Can Jordan Eberle Reach 70 Points?

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
We see these threads every time someone gets traded. I'd be thrilled with 25-30 goals and around 60 points.

kmo429

Jul 22, 2011
If he is JT's linemate all year, which remaisn to eb seen, he'll finish somehwere between 60 and 70, but likely not hit 70. He is a definitive improvement over Josh Bailey, who had a career year as a full time #1 RW. JT should benefit from Eberle's offensive skill a bit, and I expect Anders Lee to at least match last year's performance.

Something people don't realize about Lee, is that he started last year with 1 goal, 1 assist in his first 18 games. Somehow notched 33 goals and 17 assists in his final 63 games.

Would not be surprised if he hits 40 goals next year. The guy is an absolute beast in front of the net. He should be able to provide Eberle with a lot of secondary assists as well.

Tom Collins

Aug 26, 2013
Skill and ability was never Eberle's problem. It was his apparent lack of GAF that led to the less-than-impressive following up of his 76-point (34 goal) campaign. Whether or not he can get back to that is going to depend on how he gets it together between the ears.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
I can see him get back to scoring around 60-65...70 is possible...JT's style might help him more...as long as he figures out his shot again.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
He's hit 70 in the past. Of course it's possible. Not likely but definitely possible.

SB84

Jul 22, 2015
Calgary, AB
Instead the Pens just won back to back cups. Brutal.

Almost feel bad for him, i'm sure the Pens would like a do over on that one. If they hadn't committed all that money to Phil they could have gone after Eberle! He would have potted 40-50 for sure next to Crosby/Malkin

djpatm

Feb 2, 2010
Calgary
If he can't do it with mcdavid what makes you think he can do it with a lesser Tavares?

The only way he can do it is if he truly needed a fresh start. But his issues are very tough to fix. Everyone knows you have to push eberle off the puck and he folds. He loses all the puck battles when played physically. What can Tavares do for eberle in that department? Nothing.

Maybe if he gets his one timers back he can become another one trick stamkos pony but that's his absolute peak. Still can't believe someone traded for him for that 6mill contract

Different team, Different game plan, Different plays.

Maybe his game didn't gel well with Connor. Or they didn't get along? Or the play was more about giving Connor the puck?

Maybe being on a losing team for 9/10 years in his career sapped the life and love of hockey out of him?

Fresh start will give him the best opportunity to do it since.

guzzy

Jul 6, 2005
he had 76 points In 2011-12

Oilers have a history of guys who have one or two good seasons:
Jarrett Stoll - 2005-06 - 68 points. Never scored above 50 after that
Shawn Horcoff - 2005-06 - 73 points, followed by three consecutive ~50 seasons (50,51,53), never to eclipse 40 outside of these 4 seasons.
Ales Hemsky - 2005-06 -77 points followed by 55 and 66. Never to pass 50 other than those 3 seasons
Nugent-Hopkins is always around 50 (not worth $6mm/year)
Taylor Hall - 2013-14 - 80 points. 65 was second best.

Eberle outside of 2011-12 has 65 and 63, seems to hover around 50 (again not worth $6mm/year). Definitely doesn't mean he can get back there. The guy is butter soft and gets thrown off the puck too easily. I think he will spend the next few years around 50 until his contract expires. He will be lucky to get $3mm on his next contract.

Last edited:

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
can eberle hit 70 points if hes on JT's line? heard they have chemistry.

Nobody here has a crystal ball. Why ask questions that nobody can possibly answer?

Last edited by a moderator:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I actually think Eberle might click better with Tavares than he did with McDavid. McDavid's a superior player to Tavares, but his style of play seems to focus on speed and his wingers driving to the net, neither of which are necessarily Eberle's game. I think the game Tavares plays is more in Eberle's wheelhouse.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
From watching him as an Oilers fan. He just doesnt create too much anymore. He doesnt have the speed to get past the defense. He doesnt have the shot to beat a goaltending from far out. He doesnt have the will to get to the dirty areas consistently. But at the end of the day he still puts up 50+ points.

Hes a polarizing player for sure. Some fans love him, some fans hate him.

You cant deny that he has a knack for putting up points. Could he put up 70 points? probably. Do I personally think he can? Not really. I think he really needs to commit himself to the game. Thats the big question for me. Is a change of scenery going to give him some motivation? I really dont know what to expect to be honest. I think it will be a interesting headline this coming year.

But me personally, I dont expect him to put up 70 points.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
He wasn't on mcdavids line but he got 70 on Hopkins line already. Who apparently is better than mcdavid and Tavares judging most of these responses. Well Hopkins or gagner/horcoff . I can't remember.

But the guy got a 6 mill a year contract because he put up a 76 point season. Without mcdavid

But anyways Eberle isn't fast . Tavares is good with slow players. Only problem is he can't one time a puck.

I'm guessing his chances of shooting 18.5% again are pretty slim.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad