Player Discussion Cam Talbot

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAMRG

Feb 7, 2021
As a Talbot fan, I wish you all the best with him and hope that he pleasantly surprises those of you that aren't keen on his signing. He's got some very nice career playoff numbers in addition to his solid career regular season stats, and at 2.40/0.920 so far, he's off to a nice start. Here's hoping Edmonton's decision to bail on him is Minnesota's gain. Just hoping he gets a mask to match those retro North Stars beauts.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Playoff goalie performance has always been somewhat of a struggle for us, so hopefully he’s able to help out in that department.

I think most fans in Minnesota were happy/content with his signing. I personally thought he got a little too much for a 3 year contract in the COVID era, but it wasn’t a significant overpay. I’ve liked his game and think he and Kahkonen could be a great tandem over the next few years. Both goalies have looked like ones you can rely on to make that first save. Minnesota’s defensive zone play is the best in the league at limiting High-Danger shots, so I’m expecting Talbot will excel.

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
Ill be honest, i wasnt thrilled by this signing. There were better goalies on the market, and although talbot is serviceable, an elite goalie with elite d corps = good things. Talbot hasnt looked bad, but he hasnt been amazing either. I feel like this is a stopgap until we have a better option.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Ill be honest, i wasnt thrilled by this signing. There were better goalies on the market, and although talbot is serviceable, an elite goalie with elite d corps = good things. Talbot hasnt looked bad, but he hasnt been amazing either. I feel like this is a stopgap until we have a better option.

Who was available that you would've preferred over Talbot?

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
well for one MAF was on the block. wouldnt have minded markstrom either
I worry about MAF's ability to play at a high level the whole season let alone two as the primary starter.

I think Markstrom is a good goalie, but it would be a tough pill to swallow to pay 5+mil long-term. Goalies can turn bad in one year.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I think the assumption that taking on MAF would have also netted us some draft picks, or a nice prospect. VGK would've rather have done that than trade Schmidt, i would guess.

Tyler Durden

Sep 18, 2009
So much for Cam being the solidified # 1 goalie after those 2 loses to Vegas. Back to split starts with Kahkonen we go. It will probably be Kahkonen on Friday vs Coyotes. Then Talbot on Saturday vs Yotes. And most likely Kahkonen on Monday vs Vegas.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
So much for Cam being the solidified # 1 goalie after those 2 loses to Vegas. Back to split starts with Kahkonen we go. It will probably be Kahkonen on Friday vs Coyotes. Then Talbot on Saturday vs Yotes. And most likely Kahkonen on Monday vs Vegas.
eh i hardly blame those losses on Cam. The Wild didn't register a shot on goal for the last 11 mins of the first game. second game was just bad luck. He only gave up 3 real goals. that is expected from time to time to good teams. Did people forget Kaapo blew a three goal lead the game before?

I think we should go back to Kaapo but lets not overreact over Talbot.

A Bundy

Mar 3, 2021
I love Talbot. Poise. He was better than Lundqvist in Rangers IMO when they where there together. They should have kept him and traded Lundqvist instead...and saved some 6.5 million in cap space.

Last edited:

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
eh i hardly blame those losses on Cam. The Wild didn't register a shot on goal for the last 11 mins of the first game. second game was just bad luck. He only gave up 3 real goals. that is expected from time to time to good teams. Did people forget Kaapo blew a three goal lead the game before?

I think we should go back to Kaapo but lets not overreact over Talbot.
And they didn't give up a shot in the first 11 minutes. Talbot looked good in his first game back, but he's looked just okay since. Kahkonen has earned regular starts.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Talbot has been excellent. I hardly blame Talbot for us giving up infinite odd-man rushes

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I don't have a big problem with Talbot so far, but I did find it weird that he would get another start over Kahk after letting in 5 goals. It's not like Big Kahk was on winning streak or anything.:rolleyes:

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Ha. Dual bump.
I’m just kinda looking at potential awards right now as the season winds down. I think Evason has a real chance at the COY and Kapriov obviously has a good chance at ROY. I think Talbot could be a vezina finalist. I think Kaprizov will get a vote or two for the Hart. Guerin will probably get a fair amount of votes for GM of the year, too.

Cory Kennedy

Mar 24, 2018
Ontario
Cam Talbot puts up his argued best playoff performance in his career putting up a 42 save shutout against the Golden Knights. Thoughts?

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
He definitely just won that game for us. MAF made some massive saves - MAF certainly made bigger saves, but Talbot was rock solid. Phenomenal performance there.

Reactions: Digitalbooya

Prior

Jan 18, 2020
Was great to see after a frustrating few years in the playoffs of not having a goaltender who can survive a period and keep the team in it while they find their game.

Reactions: Digitalbooya
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad