Speculation: Can Stu win he Calder?

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site

Matt Murray went 32-10-4 with 2.41 GAA and .923 save percentage in his rookie season and only finished 4th, so I'm doubtful he wins, but could make the nomination cut off. That said, Murray had tougher competition with Matthews (40 goals), Laine (36 goals) and Werenski (47 points as a rookie dman)

He should be the Calder winner but the noise has been all Beniers all season, especially with the severely out of touch US based eastern hockey media who believe everything in Edmonton is tainted because of the so called McDavid effect.

It would be funny if this factored in considering everyone likes to say McDavid is trash defensively, but now he's the reason a rookie goalie is having a good year.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
Matt Murray went 32-10-4 with 2.41 GAA and .923 save percentage in his rookie season and only finished 4th, so I'm doubtful he wins, but could make the nomination cut off. That said, Murray had tougher competition with Matthews (40 goals), Laine (36 goals) and Werenski (47 points as a rookie dman)

It would be funny if this factored in considering everyone likes to say McDavid is trash defensively, but now he's the reason a rookie goalie is having a good year.
Seravali said Skinner is getting his vote so it will be interesting I see how many others feel the same.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I think he should be in the conversation, but historically, goalies get very little respect in this type of voting.

Reactions: subnet

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
He probably should be in the conversation if only because the rookie class this year is so pedestrian. His numbers don’t really jump out as Calder worthy in other years.

It seems like it’s been Matty Berniers predestined to win it the whole year though regardless of if he deserves it or not.

Reactions: nabob

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Seravali said Skinner is getting his vote so it will be interesting I see how many others feel the same.

Media group think might work in our favour this time. Usually it takes one establishment media guy to declare his vote and the rest go along.

Reactions: Heavy Dee

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I believe media writes vote on the trophy.

I think Skinner should be in consideration. Berniers has been good but not really anything special. But fact that no one in the media has overly talked about him, I cant see him winning (but Seravelli has mentioned him so who knows). Probably be a finalist though.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
He probably should be in the conversation if only because the rookie class this year is so pedestrian. His numbers don’t really jump out as Calder worthy in other years.

It seems like it’s been Matty Berniers predestined to win it the whole year though regardless of if he deserves it or not.

It's an interesting year. The last two goalie Calder winners were Steve Mason and Andrew Raycroft and they did so with much better stats than Stu's.

However, this year is the highest scoring season since 1993-94 with many 100 point scorers yet, the best scoring rookie this year wouldn't have been top 3 in most of the recent years, and the fact that scoring is up so much may help Stu's case when comparing to past Calder winning goalies (Brodeur was 27-11-8 and .915 in that aforementioned 93-94 season in winning the Calder)

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
If the Oilers go perfect, and Skinner gets all the starts, he will have 29 wins on the year, 14 of which came in March and April.

If that's not calder worthy, I don't know what is.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Skinner has been more impressive than Beniers. The month Skinner pulled off blows anything Beniers has done all season. Skinner also might end up with 30 wins. You can't present the calder to a rookie with less than 60 points over a rookie goaltender who took over the starting role and will play an important role on a team looking to win the cup.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Bah! Beniers is just a function of Eberle! :cool:
Eberle.... pumps up Barzal's value before being found expendable (Barzal settles down a little)
Eberle.... now pumping up Benier's value. He sure likes playing with young Matthew's.

Maybe he wasn't the best option to move out after all. (Granted Ebs away from Beniers isn't that great either).

He seems to be the perfect complementary player to other good players. Even though I couldn't see how the cap could work but picture him as the 6th forward on this team playing the right side (only $2.4 more than KYs cap hit).

1680805611273.png

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Too bad Skinner won't hit the 30 win mark with only 3 games left. He should make the final 3 list for sure..

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
It's a good year for him to win it. He's been great, and there hasn't been any obvious choices for the Calder.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Good to see that the board is finally recognizing Skinner for what he has done this year.

Many of the posts on here the last 3 months clearly didnt factor in the reality that Skinner is a rookie.

I personally dont care if he wins the Calder or not. As this team approaches game 83 I just want him to continue to build on what he has accomplished so far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad