Camp Thread 3 | Sundqvist to Sweden, Kapanen (probably) to Finland, Harrington to WBS

Status
Not open for further replies.

penguins2946*

Fun fact, the Pens finished the preseason with letting up 11 goals in 6 games (with 2 empty net goals). It's funny, we're going to be awesome defensively because of this heavily offensively focused system.

gdsmack267

Sep 11, 2010
Rochester, NY
I really hope we claim Peter Mueller today at noon. Here is a possible opening day lineup assuming Malkin is ready which is starting to look grim

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
Mueller-Malkin-Hornqvist
Spaling-Sutter-Downie
Comeau-Goc-Sundqvist

Extra: Adams, Sill

Ehrhoff-Letang
Martin-Maatta
Harrington-Despres

Extra: Scuderi

MAF
Griess

Last edited:

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Fun fact, the Pens finished the preseason with letting up 11 goals in 6 games (with 2 empty net goals). It's funny, we're going to be awesome defensively because of this heavily offensively focused system.

I wouldn't put ANY stock in preseason results, ESPECIALLY this one without our two best players for all but 1 game.

As for Carcillo being released, I'm really not surprised. He's just more of what we already had in spades.

Time to get a real tough guy. Deal Adams for one. I'm fairly certain it's doable.

Greeneye

May 17, 2006
Golden, CO
I wouldn't put ANY stock in preseason results, ESPECIALLY this one without our two best players for all but 1 game.

As for Carcillo being released, I'm really not surprised. He's just more of what we already had in spades.

Time to get a real tough guy. Deal Adams for one. I'm fairly certain it's doable.
No nhl team is going to trade for craig adams. maybe if db/rs get hired by someone before the start of the season.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
No nhl team is going to trade for craig adams. maybe if db/rs get hired by someone before the start of the season.

The Leafs wouldn't do Adams for Frazer McLaren? I beg to differ. The Jets might do Adams for Anthony Peluso. The Habs would definitely do Adams for Travis Moen (but his contract is too ugly and he's no longer tough to play against). There are more examples out there.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ

Also there might have been concerns about the injury too. I can't watch the games from overseas, but even if he looked alright in a game or practice or two, there might be concerns that his injury isn't healing right or will flare up. We've already got enough injury-prone skaters, no need to add another one just for funsies.

You know my feeling on tough guys, but I'm pretty sure Adams' isn't going to be useful to anyone save as a locker-room/character guy towards the playoffs, and that's being insanely optimistic.

Greeneye

May 17, 2006
Golden, CO
The Leafs wouldn't do Adams for Frazer McLaren? I beg to differ. The Jets might do Adams for Anthony Peluso. The Habs would definitely do Adams for Travis Moen (but his contract is too ugly and he's no longer tough to play against). There are more examples out there.

No I dont think so.

penguins2946*

Why not? We had the rest of our team. We were excellent defensively in the preseason (minus the PK, but that will come). I don't know why we can't be excited for the regular season from that.

Looks like Sundqvist has earned a spot, not just a 9 game look.

I don't think he has the 9 game limit; if he plays 1 game, a year gets burnt off of his contract. Is it really worth it though? We already are jammed in the bottom-6, and he's not ready for the top-6. I understand Kapanen, he has the talent to be a top-6 winger right now, and he also has the 9 game tryout of not burning a year off of his deal. I'm split on Sundqvist. He definitely earned a spot with his play in the preseason, without a doubt. However, keeping him up burns a year off of his contract, and he would probably be relegated to a healthy scratch or the AHL whenever we're healthy and we bring in another top-6 forward. I don't know what to do with him.

mikethelegacy

formerly mikelegacy
May 9, 2013
Pittsburgh, Pa
Literally, I'm convinced that Carcillo was cut because he was pushed off every puck last night and I saw him fall over not being near anyone like 6 times.

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
I think Sundqvist's contract will be active no matter where he plays. He's 20 so his contract can't slide. If the Pens loan him back to Sweden, they'll only have to pay him the difference between his SHL salary and the $642,500 his ELC would pay him, but we wouldn't save any term.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Also, while we're talking about Carcillo, I wonder what that means for Sill and Farnham. Probably raised their chances for the big roster, though it seems contradictory from JB's reporting just yesterday:

From what I heard while I was in Pittsburgh, the expectation was that Carcillo would be offered a contract. That was more than a week ago, though, and things could have changed since then. The foot injury might complicate matters, but he did play 12 minutes in Monday’s exhibition game against Minnesota, so it’s not too serious.

Got to wonder what changed in a week...

Last edited:

Pete Gas

Jul 10, 2012
I would of signed Carcillo just so he could cause havoc in the playoffs. He drew 2 penalties in the games he played.

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
Why not? We had the rest of our team. We were excellent defensively in the preseason (minus the PK, but that will come). I don't know why we can't be excited for the regular season from that.

I don't think he has the 9 game limit; if he plays 1 game, a year gets burnt off of his contract. Is it really worth it though? We already are jammed in the bottom-6, and he's not ready for the top-6. I understand Kapanen, he has the talent to be a top-6 winger right now, and he also has the 9 game tryout of not burning a year off of his deal. I'm split on Sundqvist. He definitely earned a spot with his play in the preseason, without a doubt. However, keeping him up burns a year off of his contract, and he would probably be relegated to a healthy scratch or the AHL whenever we're healthy and we bring in another top-6 forward. I don't know what to do with him.

IIRC Sundqvist's contract will start either way, since he is 20 years old.

penguins2946*

I think Sundqvist's contract will be active no matter where he plays. He's 20 so his contract can't slide. If the Pens loan him back to Sweden, they'll only have to pay him the difference between his SHL salary and the $642,500 his ELC would pay him, but we wouldn't save any term.

If that's the case, the Pens would be stupid to not keep him on the roster to start the season imo.

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
Nevermind.

I think Carcillo was still hurt.

Josh Yohe ‏@JoshYohe_Trib · 3h3 hours ago
Spoke with Carcillo before Minnesota game. Made it pretty clear he was still hurt with the foot injury. Cost him a spot.

He was playing on it, but I don't think it was healed or ready for an NHL season.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Yeah, but Farnham has all the makings of a younger, less psychotic Carcillo and Sill's a gigantic pain in the ass as well. I wonder if Carcillo was brought in as the failsafe, in case both of them weren't able to cut it?

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
Yeah, but Farnham has all the makings of a younger, less psychotic Carcillo and Sill's a gigantic pain in the ass as well. I wonder if Carcillo was brought in as the failsafe, in case both of them weren't able to cut it?

Carcillo is a better player and more experienced than Sill or Farnham. I think if Carcillo was healthy or the foot was healing properly, than he would've had a contract.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC

Or simply to compete with them. Either way, Carcillo was doomed imo because of the similarities to several other bottom-six candidates.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Disappointed with Carcillo being let go, but if he's injured nothing the Pens could do. But what depresses me even more is the possibility of seeing Adams in the same role all season. I will not buy the NHL TV package until he is removed from the Pens, the guy simply represents everything that was wrong with the Shero/DB era.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad