Can MLB save itself from oblivion?

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
2. The shift

3. Teams starting relievers(Tampa) This trend will spread since Tampa started doing this they have MLB's best ERA

4. No stolen bases(too risky)

5. No sacrifice bunts(not worth giving up outs according to sabermetrics)

6. Home run/strikeout/walk are the 3 true outcomes with sabermetrics.

People were never interested to begin with if these turned them off to baseball.

Deleted member 23124

I think sabermetrics/steroid testing are the biggest issue other than this years early bad weather. I think they turn some casual fans off. Look at all the new things caused by sabermetrics.

1. Tanking. It's hard to explain to a casual fan who takes it season to season and don't see the big picture why you are trading a good player from a 75 win team that may only have a year or 2 of good production left.

2. The shift

3. Teams starting relievers(Tampa) This trend will spread since Tampa started doing this they have MLB's best ERA

4. No stolen bases(too risky)

5. No sacrifice bunts(not worth giving up outs according to sabermetrics)

6. Home run/strikeout/walk are the 3 true outcomes with sabermetrics.

The steroid testing leads to tanking since it becomes a contest on who can get the most good young players. Also the steroid testing leads to a lack of star power. Most players began their decline in their 30's with testing meaning players fade away fast. This kills excitement and makes players disposable. Look at all the talk in the NBA about where 33 year old Lebron James would sign. In baseball most fans/teams would be horrified of signing a 33 year old free agent(for good reason). With signing free agents now a bad thing mostly this kills the hot stove talk during winter thus less winter ticket sales. Look how last winter free agents didn't sign until spring training. There was no baseball talk all winter. Compare that to the last few weeks of NBA news.
I heard a very interesting discussion on this subject between Ron Darling and Keith Hernandez and they pointed to Points 2 and 6 specifically. Darling suggested one solution to shifting would be to keep all the infielders on the infield rather than moving a player into the short field.

They cited #6 as one of the biggest factors....most of the things that made baseball interesting have pretty much been "managed" out of the game...Keith pointed out that a lot of today's players are trying for the long ball because they were taught striking out was not bad. That, of course, has caused a drop in players who put the ball in play -- anyone notice there's very little talk about players trying to hit .300. It's also led to a massive increase in the pitchers' K totals which have risen every year.

As you also mention, bunting is a lost art. (I was stunned recently to see an Indians player -- not a speedster -- take advantage of an infielder playing back and dropping a perfect bunt for a hit). Hit and runs are rare as well. Home runs and strikeouts are the norm....strategy seems to be dead.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
People were never interested to begin with if these turned them off to baseball.
You could say the same about fighting and the two line pass in hockey but the NHL got rid of those. I disagreed with it but they claim the game is faster. Like I said, the MLS is coming in hard and fast.

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
Maybe because I'm a Cubs fan... but I see a lot of strategy used in the game. That being said, I prefer the National league over the American League because of the increased strategy. As a fan of a team who is at a disadvantage of the shift, I actually like it. it's great to see the game evolve as it has. Hitters will need to adapt plain and simple, if they don't then that's on them. Just last night with the shift on and in extra innings Kyle Schwarber laid down a perfect 2 strike bunt and reached base safely. It was a thing of beauty :)

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Yup, this is true. I don't think MLS would ever pass MLB, but I could definitely see the argument for going to an MLS game instead of an MLB game. You know about how long the match will last, and the crowd experience looks a lot better.

The NFL and NBA are obviously the top two in the U.S..

I also think a huge part in the attendance plummeting is that people would much rather watch on television than pay outrageous prices for tickets/beer/food/souvenirs/parking. TVs keep getting better and better, while the cost to go to a game keeps going up. I personally hate going to sporting events.

an argument for going to an MLS game over an MLB game doesnt mean MLS is any kind of threat.

MLB 2017 revenue was 8.9 billion (299m per team)
MLS 2017 revenue was 0.9 billion (38m per team)

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
an argument for going to an MLS game over an MLB game doesnt mean MLS is any kind of threat.

MLB 2017 revenue was 8.9 billion (299m per team)
MLS 2017 revenue was 0.9 billion (38m per team)

I won't argue that point because it's true.

The MLS is expanding every year, it seems. I'm pretty sure attendance is well on the rise as well (I don't follow MLS for the most part, so someone correct me if I'm wrong.). MLB attendance as stated before is declining. Now, I don't think MLS will ever pass MLB, but the gap is closing.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
One more thing regarding this...

Do you think that there are too many games for the fans? If they shortened the season to say, 150, do you think attendance on a per game basis will go up? I don't think MLB would ever go for this, but it's a thought.

Reactions: Melrose Munch

nilan30

Jan 14, 2004
Oddly enough I've completely lost interest in hockey, football I still enjoy, basketball I've not been a fan of whatsoever for over 20 years, soccer I've never even considered watching and baseball is the one sport I can't get enough of in the last 5 years. Wait...does this mean I'm an old man now?

I never understood the games are too long argument. If you are spending hundreds of dollars to attend a sporting event, why do you want it to end as quickly as possible?

MikeCubs

May 30, 2018
One more thing regarding this...

Do you think that there are too many games for the fans? If they shortened the season to say, 150, do you think attendance on a per game basis will go up? I don't think MLB would ever go for this, but it's a thought.

Yes attendance would go up if you decreased the games. Cutting out early season cold games and late cold September games during football season would boost the average but decrease the overall revenue so I doubt it would happen. Perhaps cutting out some games and giving players more rest would help the players health and increase career longevity.

Last edited:
Reactions: Melrose Munch

Deleted member 23124

I think another cause in the attendance drop is that it's no longer the "only game in town" -- Hockey, football and basketball seasons were usually over by the time MLB opening day came along. Now you have the NBA and NHL championship series being played in JULY!!!!

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
by what metric?

Attendance, revenue, and tv ratings all favor MLB over NBA and NHL
Clear popularity. NBA also has the ratings at this point, baseball games have been drawing 500k on cable for a while. The NBA will also have a larger TV contract as of the next round, no way are FOX and TBS/WB paying all that money again.
Is MLB's TV ratings still better than the NBA?
not for the last 5 years

Last edited:

Dont Toews Me Bro

Mar 20, 2018
I think another cause in the attendance drop is that it's no longer the "only game in town" -- Hockey, football and basketball seasons were usually over by the time MLB opening day came along. Now you have the NBA and NHL championship series being played in JULY!!!!

When have the Stanley Cup Finals or NBA Finals ever gone into July?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad