it doesn't work out, what do you do with Ladd?

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Ladd was brought in to finally give Tavares a decent winger to play with. So far both Tavares and Ladd are off to the worst starts in their careers. No points for Ladd and only 1+1 for Tavares. And they've only scored 1 goal on 29 shots combined. On the plus side they have basically only faced good teams so far, with Phoenix being the worst.

Might Tavares and Ladd still find that chemistry? Or is this the first sign of bad things to come? And if it doesn't work out, what do you do with Ladd?

Tavares had Okposo who imo is better.

Give it a few more games. 1 goal on 29 shots is quite low

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
As a Jet fan and someone who paid very close attention to Ladd in his final season here. All I can say is that if my team had Tavares, I wouldn't want to bring Ladd in as the " decent winger to play with" him. Okposo was probably the better option there. I'm pretty sure Ladd is off the cliff so to speak. He looked it in his last season here. The guy was great for us but he lost a significant step in his last season with the Jets. Can't attest to how he looked all the time with the Hawks but in the playoffs he looked about the same.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

He's 31 in a month and a half and plays a style that will have him wind down in a year or two. I am not sure what made the Isles pour their funds into Ladd and not even negotiate with Okposo at all.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
He's 31 in a month and a half and plays a style that will have him wind down in a year or two. I am not sure what made the Isles pour their funds into Ladd and not even negotiate with Okposo at all.

I think it's partially due to the other wingers they let go. PAP was waiver fodder a few years after, and Moulson doesn't even look like he belongs in the NHL. Both played with Tavares and had career highs, PAP (67 pts) and Moulson (69 pts). I think they figured it would work the opposite with Ladd, where he would go from a 50-60 pt player to 70+ pts.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Okposo is a better offensive player than Ladd, so I'm not sure why anyone was expecting Ladd to be the winger that Tavares has always been looking for. Can they look good together? Sure. Will Tavares somehow explode and take his game to another level because of Ladd? I sincerely doubt it. Nothing wrong with that though, Tavares is an incredible player already. Ladd is still a good player, but he never was a star player and he's not going to be getting any better than he was in the past (quite the opposite likely).

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
As a Jet fan and someone who paid very close attention to Ladd in his final season here. All I can say is that if my team had Tavares, I wouldn't want to bring Ladd in as the " decent winger to play with" him. Okposo was probably the better option there. I'm pretty sure Ladd is off the cliff so to speak. He looked it in his last season here. The guy was great for us but he lost a significant step in his last season with the Jets. Can't attest to how he looked all the time with the Hawks but in the playoffs he looked about the same.

So Ladd is over the hill then? Can he still be useful in the bottom six, or will the Islanders have to buy him out in the long run? I'm seriously starting to question the decision making process when it comes to the Islanders. All these deals and trades that they've made over the years don't seem to have benefited Tavares at all...

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
So Ladd is over the hill then? Can he still be useful in the bottom six, or will the Islanders have to buy him out in the long run? I'm seriously starting to question the decision making process when it comes to the Islanders. All these deals and trades that they've made over the years don't seem to have benefited Tavares at all...

I think he can be a decent 2nd liner in a pinch but probably a more effective 3rd liner/net front presence at this time. Tavares needs guys who can set up off the rush. He's an elite playmaker/scorer and needs a winger than can be the compliment to that skillset. Someone like Kane/Panarin/Drouin would be better suited to Tavares IMO. Ladd is probably more of a forechecking, net front, complimentary presence at this point in his career

luki here

Jan 30, 2011
Vienna
I think he can be a decent 2nd liner in a pinch but probably a more effective 3rd liner/net front presence at this time. Tavares needs guys who can set up off the rush. He's an elite playmaker/scorer and needs a winger than can be the compliment to that skillset. Someone like Kane/Panarin/Drouin would be better suited to Tavares IMO. Ladd is probably more of a forechecking, net front, complimentary presence at this point in his career

So when are Kane/Panarin/Drouin becoming available? Ladd is better suited to tavares style than okposo, these others werent available.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
So when are Kane/Panarin/Drouin becoming available? Ladd is better suited to tavares style than okposo, these others werent available.

It's not necessarily those three, but you let go a younger, better winger to sign Ladd. I just don't get why.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

I beg to differ given Ladd's production. Okposo could at least somewhat create off the rush. Ladd is probably already your teams pizza delivery guy off the rush.
The truth is the best guy for Tavares is probably Ho-Sang. Kid can create. Tavares needs him. Maybe even Barzal if you put him on Tavares wing. Ladd is not the answer here though trust me on that. They won't find chemistry.

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg

I hope it doesn't sound like I'm bashing the Isles, but I feel like Tavares has been wasting his years away there similar to Nash in Columbus. A bubble/playoff team for years that just couldn't seem to find the pieces to build around him (Nino+Reinhart didn't work out). I've not heard too many good things about MDC, although Barzal, Beauviller, and Bellows all seemed like good picks they are probably not ready for another year or more. Thing is, Tavares just turned 26 and seemed like a bit of a late bloomer given the expectations of him coming into the NHL. How many years of his prime does he have left? I feel bad for the guy, and now he's got Andrew Ladd who hasn't looked his best since before his sports hernia back during the year the Jets made the playoffs. We had hopes the off season surgery was going to help him get back to form, but he played awful for us last season making the decision to trade him instead of Byfuglien much easier for our GM. I dunno, it's like Iginla back in Calgary having Craig Conroy as his centerman for so many of his elite years when guys like Ovechkin have spent the majority of his career with Backstrom, or Stamkos and MSL, or Crosby and Malkin/Letang on the pp's at least.

Gets me thinking what a team like the Isles could fetch for a prime Tavares at this point in his career. He's got two seasons of 5.5M cap hit (M-NTC, NMC) before he hits UFA, does he test the market? I've not heard one way or the other or any rumblings on the subject, but if he's looking could the Isles acquire enough in return to boost their franchise towards contending? What could a team like the Kings afford to give up for Tavares? I'd assume with the M-NTC/NMC that he'd only waive for a contender, which given his 5.5M cap hit wouldn't be as hard to fit in. What about to the Ducks for Lindholm+? At this point I'm just rambling at 5 a.m. so don't kill me pls.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I hope it doesn't sound like I'm bashing the Isles, but I feel like Tavares has been wasting his years away there similar to Nash in Columbus. A bubble/playoff team for years that just couldn't seem to find the pieces to build around him (Nino+Reinhart didn't work out). I've not heard too many good things about MDC, although Barzal, Beauviller, and Bellows all seemed like good picks they are probably not ready for another year or more. Thing is, Tavares just turned 26 and seemed like a bit of a late bloomer given the expectations of him coming into the NHL. How many years of his prime does he have left? I feel bad for the guy, and now he's got Andrew Ladd who hasn't looked his best since before his sports hernia back during the year the Jets made the playoffs. We had hopes the off season surgery was going to help him get back to form, but he played awful for us last season making the decision to trade him instead of Byfuglien much easier for our GM. I dunno, it's like Iginla back in Calgary having Craig Conroy as his centerman for so many of his elite years when guys like Ovechkin have spent the majority of his career with Backstrom, or Stamkos and MSL, or Crosby and Malkin/Letang on the pp's at least.

Gets me thinking what a team like the Isles could fetch for a prime Tavares at this point in his career. He's got two seasons of 5.5M cap hit (M-NTC, NMC) before he hits UFA, does he test the market? I've not heard one way or the other or any rumblings on the subject, but if he's looking could the Isles acquire enough in return to boost their franchise towards contending? What could a team like the Kings afford to give up for Tavares? I'd assume with the M-NTC/NMC that he'd only waive for a contender, which given his 5.5M cap hit wouldn't be as hard to fit in. What about to the Ducks for Lindholm+? At this point I'm just rambling at 5 a.m. so don't kill me pls.

I don't think the answer is for the Isles to deal Tavares. I thinkwhat Tavares needs is a 2nd line center and #1 Dman. They have Sorokin waiting in the wings who might be this generations next best goaltender.

Nelson is developing. They have Barzal as well. Ho-Sang could be a dark horse. I've always liked the Isles so I pay attention to their situation. Ladd is bad news, he's a bad contract and I fear it will cost them a decent prospect to get rid of in a few years.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Ladd had sports hernia surgery the summer of 2015. His style of play typically has a sharper drop off versus those who play a more finesse style, and those who suffer a sports hernia typically fall off the cliff at a greater rate.

http://www.arcticicehockey.com/2016...-hernia-recovery-could-be-hurting-andrew-ladd

There's an article about it. That reason alone is why I'm much happier paying 7.5 million over five seasons for Dustin Byfuglien than 5.5 million a year for seven seasons of Andrew Ladd.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Okposo was a disaster defensively and as far as being smart. He would over stay shifts, make bad passes, and also have tunnel vision issues where he would pass up wide open guys and take horrible shots. I honestly don't think either option was correct for the Isles, re-signing Okposo or signing Ladd.

GOAT AINEC

Soon..
Jun 4, 2014
Ladd isn't a first line winger anymore.

Islanders had a pretty awful offseason.. Bringing in over the hill guys like Ladd and Chimera to try to replace all the guys that left.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
Sure it could work out, plenty of time. That said, you're only building your expections up to be let down if you expect FA player x to be brought in to specifically play on a line with player y. It's basically a shot in the dark to try and determine which players will click on the same line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad