Can or will Sullivan be fired?

What would it take for Sullivan to get fired?

• Another 2-5 game skid (2023)

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • 6-10 game skid (2023)

Votes: 7 8.3%
  • 11-15 game skid (2023)

Votes: 10 11.9%
  • 16+ straight losses

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • 2-5 game skid (2024) w/significant standings impact

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • 6-10 game skid (2024) - likely automatically out of playoff picture

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • 11+ game skid (2024) - likely automatically out of playoff picture

Votes: 7 8.3%
  • DUI / Domestic Abuse / Other major off-ice incident

Votes: 22 26.2%
  • Sullivan can't be fired and will remain the coach for the remainder of his contract

Votes: 38 45.2%
  • Another loss in the first round (lol) 2024

Votes: 5 6.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I don’t see how this roster is as bad as you want to make it.

Rangers are winning with many bad contracts and older players. And Shesterkin has been mediocre.

Islanders are winning with many bad contracts and older players.
I don't think the Rangers are the best comparison because their best players are largely still in their primes. I know Sullivan etc etc but if we had a 26 year old Sidney Crosby right now we're not 3-6. We're just not.

But there's certainly no excuse for us to be worse than the Islanders or Flyers. We should be competing for the last playoff spot at worst, and we're not.

Sullivan should be axed asap. But Dubas is going to wait too long to do it.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I know you don't, because you're psychotically obsessed with this idea that Mike Sullivan is somehow an all powerful, nefarious monster as opposed to just your average shitty NHL coach with his head stuck up his own ass and an obsession with vets who play no-event hockey.

It never crosses your mind how things have gotten to this point, it's just Sully. "Hey maybe the thought process behind targeting then spending assets on a useless loser like Reaves was garbage" or "consistently spending 1st liner prices for 3rd liners sucks" or "the FO and scouting group that targeted JJ and locked into a 5 year deal was an all-world awful move" or "trading for a $5 million paperweight signed for years with Granlund was f***ing awful" or "what a waste of time and attention to shuffle the blueline around to absolutely zero effect". It's always just simply Sullivan's fault. Because that's easier than realizing this team's been too full of an arrogance and rot for years to actually reflect on things and make proactive changes. :laugh: You once tried to tell me Hextall was basically the perfect GM for this team, and gave me shit for saying the 2nd year of Carter's deal was awful and gonna bite them in the ass.

It ain't just Sullivan, despite what you desperately want, man. He's absolutely a coach years beyond his expiration at this point, and has had nothing but praise and positive reinforcement heaped upon him because he happened to be in the right place at the right time which lead to two back to back Cups. It's been a combined effort from essentially all the decision makers in this organization, past as well as present, since 2017.

I know you'll take my post as some sort of defense of Sullivan even though I've been saying he's a fraud and should be fired for years, because anything short of a foaming at the mouth hatred for the dude is spun and construed into defending and siding with him, but that's fine. Sullivan should've been gone years ago, but he's just one of a few key pieces in the process of torpedoing this team for many years. /shrug

Teams make bad trades and bleed out depth every year.

Only our team seems to constantly shift in players, have them come in hot then suck for years, get traded and then get back to their previous performance.

Reaves is a perfect example. Vegas made the cup with him playing a regular role immediately after we traded him.

I don't think the Rangers are the best comparison because their best players are largely still in their primes. I know Sullivan etc etc but if we had a 26 year old Sidney Crosby right now we're not 3-6. We're just not.

But there's certainly no excuse for us to be worse than the Islanders or Flyers. We should be competing for the last playoff spot at worst, and we're not.

Sullivan should be axed asap. But Dubas is going to wait too long to do it.

Rangers best players outside of Fox and Shesterkin are all old.

That’s a benefit. But not 8 points ahead of us in 9 games benefit.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Lol…the answers are no and no…he’s a brilliant hockey savant!

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Right but I think the issue is is that just solely a function of us not having players with great shots, or something else (like not getting screens, to the net, being a north-south focused team without much physicality at the net)? It’s a combo of both imo but there’s a strong argument that it’s the system and players who don’t fit it…you should look at the same Canucks players from last season…guarantee their shooting % wasn’t particularly good…there’s a lot to be said for finding a system that fits the players you have, over and above talent
1698864040779.png

I mean it's early, so of course what they're doing this season isn't sustainable, but the Canucks were still a great shooting team last year.
6 guys over 14%. We had 1.
They were 3rd in GFAx. They are #1 right now.
Everything else was the problem. PK was 32nd. Chance generation was crap. Goaltending was dogshit. Team defense was 25th.

I watched Nucks vs Preds yesterday. What stands out is how much more shot power they have on the roster, and how much more resolute they are in front of goal. Pettersson's first 2 goals were either due to a screen, power, placement and/or deceptive release. His 3rd was a ENG. Miller crashed the net and banged in a rebound. Lafferty crashed the net and got a lucky bounce off his helmet.
It's shooting talent combined with a willingness to do what's necessary to score, throughout the Forward group.

With their blue line upgrades, they have a pretty good shot at playoffs if Demko's healthy and reliable. The offense will provide, especially if the improved team defense gets the puck into the hands of the Forwards more.

Rangers are also yet another team that has replaced their coach and is thriving.

Meanwhile in Pittsburgh...
True, but they have a stronger roster than us as well, especially in terms of defensive ability and goaltending.

Reactions: Andy99

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Well that’s my large point.
I know. I just think this roster would be Sully proof if one of Sid or Geno was Adam Fox's age.

Heck the Rangers won plenty under Gallant even though he made tons of bad decisions.

The problem for us now is our roster is no longer good enough to survive inadequate coaching. I think it would take a truly bad coach to make the Rangers/Devils/Canes non playoff teams. Their rosters are just too good still. But us? We're a team that needs the right coach to win.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I know. I just think this roster would be Sully proof if one of Sid or Geno was Adam Fox's age.

Heck the Rangers won plenty under Gallant even though he made tons of bad decisions.

The problem for us now is our roster is no longer good enough to survive inadequate coaching. I think it would take a truly bad coach to make the Rangers/Devils/Canes non playoff teams. Their rosters are just too good still. But us? We're a team that needs the right coach to win.
Yeah, but he's also so bad at this point that they need a coach that doesn't make them lose.

Remember back in the day we'd get sid and geno on the same line, or switch up lines in a game if things weren't working? What the heck happened to any of that....
Outside of two years of sullivan I haven't enjoyed watching this penguins team after it was sullied.

Reactions: Pancakes

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Yeah, but he's also so bad at this point that they need a coach that doesn't make them lose.

Remember back in the day we'd get sid and geno on the same line, or switch up lines in a game if things weren't working? What the heck happened to any of that....
Outside of two years of sullivan I haven't enjoyed watching this penguins team after it was sullied.
What happened to that? Well, they got old, like we all do. Sad, but it happens.

They're still playing very well, but they can't singlehandedly hulk us into a playoff spot any more. They need a coach making the right decisions around them.

Hell, they kinda needed that even when they aged into their late 20s. We all saw what a disaster this team was under Mike Johnston.

The time for Sid and Geno to make us win no matter what the coach does was when they were 18-26 or so.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Teams make bad trades and bleed out depth every year.

Only our team seems to constantly shift in players, have them come in hot then suck for years, get traded and then get back to their previous performance.

Reaves is a perfect example. Vegas made the cup with him playing a regular role immediately after we traded him.

Rangers best players outside of Fox and Shesterkin are all old.
Yeah, Reaves was definitely a big reason why Vegas made the Finals. Just like Maroon, and Schenn were for Tampa. Hey, even JJ was on Colorado's blueline when they won. :laugh: C;mon dude. Trash players wind up on winning teams all the time. Doesn't mean shit.

That's it, pretty much. The supporting cast and coaching aren't good enough, in combination with what age has done taking Sid/Geno from 110pt players to PPG guys. /shrug

We all hate Sullivan. Well, most of us. He should definitely be fired, and years ago imo. But this team's not a coaching change away from a miraculous turnaround like in years past, and they don't have the time it'll take to perform major surgery anymore. Again, fire Sullivan because he's a f***ing annoying schmuck who has the team playing a wannabe structured brand of boring ass hockey. But don't (not you specifically, in general) be under the delusion that it'll vault this team up the standings. At the very most, this team's a WC type, 1st round sacrifice until Sid gets sick of this shit and retires in another year and a half. /shrug

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Yeah, Reaves was definitely a big reason why Vegas made the Finals. Just like Maroon, and Schenn were for Tampa. Hey, even JJ was on Colorado's blueline when they won. :laugh: C;mon dude. Trash players wind up on winning teams all the time. Doesn't mean shit.

That's it, pretty much. The supporting cast and coaching aren't good enough, in combination with what age has done taking Sid/Geno from 110pt players to PPG guys. /shrug

We all hate Sullivan. Well, most of us. He should definitely be fired, and years ago imo. But this team's not a coaching change away from a miraculous turnaround like in years past, and they don't have the time it'll take to perform major surgery anymore. Again, fire Sullivan because he's a f***ing annoying schmuck who has the team playing a wannabe structured brand of boring ass hockey. But don't (not you specifically, in general) be under the delusion that it'll vault this team up the standings. At the very most, this team's a WC type, 1st round sacrifice until Sid gets sick of this shit and retires in another year and a half. /shrug

My argument isn’t that Reaves was a major contributor. My argument is the coaching staff figured out a role for him.

And JJ is also a perfect example. Sullivan overused and couldn’t utilize him accurately and CO could.

Josey Wales

May 16, 2022
Why talk about anything hockey related then? None of us have any input on the decisions that Dubas or FSG will make. Might as well close down Hf Penguins board
The same people are bitching & moaning in all different threads Good God if you life is that free of problems & issues that you take time to post worthless drivel you are a lucky human being

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
What happened to that? Well, they got old, like we all do. Sad, but it happens.

They're still playing very well, but they can't singlehandedly hulk us into a playoff spot any more. They need a coach making the right decisions around them.

Hell, they kinda needed that even when they aged into their late 20s. We all saw what a disaster this team was under Mike Johnston.

The time for Sid and Geno to make us win no matter what the coach does was when they were 18-26 or so.
I'd say they didn't really hulk them into the playoffs back then, either. They have regressed over the last decade. That's why them being a PPG player doesn't really tell the whole story.

Imagine if JR didn't trade and sign all he did. They needed help Sid was 28/29 for those cups and only a couple years removed of his horrific run of injuries. It also coincides with his regression on the stat sheet. His days of 1.64 or 1.39 were starting to slip away a long time ago.

Reactions: Pancakes

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I think it comes down to finances. Sullivan is guaranteed the money in his contract even if they fire him.

But what would make FSG more money/lose less? And you've got to factor in likelihood.

1. Keep Sullivan and miss the playoffs.
2. Get rid of Sullivan, get a new coach, and still miss the playoffs.
3. Get rid of Sullivan, get a new coach, and make the playoffs.
4. Keep Sullivan and make the playoffs.

I'm sure those nerds in the front office have numbers and probabilities for this.

Reactions: vodeni

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I don't think they stand to gain much money playing two or three home games in the 1st round. And I don't think Sully would be out of a job for more than a month if he wanted to keep coaching, someone would hire him, but I doubt FSG rolls the dice on the like $30 million he's owed or whatever that he'd just chill with his family and take some cushy gig as an expert on ESPN or TNT or something.

Slaaapshuter

May 10, 2015
I don't think they stand to gain much money playing two or three home games in the 1st round. And I don't think Sully would be out of a job for more than a month if he wanted to keep coaching, someone would hire him, but I doubt FSG rolls the dice on the like $30 million he's owed or whatever that he'd just chill with his family and take some cushy gig as an expert on ESPN or TNT or something.

Pittsburgh are on the hook for the full amount of Sullivans contract*, regardless if he takes another coaching job in the NHL or deicdes to open up a Kebab wagon.

* Technically someone can take over much of the Pens payments to Sullivan since they decide if other teams can talk to him while he is under contract.

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Why are people posting on this, You have No power at all, we all have no power at all, we aren't a pimple on Sullivan's Ass or Dubas for that matter
Why indeed, guy who screams jibberish. Why indeed?
Pittsburgh are on the hook for the full amount of Sullivans contract*, regardless if he takes another coaching job in the NHL or deicdes to open up a Kebab wagon.

* Technically someone can take over much of the Pens payments to Sullivan since they decide if other teams can talk to him while he is under contract.
Yeah, that extension and the Carter contract are just insane pieces of management malpractice. It's honestly kind of impressive.

Regarding the money lost though, this start has been so slow that missing the playoffs might be the only option available soon. I firmly believe FSG is just going to try to let him couch out the remainder of the contract, but it is a 100% an own goal and should be held up as an example of why you don't do these things.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019

If that's true, then Sully's chances of being fired went from like 1% to a full 0%. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad