Confirmed with Link: Cam Talbot Signed To 3-Year Extension (AAV: $4.17M, Limited NMC)

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
It's an exceptionally bad contract. Probably the worst value contract the Oilers have signed since Andrew Ference.

Now all that's left to do is hope that Cam Talbot is for real. Predictability and consistency are very hard to find with goaltenders.

dem

Mar 17, 2002
Jesus you guys are cheap.

Under 4.5m is more than reasonable for your starting goalie. But then again, what should I expect.. This club hasn't had a starting goalie since Roloson... 10 years ago.

And we don't know if this club has one now.

It wasn't that long ago than Nilsson was king around here.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Ah that extra 650K....that's a little rich for Talbot.

Was hoping he wouldn't hop 3.5, ended up hopping 4.

Only 85 GP of NHL experience too to go off from.

Shouldn't be too bad as long as the backup, whether it's Nilsson or Brossoit, is 1M or under.

Last edited:

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
We have 8 regulation wins. Talbot and Nilsson have played a big part in a lot of our wins.

The problem is they've both played a part in some of our losses as well.

Our team SV% is .907. That's 23rd in the league. Not great. Easily masked by the fact that both men had extended stretches of good hockey.

Mcwinner

Jul 9, 2015
Love this Deal!!

Talbot has been playing lights out after a rocky start, which most new players do after starting with a new team. He has kept us in most games this year with a below average defence playing in front of him. This Means we should have our goaltenders for around 5.35 million a year. Not bad.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
It's an exceptionally bad contract. Probably the worst value contract the Oilers have signed since Andrew Ference.

Now all that's left to do is hope that Cam Talbot is for real. Predictability and consistency are very hard to find with goaltenders.

I donno if I'd go with exceptionally bad. They really did seem to pony up on the nmc/ntc though. But the Jones contract for example isn't really a comparable. Rfa vs ufa.

MPStoEberletoHall*

Definitely a risk. I'm ok with risks though, considering we haven't had a solid goalie in forever

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
I donno if I'd go with exceptionally bad. They really did seem to pony up on the nmc/ntc though. But the Jones contract for example isn't really a comparable. Rfa vs ufa.

Bad term, like 75% higher AAV than I thought was reasonable, no-trade.

Don't care about the UFA years thing with goaltenders. They grow on trees and have, at best, 3-4 potential places to play. They don't have the leverage a forward or D has.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
4.17 is a great AAV for us going forward. His save % behind the worst D in the NHL says enough. This guy has been lights out the past month and was outstanding all last year. He could be a top 10 goalie in the NHL.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011

It's not exceptionally bad. It's just much closer to what he would have gotten in UFA. That means he's overpaid by a little given the risk but he's got all the leverage. It still has the possibility of being a bargain if he becomes a perennial starter - and he does have that potential.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
4.17 is a great AAV for us going forward. His save % behind the worst D in the NHL says enough. This guy has been lights out the past month and was outstanding all last year. He could be a top 10 goalie in the NHL.

Not sure a correlation exists between bad defenses and low save percentages.

Teams that allow the fewest shots tend to have goaltenders with the lower save percentages because they're not facing enough low percentage shots.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

:nod:

Would have liked to keep it under 4M, but He has been amazing lately after a rough start. Hoping to see him get 60 games for the next few years as they break in LB.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Not sure a correlation exists between bad defenses and low save percentages.

Teams that allow the fewest shots tend to have goaltenders with the lower save percentages because they're not facing enough low percentage shots.

Bad defenses give up more high quality shots.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Bad term, like 75% higher AAV than I thought was reasonable, no-trade.

Don't care about the UFA years thing with goaltenders. They grow on trees and have, at best, 3-4 potential places to play. They don't have the leverage a forward or D has.

What's wrong with the term?

Husker Du

Sponsor
Mar 18, 2012
Edmonton
The problem is they've both played a part in some of our losses as well.

Our team SV% is .907. That's 23rd in the league. Not great. Easily masked by the fact that both men had extended stretches of good hockey.

Is this a bad thing?

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
About 3 thousand dollars more than I would have like but it's ok. :sarcasm:

Slatsmsg

Jul 14, 2011
Airdrie

100% agree...this will feel like a value once we have a competent defence in front of him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad