Can Lucic bounce back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Problem is at this stage of his career he's not magically going to learn puck skills.

He is a caveman hockey player, getting lighter might make him a little faster, but probably also easier to push off the puck.

Throughout his career he always displayed decent puck skills for a player of his type, that's what made him so valuable. It's very obvious that the guy's confidence is completely shot and who knows if he will be able to get it back.

A few things I think helped destroy his confidence and his play this season.

- The team's brutal PP.
- The fact that Lucic does some of his best work in front of the net and with the GI now you can't even really go anywhere near the goalie without risking a GI call taking a goal away.
- Todd stapling him to McDavid even when it clearly wasn't working.

Reactions: noeticfuzz

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Lucic has been largely a bad fit here from day 1. He was mediocre right off the bad with McDavid, lost his spot to Maroon, then had a good stretch from about last Feb-April and then was underwhelming again in the playoffs.

This year he's been a trainwreck.

He doesn't play/read well off any of our centers. He'll be dumped onto Seattle with a draft pick in 2 years IMO.

Something like this is how I see it playing out as well. After another bad year, or potentially 2, he'll be asked to waive his NTC and the Oilers will dump the cap space along with a 2nd rounder or something.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Throughout his career he always displayed decent puck skills for a player of his type, that's what made him so valuable. It's very obvious that the guy's confidence is completely shot and who knows if he will be able to get it back.

A few things I think helped destroy his confidence and his play this season.

- The team's brutal PP.
- The fact that Lucic does some of his best work in front of the net and with the GI now you can't even really go anywhere near the goalie without risking a GI call taking a goal away.
- Todd stapling him to McDavid even when it clearly wasn't working.

He had "decent puck skills" for a caveman style of hockey, but that doesn't cut it anymore in the modern NHL, Maroon has way better hands/puck skills than Lucic does at this point.

It's just a player the game is passing by. He can lose weight, but I'd actually caution against losing too much weight.

You're never going to be a skilled player buddy, you lose too much of that weight and you're going to lose probably a lot of whatever is left of your intimidation factor.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
I honestly would not be surprised if Lucic doesn't score 20 goals again in an Oilers uniform.

It's not an outlandish prediction, but above and beyond any personal failings, he's been put in a position to fail by the Oilers make-up and special teams.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
It's not an outlandish prediction, but above and beyond any personal failings, he's been put in a position to fail by the Oilers make-up and special teams.

He's gotten to play with every center, he is stapled to the PP1 unit.

This guy has failed this franchise, not the other way around, they've done a lot to try and get him going and quite frankly he is given an unfair number of opportunities and a longer leash than any other player on this team minus McDavid.

Even Draisaitl would be demoted for pulling the crap play Lucic does.

This guy needs to pull his head out of his ass. That Calgary game where McDavid was in a bit of a tiff and Lucic did nothing about it too ... to me that said a lot.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
He's gotten to play with every center, he is stapled to the PP1 unit.

The PP unit never gets to play and when it does, it doesn't get pucks through to the net where he is. Milan's failings are the same as always, he's just not scoring PP goals to make up for some of that.

Do you know who would suck this year too? Prime aged Ryan Smyth.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
He had "decent puck skills" for a caveman style of hockey, but that doesn't cut it anymore in the modern NHL, Maroon has way better hands/puck skills than Lucic does at this point.

It's just a player the game is passing by. He can lose weight, but I'd actually caution against losing too much weight.

You're never going to be a skilled player buddy, you lose too much of that weight and you're going to lose probably a lot of whatever is left of your intimidation factor.

I think the shift in the game that has really hurt Lucic has been how players and skills coaches are perfecting the art of stick checking. Lucic lived off being a huge monster that could skate up the ice and brush guys aside with his huge frame. Now, players don't even care to physically engage, they just get their stick in a good place and knock the puck away from him with ease.

I'm still shocked at how bad Lucic is with his stick, and especially along the boards. He just get owned out there constantly with simple defensive plays. And the worst part is how he stuck his nose up at the idea of getting a skills coach in his recent interview with Gregor. Too many voices in his head I think was his excuse. He prefers no voices apparently.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The PP unit never gets to play and when it does, it doesn't get pucks through to the net where he is. Milan's failings are the same as always, he's just not scoring PP goals to make up for some of that.

Do you know who would suck this year too? Prime Ryan Smyth.

You know what? I doubt it. Ryan Smyth wouldn't make excuses and sulk, he'd work hard, make something happen, take punishment in front of the net if that's what it took, get some goals going and go from there.

Lucic has no where near that heart or desire, if he's not scoring he mopes around and forces dumb plays. Can't even be bothered to stick up for teammates anymore either. Says a lot about his character IMO.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
I think he'll get back to 45-50 point territory. That would require ten more points/goals than what he has today, which not coincidentally follows how badly his SH% has cratered this season.

What gives me hope is the new Lucic-Strome-Puljujarvi line. They need to stay together into next year for the good of all three players. No team has the depth to smother McD and Draisaitl while still having a competent defensive unit to take care of a third scoring line.

We just have to hope three of Caggiula/Aberg/Rattie/Yamamoto/Khaira/other become top six wingers.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
You know what? I doubt it. Ryan Smyth wouldn't make excuses and sulk, he'd work hard, make something happen, take punishment in front of the net if that's what it took, get some goals going and go from there.

Lucic has no where near that heart or desire, if he's not scoring he mopes around and forces dumb plays. Can't even be bothered to stick up for teammates anymore either. Says a lot about his character IMO.

Ryan Smyth scored a preponderance of his goals in the same place Lucic does, and the puck is never there. That's not up to Lucic or Smyth to "make happen".

Any net feeder would be useless on this team, and will remain useless until McDavid shoots pucks on the PP or we have a point shot.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Something like this is how I see it playing out as well. After another bad year, or potentially 2, he'll be asked to waive his NTC and the Oilers will dump the cap space along with a 2nd rounder or something.

I think that will be last resort. If he has another dreadful season next year the team will likely wait and see what happens with the CBA. There is no doubt in my mind that the PA will opt out of the current one when they are able to do so in Sept. 2019. There will likely be a work stoppage and with a new CBA wouldn't be surprised at all to see teams getting more compliance buyouts. I think they could also explore LTIR as an option if the player was onboard.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
He will most likely bounce back. However, he visibly lost a step and his general skills have taken a massive decline.

Last year he and his contract got unfairly razzed here and there by chumps with an agenda. This year he has been genuinely bad. His first year that I am aware of that he obviously is not a top 6 winger.

Im not sure if I want to hope his back is acting up or not. Oilers can get out of the contract for medical reasons if that is what is holding him back.

If his back is fine and this is just a weird slump he will be back to kicking butt next year with a good offseason. When playing like he typically does he is a great top 6 winger.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Ryan Smyth scored a preponderance of his goals in the same place Lucic does, and the puck is never there. That's not up to Lucic or Smyth to "make happen".

Any net feeder would be useless on this team, and will remain useless until McDavid shoots pucks on the PP or we have a point shot.

The puck does get to the net, prime Smyth would score 30, maybe even 40 with McDavid, don't kid yourself. It's not like Ales Hemsky was Mr. Shoot-A-Lot.

Lucic is a mentally weak player that mopes when things are not going his way that is the reason he's having a terrible season.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

Lucic isn't sulking or making excuses, not to my knowledge anyway. He's not playing well but that's more likely due to his skating speed, and that this team is so reliant on offense from the rush.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
I think Looch bounces back IF he’s willing to change his game and how he trains this off-season. The training thing shouldn’t be an issue, he’s admitted he’s too heavy, his buddy big Z just changed his diet and training last off-season and had a big bounce back year (at 40 yrs old no less). Dropping 15 pounds and getting quicker should be an attainable goal. Even that added quickness/improved conditioning would make Looch more effective currently.

The tougher task is modifying his game, or rather his willingness to do so. He needs to accept he’s not here to carry the puck up ice, not here to thread the needle for a cross ice one timer. He needs to watch old footage of Tomas Holmstrom and do exactly what he did (go to the net and wreak havoc, never have the puck on your stick more than 1/2 a second). Can he eat enough humble pie to not want the puck? I don’t know, but if he can, I see no reason he can’t put up 25 goals and 50 points a year.

I have faith in the guy.

Reactions: Night Witch

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I believe he will be back and have an improved season. So much of the game is mental, and he’s completely lost his confidence. A fresh start and weight loss training regimen will work wonders for him.

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
I see some people saying he will get a skills coach this summer. Where did this come from? I thought he seemed resistant to the idea when Gregor asked him about it. Has he said something else about it since then?

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Yes but in the role of a bottom 6 player who hits and brings energy to the team and stands up for his teammates. Nothing more. If the cap goes up to 82M next year, we just have to think we have 76M by default to play with and not at look at the 6M. It'll only stress you out

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Lucic isn't sulking or making excuses, not to my knowledge anyway. He's not playing well but that's more likely due to his skating speed, and that this team is so reliant on offense from the rush.

He's sulking in his play, bailing on plays, not sticking up for McDavid, sleepwalking through shifts instead of crashing the net, etc.

He's a mentally weak player that let's cold spurts snowball and then starts playing at half speed.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I mean just look at Lucic as the new Horc. 6M for a 3LW. Every teams has a overpaid player. Overpaid but still could be useful

Reactions: Night Witch

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
He's sulking in his play, bailing on plays, not sticking up for McDavid, sleepwalking through shifts instead of crashing the net, etc.

He's a mentally weak player that let's cold spurts snowball and then starts playing at half speed.

We get it. You don’t think he will bounce back and don’t like the player. As is your right.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Hopefully laraque can break the news he's been in intense fitness rehab over the summer.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
We get it. You don’t think he will bounce back and don’t like the player. As is your right.

It's probably the worst signing in franchise history, but his ass will be shipped off to Seattle in 2 years. Until then though he does a number on our cap which sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad