Camp Invite - Pius Suter

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
I remember him having a solid WJC and I vaguely remember him In the OHL. Can’t hurt to see what he’s got.

Would be something if him and Kovar pushed Nelson out the door.

He was over a point per game on his team this past year. But so was Robert Nilsson(yea that Robert Nilsson). So I don't have my hopes up.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
He was second in U22 scoring in the Swiss league, only behind first place by one point while playing in 14 less games.

He may be small, but it sounds like he works hard in all three zones.

Reactions: Tavares Is A Leaf

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Speaking of camp invites, there are about 10 UFA D left, so if NYI is going to look to bring in someone on a camp invite, it’s going to be this week.

If not, the opportunity for guys like Aho/Dobson/Toews/Rathgeb to get looks becomes much more likely. I’d rather see this route to be honest.

BarBeauWahlDobLok

Sep 5, 2014
What's the scouting report on this guy, I know almost nothing about him. Will we be getting visited by an angry European local poster that he won't be at their training camp and possible season like with Visnovsky? (Anyone else remember that?)

Skating wise, he's between me and Connor McDavid.

In terms of evasiveness, he's somewhere between me and Mat Barzal.

Slapshot, between me and Ryan Pulock.

Wrist shot, between me and Phil Kessel

Release, between me and Brock Boesser

Defensive awareness, between me and Patrice Bergeron.

Competitiveness and leadership, between me and Sidney Crosby

One-time, between me and Alex Ovechkin

Handsomeness, between me and Mat Barzal, Tyler Seguin, and whoever the chicks like.

I hope this helps.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Speaking of camp invites, there are about 10 UFA D left, so if NYI is going to look to bring in someone on a camp invite, it’s going to be this week.

If not, the opportunity for guys like Aho/Dobson/Toews/Rathgeb to get looks becomes much more likely. I’d rather see this route to be honest.

Sbisa is the guy that is surprising me the most. He's a bonafide NHLer and he's in his prime. He's coming off a short, but highly effective season.

I can only imagine that he and his agent have told teams exactly what he wants/is looking for and no-one is willing to bite. Not yet. Or perhaps he and Vegas are waiting something out.

In general though, I think the organization is CONVINCED that Toews is ready to be a Top 6 Dman and think there's little reason to seek outside help until they know if he can jump over particularly Mayfield, Hickey, and maybe Pelech in the pecking order.

In addition, I'm thinking that Trotz and Lou are also waiting to see how Aho shows up after his successful NA debut last season.

As for Dobson, it'll be cool to have him in camp. If he does something worthy of a 9-game look-see (or even less), then I guess we should see that positively. Having him signed lends creadence to the belief that the team could be leaning in that direction.

But in general, I'm almost thinking the team will have Seidenberg in camp on a PTO and then sign him at some point in the fall for insurance. If he could just be half as good as he was the season before, he'd be a decent depth option.

That's not a move a team looking to compete makes, but...

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
Sbisa is the guy that is surprising me the most. He's a bonafide NHLer and he's in his prime. He's coming off a short, but highly effective season.

I can only imagine that he and his agent have told teams exactly what he wants/is looking for and no-one is willing to bite. Not yet. Or perhaps he and Vegas are waiting something out.

In general though, I think the organization is CONVINCED that Toews is ready to be a Top 6 Dman and think there's little reason to seek outside help until they know if he can jump over particularly Mayfield, Hickey, and maybe Pelech in the pecking order.

In addition, I'm thinking that Trotz and Lou are also waiting to see how Aho shows up after his successful NA debut last season.

As for Dobson, it'll be cool to have him in camp. If he does something worthy of a 9-game look-see (or even less), then I guess we should see that positively. Having him signed lends creadence to the belief that the team could be leaning in that direction.

But in general, I'm almost thinking the team will have Seidenberg in camp on a PTO and then sign him at some point in the fall for insurance. If he could just be half as good as he was the season before, he'd be a decent depth option.

That's not a move a team looking to compete makes, but...

I'm convinced as well. Only thing that concerns me is rust. I don't want to push him into the top 6 without some AHL in game action but it all depends on how he is during camp.

Dobson I think will impress and be one of the last cuts.

I hope Sbisa is a PTO at worst.

BarBeauWahlDobLok

Sep 5, 2014
I'm convinced as well. Only thing that concerns me is rust. I don't want to push him into the top 6 without some AHL in game action but it all depends on how he is during camp.

Dobson I think will impress and be one of the last cuts.

I hope Sbisa is a PTO at worst.

I think the top 3 picks from this year's draft will be late cuts; Wahlstrom, Dobson, and Wilde.

I don't think any of them get a nine game trial. Each of them have elements of their game that they need to work on in order to be strong NHL players; Dobson needs bulk, Wahlstrom needs to work on his play away from the puck, and Wilde needs to play a more composed game. They'll be on the roster next year or the year after, but for this year, I think they'll be in college and junior as appropriate.

Lou is not one to jack around, which is why he signed so many 3rd and 4th liners. He'll also trade players who will benefit the team both long term and immediately. So, be prepared for trades involving Andes Lee and Jordan Eberle if we're out of it by the deadline. If we're in it, he'll risk losing them for nothing. He's done it before with Scott Niedermayer, Brian Rafalski, and Zach Parise.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I think the top 3 picks from this year's draft will be late cuts; Wahlstrom, Dobson, and Wilde.

Well, it's already been confirmed that Wahlstrom will not be at camp (attending college).

There's been no report of Wilde attending camp. He's already playing for Saginaw.

I don't think any of them get a nine game trial. Each of them have elements of their game that they need to work on in order to be strong NHL players; Dobson needs bulk, Wahlstrom needs to work on his play away from the puck, and Wilde needs to play a more composed game. They'll be on the roster next year or the year after, but for this year, I think they'll be in college and junior as appropriate.

Dobson included, I cannot imagine that any of our junior or recently drafted Dmen are further along than even Burroughs, who has spent 3 years paying his dues in the AHL and coming off a severally solid defensive season there.

In addition, a guy like Rathgeb is 22 and has played 3 whole seasons of NLA hockey, which is widely considered one of the top 4 pro circuits on the planet.

Neither of these two are ahead of Toews or Aho, who currently look like Dmen 7 and 8.

Time for this team to find out what possibilities the players they're paying actually have. The rest can continue developing accordingly, as they should.

Lou is not one to jack around, which is why he signed so many 3rd and 4th liners. He'll also trade players who will benefit the team both long term and immediately. So, be prepared for trades involving Andes Lee and Jordan Eberle if we're out of it by the deadline. If we're in it, he'll risk losing them for nothing. He's done it before with Scott Niedermayer, Brian Rafalski, and Zach Parise.

And that would be Ok.

If you're in it, you could for it with the guys who have gotten you there, upcoming UFAs or not.

Unless it's a game-changing face-of-the-franchise type who you have no guarantee about being able to re-sign. Then you've got to use him to get a very juicy package that may one day replace him.

But Lee and Eberle aren't those types.

And if things are going well and this team is jelling organically with a clear-cut direction at hand, I can see particularly a Lee signing in-season much like Bailey did.

Last edited:

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
This team better come out of the gate quickly because the team doesn't have the talent to dig themselves out of any holes. If we're not solidly in playoff position by Thanksgiving, the 'for sale' sign should be going up pretty quickly. In Lou's case, he'll send Garth on a road trip to whisper that to every GM so not to break the cone of silence.

Suter might have a role at the NHL level if we do have a sell off.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
This team better come out of the gate quickly because the team doesn't have the talent to dig themselves out of any holes. If we're not solidly in playoff position by Thanksgiving, the 'for sale' sign should be going up pretty quickly. In Lou's case, he'll send Garth on a road trip to whisper that to every GM so not to break the cone of silence.

Suter might have a role at the NHL level if we do have a sell off.

The only problem is Suter, unlike Rathgeb, may not be interested in toiling in the AHL until NYI ships off Filppula for future considerations in January.

BarBeauWahlDobLok

Sep 5, 2014
Well, it's already been confirmed that Wahlstrom will not be at camp (attending college).

There's been no report of Wilde attending camp. He's already playing for Sarnia.

Dobson included, I cannot imagine that any of our junior or recently drafted Dmen are further along than even Burroughs, who has spent 3 years paying his dues in the AHL and coming off a severally solid defensive season there.

In addition, a guy like Rathgeb is 22 and has played 3 whole seasons of NLA hockey, which is widely considered one of the top 4 pro circuits on the planet.

Neither of these two are ahead of Toews or Aho, who currently look like Dmen 7 and 8.

Time for this team to find out what possibilities the players they're paying actually have. The rest can continue developing accordingly, as they should.

And that would be Ok.

If you're in it, you could for it with the guys who have gotten you there, upcoming UFAs or not.

Unless it's a game-changing face-of-the-franchise type who you have no guarantee about being able to re-sign. Then you've got to use him to get a very juicy package that may one day replace him.

But Lee and Eberle aren't those types.

And if things are going well and this team is jelling organically with a clear-cut direction at hand, I can see particularly a Lee signing in-season much like Bailey did.

Like I said, Wahlstrom is playing college this year. Did I say he was going to be a late cut? What I meant was he's going to score a ton of goals at the colegiate level and be the next freshman to win the Hobey Baker Award. Everything that I posted and turned out to be inaccurate, was taken purely out of context. If I actually knew what I was talking about, I would have said it just like you. Maybe I can write a book like OJ did.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
FWIW, when I hear the name "Pius Suter" I think of a Pilgrim or maybe a character from the movie "The Village".

Reactions: eoin92

denis5

Mar 13, 2007
There's been no report of Wilde attending camp. He's already playing for Sarnia.
Wilde is at camp
The prospects, which include 2016 first-round pick Kieffer Bellows, 2018 first-round pick Noah Dobson and 2018 second-round pick Bode Wilde, will skate daily from Friday to Wednesday. The prospect camp culminates with a rookie game against the Philadelphia Flyers prospects on Wednesday, Sept. 12, at 6 p.m. at Northwell Health Ice Center.
New York Islanders 2018 Rookie Camp Roster

denis5

Mar 13, 2007
He meant NHL camp not rookie camp
Point is that he's here, not with Sarnia. Not that it matters, but unless he completely craps the bed, he'll be sticking around at least for a while when the vets report. Near zero chance he makes the team, but the Isles will want him to get at least a little taste of what he needs to work on this year before sending him back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad