Can Jordan Eberle Reach 70 Points?

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I actually think Eberle might click better with Tavares than he did with McDavid. McDavid's a superior player to Tavares, but his style of play seems to focus on speed and his wingers driving to the net, neither of which are necessarily Eberle's game. I think the game Tavares plays is more in Eberle's wheelhouse.

I don't know if that's the case.

Eberle falls apart when he doesn't have space and when he has to carry the puck. I don't think there's a center in the league who creates more space for his wingers and allows his wingers to carry the puck less than McDavid.

Last edited:

McRobbiezyg

Oct 21, 2007
He absolutely can. He will be motivated this year. As an oiler fan, i'll definitely be cheering for him!

SB84

Jul 22, 2015
Calgary, AB
I know right, cause that trade worked out so horribly for them.

Don't get your panties in a bunch, I never said the trade worked out horribly. I am making the point that it's unreasonable for people to expect Eberle, or others, to vastly increase their production just because they are moving to a better situation (although playing with McDavid for 20 odd games was a pretty good situation he couldn't capitalize on). Kessel has been great in Pitt, especially in the playoffs, but the expectations people laid out for him before he got there were ridiculous.

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
I hope he forgets everything he learned from his shooting coach and rebounds, but I doubt he'll hit 70

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
Since former Oilers players have a habit of becoming good again when they leave the team (Dubnyk, Schultz, Petry, Gagner) I think he can hit 60 again

pretty much. Eberle is guaranteed at least 65 points since everyone breaks out when they leave us.

maxmn

Feb 16, 2013
I hope he does. He was the whipping boy in Edmonton. Plus who wouldn't prefer living in NY over Edmonton! And Tavares is a complete player...much easier to play with a guy who has a complete game. Jordan is going to love the East, lesser flight times, much better life style, etc. I be they are thrilled to go to NY.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
70? Not a chance. That would have been good for 19th in league scoring, ahead of guys like Ovie and Benn.

60 perhaps, but that will require playing with JT all year and 1st unit PP time.

He didn't just play his way off McDavid's line, he also played himself off the 1st unit PP in favour of 4C Mark Letestu.

50-55 points seems more reasonable.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
I hope he does. He was the whipping boy in Edmonton. Plus who wouldn't prefer living in NY over Edmonton! And Tavares is a complete player...much easier to play with a guy who has a complete game. Jordan is going to love the East, lesser flight times, much better life style, etc. I be they are thrilled to go to NY.

I fail to see how JT's "complete game" is somehow superior to McDavid. Both are cerebral and committed players, not sure what you're suggesting.

Becoming "the whipping boy" in Edmonton was a product of his approach to the game. When the intensity ratcheted up in the playoffs, he wilted. That's on him.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
the only way he was able to do it on the Oilers was while being heavily sheltered and getting tons of PP time

Intangiblezz

Oct 21, 2012
Lee - Tavares - Eberle is going to be a line that has a little bit of everything and that won't be focused on a speed game.

Lee will retrieve pucks, battle on the boards and be around the net picking up the garbage and screening the goalie.

Tavares will focus on carrying the puck in and dishing it to Lee and Eberle. His improved two-way game and willingness to go into the dirty areas will help.

Eberle can focus on positioning himself well and getting pucks to the net. A better Matt Moulson if you will. I can see 30 goals + 30 assists this season for him.

maxmn

Feb 16, 2013
I fail to see how JT's "complete game" is somehow superior to McDavid. Both are cerebral and committed players, not sure what you're suggesting.

Becoming "the whipping boy" in Edmonton was a product of his approach to the game. When the intensity ratcheted up in the playoffs, he wilted. That's on him.

McDavid was a complete no show the last game. JT doesn't fade away and can play the entire surface in any game. What good is speed if you can get shut down with ease. He "wilted" often. Must be his approach to the game huh? Lol.

As for whipping boy. It's an Edmonton tradition. Destroy and tear players apart. Declare all
Losses to one guy. Media and fans get off on it. Then act surprised when they excel elsewhere. Saying they "gave up" or "wilted" in Ed. Do you rip on McDavid for wilting in game 7?

I wonder who the new whipping boy in Edmonton will be. I'm guessing RNH.

smackdaddy

x – Edmonton
Nov 24, 2006
B.C.
McDavid was a complete no show the last game. JT doesn't fade away and can play the entire surface in any game. What good is speed if you can get shut down with ease. He "wilted" often. Must be his approach to the game huh? Lol.

As for whipping boy. It's an Edmonton tradition. Destroy and tear players apart. Declare all
Losses to one guy. Media and fans get off on it. Then act surprised when they excel elsewhere. Saying they "gave up" or "wilted" in Ed. Do you rip on McDavid for wilting in game 7?

Yeah you're nuts

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008

Did you even watch McDavid in the playoffs? If you did, you may have noticed a fellow named Ryan Kesler glued to him every game. Kesler is arguably the best shutdown centre in the game. In the first round it was Vlasic every shift (arguably the best shutdown D in the game), as well as Pavelski (very good defensive forward).

Explain to me who JT has ever faced in the playoffs that is that calibre of defender, having played PIT, WSH, TB, and FLA. None of those teams have a guy like Kesler, nor did they deploy an outright shadow as ANH did with Kesler.

This is also overlooking the fact it was his first playoff run in only his second season. JT didn't make the playoffs until his 4th season. You might brush that aside, but I think 2 additional years of pro experience and off-season training makes a big deal.

Either way, I'm not trying to take anything away from JT, I'm a huge fan, I just don't see anything he does away from the puck that Connor doesn't do as well.

If you want to maintain sky high hopes for Eberle and paint him the martyr in his exodus from Edmonton then by all means do so, but I predict disappointment when you find he's the exact same guy in NY.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB

Leon Draisaitl.

book it.

oilsands

dirty oil, comin 4 u
Jul 6, 2007
Halland
He has 7 full NHL seasons under his belt. One of which, five years ago he nailed over 70.

Highly unlikely.

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
Nope. Doesn't want to get his hands dirty, lacks NHL speed and would rather dust off his shot than take a one-timer.

If he corrects any of these deficiencies, then he may have a chance.

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
If he plays like he did last season no chance. He's a good player who's done it before though. Who knows

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad