Player Discussion Cam Talbot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I thought trading for Fleury was a good move under the circumstances. In a sense it was a low-perectage shot, but it was the best option available to improve one of the team's biggest weaknesses. With the way the team performed in the regular season and the ugly cap situation going forward, it was hard to justify not taking that shot.

Talbot has every reason to be ticked about how things worked out, but that's largely moot when it comes to the decisions that were made.

Bigger picture I don't think the situation in goal next year matters all that much. Burning a bridge with Talbot isn't ideal, but the reality is that finding a cheaper replacement might not be the worst thing anyway. I thought he played okay this year, but not okay enough to worry about finding another okay goalie to get us through a non-competitive season where we're just waiting on Wallstedt anyway.

Reactions: TaLoN

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I thought trading for Fleury was a good move under the circumstances. In a sense it was a low-perectage shot, but it was the best option available to improve one of the team's biggest weaknesses. With the way the team performed in the regular season and the ugly cap situation going forward, it was hard to justify not taking that shot.

Talbot has every reason to be ticked about how things worked out, but that's largely moot when it comes to the decisions that were made.

Bigger picture I don't think the situation in goal next year matters all that much. Burning a bridge with Talbot isn't ideal, but the reality is that finding a cheaper replacement might not be the worst thing anyway. I thought he played okay this year, but not okay enough to worry about finding another okay goalie to get us through a non-competitive season where we're just waiting on Wallstedt anyway.
Apparently, Talbot didn't think any bridges were burnt, wants to stay.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Apparently, Talbot didn't think any bridges were burnt, wants to stay.

Good to have the option to keep him around, then. I'm not sure what the free agent goalie market looks like, but I still wouldn't be averse to moving Talbot and signing someone cheaper for the next two years. Seems unlikely, though.

Reactions: TaLoN

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I always thought it was smart to keep him through next year, while Wallstedt tears his ass off down in the AHL.
Fleury can go away.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
I always thought it was smart to keep him through next year, while Wallstedt tears his ass off down in the AHL.
Fleury can go away.
agree. Fleury can go elsewhere, give Talbot the net and let some of our AHL goalies rotate up if we cant find a serviceable back up.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
agree. Fleury can go elsewhere, give Talbot the net and let some of our AHL goalies rotate up if we cant find a serviceable back up.
If we're not going for it, I don't care who backs up, competent or not, as long as Wallstedt gets plenty of action (and hopefully development) in Iowa. Give Stalock a call, he may not be any good anymore, but he's at least fun to watch. Heck, those zamboni drivers are always a hit, we could have one in net for the whole season.

Reactions: DeagleJenkins

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
If we're not going for it, I don't care who backs up, competent or not, as long as Wallstedt gets plenty of action (and hopefully development) in Iowa. Give Stalock a call, he may not be any good anymore, but he's at least fun to watch. Heck, those zamboni drivers are always a hit, we could have one in net for the whole season.
true if its a throw in season do that but i cant see that being broadcasted to the fans in such a way. we almost have to spend at least 2m on a backup just to not appear tanking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad