Can someone please explain the new draft lottery to me?

• Thread starter Comic Book Guy*
  • Start date

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Well I like it, it'll prevent the pro-tanking teams from outright sucking and as a reward getting a franchise player

Agreed. The worst team will still have the best chance in the lottery as well. It just won't be a sure thing anymore, which will help prevent teams from tanking on purpose.

Bps21*

They have also been guaranteed being on all the NTCs and not getting top UFAs to take their overpayment or veterans to take paycuts to play there like they do contenders (most of whom are contending because they drafted high).

So yes...good thing they changed the lottery even more. It is the thing that isn't fair in the way the league runs.

Gary Batman

Aug 4, 2014
No more "jump 4 spots" now. If you win lottery, you pick first. And the team between you and first pick all slide down 1 spot.

So, Buffalo has 20% chance of McDavid, and 80% chance of Eichel.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Well I like it, it'll prevent the pro-tanking teams from outright sucking and as a reward getting a franchise player

It is good to limit the rewards of tanking, but imo this lottery system won't limit the act of tanking whatsoever. Teams with no hope will still gut their teams, and they'll be as bad as possible in order to maximize their odds at getting someone who can make a difference.

Jeremy2020

Dec 27, 2005
Austin, TX
It is good to limit the rewards of tanking, but imo this lottery system won't limit the act of tanking whatsoever. Teams with no hope will still gut their teams, and they'll be as bad as possible in order to maximize their odds at getting someone who can make a difference.

The only effect I see it having is that teams will covet mid round 1st picks more. So when they gut the team, they'll want those 1sts.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
2016 - 3 lottery picks for #1, #2, & #3, worst team can drop to #4.
Please correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that the same system the NBA uses? If it is I believe the last team to finish with the worst overall record was the Orlando Magic and that was for the 2004 draft. Ever since then the team who finished 30th overall has not won the 1st overall pick.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Please correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that the same system the NBA uses? If it is I believe the last team to finish with the worst overall record was the Orlando Magic and that was for the 2004 draft. Ever since then the team who finished 30th overall has not won the 1st overall pick.

Yeah, but the last four seasons in the NBA the worst team has ended up with the 2nd overall pick. Not that different from the recent NHL lotteries.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Soooo, that could also end like this -

The next Stanley Cup winner will make a trade on the deadline and they take a 1th round pick. To some team, who will miss playoff. The lottery will then make this pick as a winner. :yo: :yo: :yo: Stanley Cup and 1th overall pick. What could be better?

Or the Blackhawks, Pens, Blues, Red Wings ... will make such a trade.

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
Why not just let every team have an equal chance at 1st overall. Then seed 2-30 on end of year standings. Have Bettman announce who the 1st goes to at the draft and they have 5 minutes on the clock. Makes for much more drama and eliminates tanking for the 1st pick.

ADifferentTim

Knowledgeable & Pure
Dec 18, 2013
LACo/IE; SoCal
This new upcoming draft format impresses me, especially when it forces all NHL teams to care more about the on-ice product by lifting guarantees of a purposely losing team the #1 overall pick.

I'll ask this just for the fun of it:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad