Player Discussion Cam Talbot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cory Kennedy

Mar 24, 2018
Ontario
Note: I think I misworded it to some people. I wasn't calling Cam Talbot a "Problem" as in hes a bad goaltender because that is obviously far from the truth especially after that 42 save shutout performance. I meant he's gonna be a problem for other teams in the playoffs.

A Bundy

Mar 3, 2021
Awesome game. Think must be the best value for money GK in the league? Just love his calmness and positioning. Bet if MAC and him changed sides in this game, Fleury would still have a handfull "game changing saves" while the outcome would be very similar.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
Talbot is fantastic and does what a good goalie should: steal games in the playoffs.

Goaltending looks fantastic and the team is "fast and exciting", but for me the thing I'm ecstatic about is the INSANE 5-man forecheck and defense. Even experienced players like Stone & Pietrangelo had bad giveaways when there was minimum time&space.

No offense to Wild goalies, but the way team is currently aggressively defending will make even a mediocre goalie look like a great one (and Talbot is not mediocre!).

Reactions: A Bundy

Embryo

LGR Check out my music.
Oct 7, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
www.youtube.com
Hey Rangers fan here, been a NY Rangers fan since Minnesota North Stars had Jon Casey as their starting goaltender. I love this team and I am SOOOO HAPPY for my man CAM TALBOT!! He backed up Lundqvist on our 2 Stanley Cup runs (one we lost Game 7 ECF to Tampa in 2015) and he was amazing and I'm so proud and happy for him! I hope you guys go all the way!!

Cam Talbot was the best backup Henrik Lundqvist ever had, so happy for him, we loved him in NY and miss him.

Last edited by a moderator:

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
I don't blame him at all for his bad performance last night. Well, a little I suppose. Have to stop that Leddy shot.

But he got screwed the way they did him after the season he had.

And I know some of you think he is a bum who lucked into the ASG, but I disagree. I think he performed admirably this season.

Bringing in MAF didn't make sense to me and it caused more trouble than it solved.

Reactions: shadow1

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I don't blame him at all for his bad performance last night. Well, a little I suppose. Have to stop that Leddy shot.

And I know some of you think he is a bum who lucked into the ASG, but I disagree. I think he performed admirably this season.

Bringing in MAF didn't make sense to me and it caused more trouble than it solved.

I just don’t hold any regard for all star selections, especially with what the current format is.

Reactions: DeagleJenkins

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008

Fleury is a Hall of Famer, and seems like a class guy. Has he made a big save since the one on Nik Lidstrom in 2009? Oh yeah, the one on Kaprizov in the playoffs last year. Point being, I like Guerin as a GM but I do think he's emotional. He remembered that save and figured Fleury might have a little of that magic.

Talbot also seems like a great guy and teammate but I would agree with his wife that it was a pretty unfair move for a veteran to lose his job, especially when the likely upside was negligible.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
I get her frustration, but that's not something to say publically. It's a business and right or wrong, management thought they needed a goalie upgrade. If it had worked, none of you are agreeing with Talbot's wife. It didn't work so now she's not wrong.
Odd way to look at it IMO.

Reactions: JBurd1

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I get her frustration, but that's not something to say publically. It's a business and right or wrong, management thought they needed a goalie upgrade. If it had worked, none of you are agreeing with Talbot's wife. It didn't work so now she's not wrong.
Odd way to look at it IMO.

You can play the results, once the results are in. Doesn't mean you have to completely disregard the process, but we have new, complete information now.

I didn't mind the Fleury trade, because our goalies weren't playing well enough at the time. But after the trade, fact is that Talbot outperformed Fleury and it wasn't all that close. A lot of what Dean-o's message has been is 'players get what the earn', and this decision really flew in the face of that.

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
His wife is probably expressing his thoughts and feelings because he would never do it publicly

I understand the MAF trade it just didnt pan out the way we and the team would have hoped

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
You can play the results, once the results are in. Doesn't mean you have to completely disregard the process, but we have new, complete information now.

I didn't mind the Fleury trade, because our goalies weren't playing well enough at the time. But after the trade, fact is that Talbot outperformed Fleury and it wasn't all that close. A lot of what Dean-o's message has been is 'players get what the earn', and this decision really flew in the face of that.
Maybe he did, but as I've said all along, I look at Talbot's numbers against the Blues and they are terrible. I understand the need to upgrade the position based on a matchup we have to get passed and he hasn't been good enough. I don't think starting Talbot from the jump changes anything in this series.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Fleury is a Hall of Famer, and seems like a class guy. Has he made a big save since the one on Nik Lidstrom in 2009? Oh yeah, the one on Kaprizov in the playoffs last year. Point being, I like Guerin as a GM but I do think he's emotional. He remembered that save and figured Fleury might have a little of that magic.

Talbot also seems like a great guy and teammate but I would agree with his wife that it was a pretty unfair move for a veteran to lose his job, especially when the likely upside was negligible.
His trading for Fleury and re-signing Goligoski for another TWO years shows an unhealthy attachment to the past. His wife should probably stay off twitter, but I don't totally disagree with her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad