Camp Thread 3 | Sundqvist to Sweden, Kapanen (probably) to Finland, Harrington to WBS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I'll throw something else out there. Sutter had a strong training camp, so they're giving him a little sugar (No. 2 C) to reward him for it. And I'll go even further, what if this is the start of a showcase? I think Rutherford is smart enough to figure out we need help on the wing. Playing Sutter at center in a scoring role helps his value tremendously, especially playing with Geno.

If this were the Shero/Bylsma era, I'd be concerned. Because they seemed to do things for the regular-season win only, with absolutely no long-range planning or vision.

I think Rutherford/Johnston have a plan. I think they have a vision.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
That said, the scary thing is I think that Malkin will look pretty good at wing (the system change is going to help).

Of course, a 6 cylinder engine in a BMW is a good car. That's hardly a reason not to go with the 8 cylinder engine.

I don't think he'll look too sharp at all, honestly.

Somebody on that line has to get him the puck. Who?

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Malkin isn't on Sutter's wing to accommodate Sutter. Malkin is on Sutter's wing to accommodate both Sutter and Malkin. Combining those lines makes more sense to Johnston than having a ****** 2nd line and a ****tier 3rd line.

Edit: I do believe this means that Kunitz and Hornqvist are Crosby's, and Malkin's line will be a work-in-progress the entire season. (I'm not a fan of this)

Partially right.

Malkin playing with Sutter is what's best for Sutter and Malkin given lines of Kunitz-Sid-Hornqvist AND Spaling-Goc-Comeau.

Malkin playing on Sutter's wing instead of Sutter on Malkin's wing for anything more than the weekend is what's best for Sutter.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I'll throw something else out there. Sutter had a strong training camp, so they're giving him a little sugar (No. 2 C) to reward him for it. And I'll go even further, what if this is the start of a showcase? I think Rutherford is smart enough to figure out we need help on the wing. Playing Sutter at center in a scoring role helps his value tremendously, especially playing with Geno.

If this were the Shero/Bylsma era, I'd be concerned. Because they seemed to do things for the regular-season win only, with absolutely no long-range planning or vision.

I think Rutherford/Johnston have a plan. I think they have a vision.

If he's trading Sutter by the end of the month, then I could see it.

If this were the only red flag, then I wouldn't be concerned. But, it's not the only red flag. The PP, Adams and Scuderi, not rewarding the kids who earned it . . . hard not to wonder if all of this looks like a rearrangement of deck chairs.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Partially right.

Malkin playing with Sutter is what's best for Sutter and Malkin given lines of Kunitz-Sid-Hornqvist AND Spaling-Goc-Comeau.

Malkin playing on Sutter's wing instead of Sutter on Malkin's wing for anything more than the weekend is what's best for Sutter.

Malkin with Sutter in any iteration is better than Malkin with Dupuis and Downie, imo

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Malkin with Sutter in any iteration is better than Malkin with Dupuis and Downie, imo

Now you're moving the bar.

Malkin with Sutter and Downie in any iteration would be better than Malkin with Sutter and Dupuis.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Of course, a 6 cylinder engine in a BMW is a good car. That's hardly a reason not to go with the 8 cylinder engine.

You hold your tongue. The straight six is God's gift to man. :laugh:

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
You hold your tongue. The straight six is God's gift to man. :laugh:

Hold my tongue. Who the **** do you think you're talking to? :laugh:

BTW, got to give props to Monty from another thread. He said something that reminded me about Johnston's schtick about what they do in the regular season being designed to prepare the team for the playoffs.

If they're thinking in terms of it taking months for everything to click and if one of the things you're going to need for the playoffs is a dominant Geno at center, then this Geno on Sutter's wing thing has to end pretty quickly . . . atleast if one is to believe what the organization said about using the regular season to prepare for the playoffs.

BrokenStick

Feb 8, 2004
Ellwood City, PA
I think everyone is focusing too strongly on where Geno is listed on that line.

Johnston's system is way more fluid than Bylsma's, and I fully expect Geno to play in the center position as much as RW on that line.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I think everyone is focusing too strongly on where Geno is listed on that line.

Johnston's system is way more fluid than Bylsma's, and I fully expect Geno to play in the center position as much as RW on that line.

If that happens or we get a situation where Geno is kind of thrown out there with different combinations at center during the course of a game, then I'd be ok with that. Even impressed by it . . .

BUT, given what I'm seeing with the PP, kids who earned it being elsewhere, Adams and Scuderi, the convoluted explanation for why Geno is at wing, etc, I think that I've gone from optimistic mode to trust but verify mode (right now, I'm not close to 100% sure it's genuine change rather than rearranging furniture in a house type of change).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad