Can Alex Galchenyuk be salvaged?

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Galchenyuk: 64 games - 39 points
JVR: 65 games - 41 points

Galchenyuk is 4 years younger, on a much worse team and their career years are 6 points apart.

JVR has scored 30 and 29 goals, and will surpass 30 again this season, and has topped 60 points twice in his career now. He also has topped 20 goals five times now.

Galchenyuk..........not so much.

DatSnipeMatthews

Oct 5, 2017
Canada
Galchenyuk: 64 games - 39 points
JVR: 65 games - 41 points

Galchenyuk is 4 years younger, on a much worse team and their career years are 6 points apart.

Galchenyuk is tied for 1st on his team in scoring and an important piece to the Habs whereas JVR is 5th and on his way out. Gally is a decent 2nd line winger on an awful team. He wouldn't be talked about if it wasn't the Habs.

And the answer is no, I don't think he can be salvaged because he is what he is: a decent 2nd line winger.

Janne Niinimaa

"Character"
Sep 28, 2017
Montreal
JVR has scored 30 and 29 goals, and will surpass 30 again this season, and has topped 60 points twice in his career now. He also has topped 20 goals five times now.

Galchenyuk..........not so much.
Career 0.6 PPG vs career 0.64 PPG. What a huge difference. 3 of JVR's 4 best career seasons have come in the past 4 years. While he is 4 years older than Galchenyuk. Let's wait 4 more seasons and see if Galchenyuk is still "JVR-lite" even though they are already close to on par.

Reactions: King In Glory

Janne Niinimaa

"Character"
Sep 28, 2017
Montreal
Galchenyuk is tied for 1st on his team in scoring and an important piece to the Habs whereas JVR is 5th and on his way out. Gally is a decent 2nd line center on an awful team. He wouldn't be talked about if it wasn't the Habs.

And the answer is no, I don't think he can be salvaged because he is what he is: a decent 2nd line winger.
At this point he's probably a 50 point player over a full season. "Decent 2nd line winger" is a very harsh label.

IMO he can be a very good complimentary piece to a 1st line. A good winger for a top centre. Can probably be a good 2nd line centre as well.

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
Weird word to use for the title... ‘salvaged’.

Makes me think of an old car lot.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
This is somewhat similar to the people telling us Radulov was overrated and nothing more than a 50 points winger a year ago.

And now you have Dallas fans saying he might be their best forward.

Yup. People should watch more montreal games ( they really shouldn't ) and they would realise how much our forwards lack any type of creativity or offensive chemistry . Its sad to watch. They actually don't pass it to eachother much , really rough to watch .The one guy 27 really clicked with was radulov so obviously brainiac Bergevin had to neuter any sense of entertainment on the team .

Put him on a team that actually plays hockey in the O-zone and he would rack up tons of points. I would love for mtl to trade him to see if I'm right

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Theres nothing wrong with Gally. He's just not a center, and he is being used as the scapegoat for MGMT building a garbage team. Its the same thing as when Kessel was a top 10 NHL scorer during his entire time in Tor but was the "problem". Just the media throwing their connections in MGMT a solid by blaming the talented players instead of the incompetent guys up top running the thing. Fans always fall for it too.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Galchenyuk is really the player Florida should have been targeting. Not patches

HabsQC

Sep 27, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec
He's good but :

Not very mature. I know he's only 23 but great players of his calibre need to be a lil more aerious in MTL.

Kept doing frustrating low percentage plays, especially on the PP

Has a 3 years contract, only 2 after this season.

Don't get me wrong, I like him very much at the point that I bought t-shirts with his name on it.

If it meant we would actually get a center I would trade him.

I think we should wait maybe til next year to let him show off his true skills. He's still young.

Ed27

Dec 20, 2015
I would go along with the prevailing thought on these boards. Chucky is mismanaged in Montreal and the change of scenery might be of great benefit to him. He would do great on so many teams.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
I would go along with the prevailing thought on these boards. Chucky is mismanaged in Montreal and the change of scenery might be of great benefit to him. He would do great on so many teams.

Agree 100% - Most logical Habs fans.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad