Confirmed with Link: Cammy and DSP being bought out

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I think Cammy getting bought means Rico is not getting moved.

We might have a lot of LW's but not a lot of vet lw's.

Taylor Hall is a veteran - he has played more years in the NHL than Henrique - and there's lots of guys available in free agency.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Taylor Hall is a veteran - he has played more years in the NHL than Henrique - and there's lots of guys available in free agency.

Aight so we would have 1. That's 25%, which is kind of low.

And I guess you can go out and trade Rico and then sign a LW. But this is drifting away into the unlikely.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
I disagree, if someone is going to offer us a equal Dman for Henrique Id take it. We are week on the back end and i feel like we can make up the loss of Henrique up front with our younger forwards and growth of said forwards.

I would be perfectly fine with going into the season as the LW line up Hall Zacha JQ Wood. Mainly because Zacha and JQ are smart defensively sound players, who will score. Wood being on that 4th line maybe with Blandisi would be fun to watch.

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
i really don't get buying out Cam. We don't need the space, and his value is awful right now.

You don't need to buy him out to take on any contracts, since you can be 10% above the cap ceiling.

And if anything, you give other teams more options in free agency for a LW (assuming there is any traction w/ Kovalchuk).

As far as DSP? Meh who cares. I'm glad we re-signed him last year. You had to. But it turns out he was only a flash in the pan for that one ~20 game stretch

Edit: Before this past season, Cammalleri had: GP = 779, Goals = 277, Assists = 305, 582 point. 582 points in 779 games, which is like .61 ppg.

I get how bad he looked last year. But to cut bait on that asset. You gotta wonder if it was an aberration? His MO was that he would get hurt, but would always produce.

take the stat line and put it in the refuse bin... he is not an asset as you mention .. he was costing the team 5 million , can't stay healthy , can't play consistent, you don't want to have a veteran guy around sitting in the stand ... this is a smart move by sheer and co.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
take the stat line and put it in the refuse bin... he is not an asset as you mention .. he was costing the team 5 million , can't stay healthy , can't play consistent, you don't want to have a veteran guy around sitting in the stand ... this is a smart move by sheer and co.

Factor in the effort thing and he's just not worth the hassle. He looked like he just didn't care a lot this year.

Traitor Zach

Released from Glory
Jan 29, 2012
Northeast
Shero and his front office had no attachment to Cammy. One of the final bad moves by Lou is off the roster.

DSP showed he had no consistency and drive to play a full game up and down ice. Also, he fully washes away the whole Matteau pick nonsense.

No more Josefson either.

Lots of good housecleaning by Shero over two years time.

Mr Bojanglez

Aug 17, 2007
From Jersey w/ Love
Shero and his front office had no attachment to Cammy. One of the final bad moves by Lou is off the roster.

DSP showed he had no consistency and drive to play a full game up and down ice. Also, he fully washes away the whole Matteau pick nonsense.

No more Josefson either.

Say what you will about his abilities now (and I still think you have to offer up the idea it was an aberration). That contract at the time was perfectly fine. We all knew the 5th year would be scary.

I guess it does come down to wanting to clean house, so we'll agree there. I'll agree with what others said about getting roster spots for others. If you're not in win-now mode, you're not going to keep a veteran around on this contract for a 3rd/4th line role.

I wouldn't be surprised if he pots 20ish goals next season. But i guess others are right, he'll get hurt and overall will just be unnecessary

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Lol... I don't know if it is saying much... but Cammalleri was easily the best free agent signing this organization has ever had. At least in terms of production he was.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

No more Josefson either.

Cammalleri was not a bad move.

He just became very expendable once the Hall trade went down.

Traitor Zach

Released from Glory
Jan 29, 2012
Northeast

He was 32 and we gave him 5 yr term. It was certainly not a good move overall when you look at scope. Did he have a great 1st season? Sure. Did it make a significant positive impact in the team being successful? Nope. He's declined significantly last two seasons.

Deals that make sense in a trigger happy panic frenzy which is what Lou was in that offseason never work out.

Volchenkov was a much better FA signing than Cammalleri. Volch was a big part of our good PK for a couple years and was a key stalwart D on our Cup run.

Mr Bojanglez

Aug 17, 2007
From Jersey w/ Love
He was 32 and we gave him 5 yr term. It was certainly not a good move overall when you look at scope. Did he have a great 1st season? Sure. Did it make a significant positive impact in the team being successful? Nope. He's declined significantly last two seasons.

Deals that make sense in a trigger happy panic frenzy which is what Lou was in that offseason never work out.

Volchenkov was a much better FA signing than Cammalleri. Volch was a big part of our good PK for a couple years and was a key stalwart D on our Cup run.

Last 2 years? He was gangbusters last season for the first 3 months. As always was his MO, he was productive when healthy.

As far as Volch -
That playoff run was also the one year out of his contract we made the playoffs, on a team that was pretty stacked to begin with.

Cammalleri had far less to work with. You could argue he was an unnecessary signing, and postponed an inevitable rebuild, but it was not a bad deal.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree.

Last edited:

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Volchenkov couldn't skate from day 1 of his arrival. It was painfully obvious. Ottawa fans told us how much he had slowed before he got here and it was 100% true. Tallinder was a much better signing. He at least served as a #1 all around Dman for a while until injuries hit him pretty hard.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
People gloss over how much they liked the Ryder and Cammy signings. Go back to those threads.

The Clowe deal was bad and Sal and Zubrus probably should have been gone earlier. But even those didn't hamstring us from doing anything.

Shero is being smart and in his presser it was obvious why Cammy, Bennett, DSP and Josefson aren't back. They're all players who sink to the occasion and don't push back. Every single one of them is basically a peripheral scorer except...three of them don't even score.

Most players you get from UFA are the same types of players. The solution is not there.

Mr Bojanglez

Aug 17, 2007
From Jersey w/ Love
People gloss over how much they liked the Ryder and Cammy signings. Go back to those threads.

The Clowe deal was bad and Sal and Zubrus probably should have been gone earlier. But even those didn't hamstring us from doing anything.

Shero is being smart and in his presser it was obvious why Cammy, Bennett, DSP and Josefson aren't back. They're all players who sink to the occasion and don't push back. Every single one of them is basically a peripheral scorer except...three of them don't even score.

Most players you get from UFA are the same types of players. The solution is not there.

I'm sure i'll still be in the minority on this one. But that Ryder signing at that time was very good. It was his standard contract. 2 years at $3,5m each. Who could have known he would **** the bed as quickly as he did. With his history at that point, and if we were in a similar situation, I'd be happy to do that agin.

Just cause a contract doesn't work out, doesn't necessarily mean it was bad at the time of its signing.

The Zubrus contract? No, that was never a good one. It never had the chance to be good. The best we could do was hope it got to 'tolerable' towards the last two years.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I liked both the Ryder and Brunner deals. Both were coming off productive seasons, both were cheap and short term deals. I liked them too much, said I would have gone longer on term.

Did not like either Clowe or Camm. Old oft injured guys on long term deals. That's just dumb.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

Nothing to do with Hall. Had to do with him going from oft injured but productive to oft injured, uninterested and unproductive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad