Post-Game Talk: Came out in the wash with a win

SnipeShowJB11

Jul 8, 2022
Couldn't watch this one. From the numbers, MTL steamrolled Edmonton 5 on 5. 65-35% possession.

Something that will make us 1st or 2nd round fodder. They never change their sysytem. Not a great ES team even when fully healthy.

I think just improving the D so we don't have fire drills left and right will turn those #'s around a lot as well.

Did not know Mcleod was out long term. Oilers always say short term and then it changes.

Calgary beat this same MTL team 66%-33% in posession.

Massive red flag that we do not seem to correct overall. We should be top 10 in ES play

We are ranked 26th in 5 on 5 goal differential with a -10

Seattle and Vegas are +17 and +13 for comparison. Massive difference. Oilers are f***** if no penalties are called in the playoffs

Improving this # is the only thing that would excite me. Also the PK

Last edited:

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Any word on Foegle or Yam? I know Mcleod isnt close.

https://forums.hfboards.com/threads/injury-thread-22-‘23-post-1-has-current-injury-status.2901194/

I keep Post 1 updated all the time. Last post in the thread is always latest reported info

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Couldn't watch this one. From the numbers, MTL steamrolled Edmonton 5 on 5. 65-35% possession.

Something that will make us 1st or 2nd round fodder. They never change their sysytem. Not a great ES team even when fully healthy.

I think just improving the D so we don't have fire drills left and right will turn those #'s around a lot as well.

Did not know Mcleod was out long term. Oilers always say short term and then it changes.

Calgary beat this same MTL team 66%-33% in posession.

Massive red flag that we do not seem to correct overall. We should be top 10 in ES play

We are ranked 26th in 5 on 5 goal differential with a -10

Seattle and Vegas are +17 and +13 for comparison. Massive difference. Oilers are f***** if no penalties are called in the playoffs

Improving this # is the only thing that would excite me. Also the PK

Everyone knows the D needs to improve. The PK is terrible

But, they are down an entire third line including their 3C and down PKers as well. That’s not to mention one of their most important forwards in Kane, who allows them to spread the wealth more effectively (can run Nuge or Hyman on a third line with him in)

The 5v5 numbers will be rough until they start getting players back from injury. Right now they’re running 2 NHL players (at best) in their bottom 6. I’m counting Kostin and Holloway as the two (Ryan is washed up). So if some are less generous and don’t count those two, you could say they currently have 0 NHL players on the bottom 6

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Ceci + Bouchard + Barrie cannot be the right side D on a team that a legit championship contender. I think that's a huge problem too.

No offence to Ceci and Barrie, but the fact is the Leafs were a bottom 4 team in the NHL for goals against the one year they were there. As soon as they left the Leafs goals against improved massively.

And Bouchard is probably worse defensively than those two. Not a good combination.

Zegras is still a 70+ point pace player leading the Ducks in scoring while also on pace for about 30 goals.

If he was here he'd be lighting up the league with McDavid or Draisaitl.
They all three can. Barri3 and Bouchard are threats, playing Ds. If they only find one more steady D to cover up, and that broberg and Kulak doesnt need to play like a 3rd D on the team. Kulak should excel in a 5D role, ehen he is a 4D. Playing in a role that isnt above his head.

Everyone, even brad Holland can forsee this. But not his dad, Kenny.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
It was commented on numerous times during the draft that beyond Hughes it was difficult to tell which players drove the play on that powerhouse USNTP team. A team selecting between 5-20 could draft a Caufield/Boldy or Turcotte/York.
Yeah I remember that I just never understood how the guy finishing the plays was the one who fell. Finishing skills are an individual thing a guy who can score will always be a good scorer.

Ceci + Bouchard + Barrie cannot be the right side D on a team that a legit championship contender. I think that's a huge problem too.

No offence to Ceci and Barrie, but the fact is the Leafs were a bottom 4 team in the NHL for goals against the one year they were there. As soon as they left the Leafs goals against improved massively.

And Bouchard is probably worse defensively than those two. Not a good combination.

Zegras is still a 70+ point pace player leading the Ducks in scoring while also on pace for about 30 goals.

If he was here he'd be lighting up the league with McDavid or Draisaitl.
Troy Terry leads the ducks in scoring who no one talks about for some reason but is a way better player than zegras. I wouldn’t have minded zegras but caufeild to me was the guy he might have scored 50 here.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
It was commented on numerous times during the draft that beyond Hughes it was difficult to tell which players drove the play on that powerhouse USNTP team. A team selecting between 5-20 could draft a Caufield/Boldy or Turcotte/York.
Any scout saying that should be fired, IMO.

It was blatantly obvious who projected to be NHLers on that team.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
I hope Yamamoto is just a placeholder for Hyman.

I'd imagine Hyman's neck needs some attention. His forehead was bleeding, but his neck would have taken a bunch of the force in that position. Hopefully there's no concussion symptoms and he's good to go tomorrow, but it wouldn't surprise me if he needs a game or two off to recover even though he finished the game.

Also, regarding a suspension, it's not like you could argue that Edmundson's stick rode up and that's why he cross-checked Hyman in the neck. The first cross check was in the shoulder, the second one was clearly going to be in the head/neck area, and yet Edmundson extends his arms and cross-checks Hyman anyway. It wasn't a light cross-check either. Watch the replay, Edmundson loads his legs and springs forward so all of his weight/force is going through his stick into Hyman's head/neck. It's a lapse in judgement by Edmundson and it's lucky Hyman apparently wasn't injured worse. It doesn't mean the DOPS should let Edmundson off though. It's careless use of the stick. If you set a weak standard then players are going to be more careless with their cross-checks because they don't think they'll get suspended, and then eventually somebody is going to get seriously injured.

Reactions: Duke74 and Oilhawks

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Any scout saying that should be fired, IMO.

It was blatantly obvious who projected to be NHLers on that team.
I don’t know. There’s a reason Turcotte was ranked so high he was essentially the Patrice Bergeron of the team. I’m surprised Boldy has turned out better.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I don’t know. There’s a reason Turcotte was ranked so high he was essentially the Patrice Bergeron of the team. I’m surprised Boldy has turned out better.
I really liked Turcotte. Injuries have kind of derailed him I think. Boldy was always my guy though.

I wish we would draft more guys like him. Just tons of smarts and skill.

Reactions: DarksideGhost

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
The team doesn't get good press, McDavid and Draisatil do though. Both have pretty viral exchanges with Biz.

And honestly I don't think OEG gives a flying f*** what Biz says, he'll just get his head shaved again.
My hot hairdresser was the one that shaved Biz's head and she went viral from it and moved to Toronto. Thanks Biz. Dick.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Everyone knows the D needs to improve. The PK is terrible

But, they are down an entire third line including their 3C and down PKers as well. That’s not to mention one of their most important forwards in Kane, who allows them to spread the wealth more effectively (can run Nuge or Hyman on a third line with him in)

The 5v5 numbers will be rough until they start getting players back from injury. Right now they’re running 2 NHL players (at best) in their bottom 6. I’m counting Kostin and Holloway as the two (Ryan is washed up). So if some are less generous and don’t count those two, you could say they currently have 0 NHL players on the bottom 6
It’s actually a minor miracle that the team is somehow 14-11 through an insanely tough schedule with lots of injuries and only one reliable goalie. Especially considering they were one period away from being below .500 and spiralling into the abyss of 2017-2018 all over again.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
Pretty much. The Oilers play Monday/Wednesday/Friday against Washington, Arizona and Minnesota.

I'd like to see Skinner get all three starts. Then the Oilers have two games off and play Nashville and Minnesota back to back on the road.

Gotta give Campbell one of the back to backs.

That rotation is what gives the Oilers the best chance to win at this point.
Definitely

Reactions: Harry Curry

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Patheic??
It’s actually a minor miracle that the team is somehow 14-11 through an insanely tough schedule with lots of injuries and only one reliable goalie. Especially considering they were one period away from being below .500 and spiralling into the abyss of 2017-2018 all over again.
Most of the credit goes to McDrai though, as they've been superhuman keeping the team afloat. McDavid in particular has put the team on his back most nights.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Yeah I remember that I just never understood how the guy finishing the plays was the one who fell. Finishing skills are an individual thing a guy who can score will always be a good scorer.

Troy Terry leads the ducks in scoring who no one talks about for some reason but is a way better player than zegras. I wouldn’t have minded zegras but caufeild to me was the guy he might have scored 50 here.

That's not strictly true. Ethan Moreau scored 54 goals and 98 points in 56 games in the WHL during his draft year. Yakupov broke Stamkos' goal scoring record in Sarnia.

A good scorer at a lower level isn't always a good scorer at the NHL level.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
That's not strictly true. Ethan Moreau scored 54 goals and 98 points in 56 games in the WHL during his draft year. Yakupov broke Stamkos' goal scoring record in Sarnia.

A good scorer at a lower level isn't always a good scorer at the NHL level.
It was actually only 44 goals Moreau scored in 59 games. I’m not sure what record yak broke stamkos scored way more than him.

Edit: looked it up it was most goal by a rookie. The thing is stamkos scored even more the next year while Yak got injured and paced for about the same so that’s a red flag right there.

Sheikyerbouti

ShakeyerMcBooty
Nov 4, 2006
Van isle
People are overrating the Kraken imo

Good record so far but I've watched most of their games and they look like a bubble team on a hot streak to me.

They are just outscoring their mistakes which we've seen before in spurts as oilers fans. Vegas is legit but I'd be shocked if LA and Seattle are ahead of us by seasons end

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
I'd imagine Hyman's neck needs some attention. His forehead was bleeding, but his neck would have taken a bunch of the force in that position. Hopefully there's no concussion symptoms and he's good to go tomorrow, but it wouldn't surprise me if he needs a game or two off to recover even though he finished the game.

Also, regarding a suspension, it's not like you could argue that Edmundson's stick rode up and that's why he cross-checked Hyman in the neck. The first cross check was in the shoulder, the second one was clearly going to be in the head/neck area, and yet Edmundson extends his arms and cross-checks Hyman anyway. It wasn't a light cross-check either. Watch the replay, Edmundson loads his legs and springs forward so all of his weight/force is going through his stick into Hyman's head/neck. It's a lapse in judgement by Edmundson and it's lucky Hyman apparently wasn't injured worse. It doesn't mean the DOPS should let Edmundson off though. It's careless use of the stick. If you set a weak standard then players are going to be more careless with their cross-checks because they don't think they'll get suspended, and then eventually somebody is going to get seriously injured.
Fake news. The way you explain it, the NHL DOP would have certainly suspended Edmundson. Yes, what a joke.😁

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad