Player Discussion Cam Talbot (G)

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Before July 1:
To Car: Joseph LW/RW
To Ott: Andersen G ( agrees to extension - $4 X 3)

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Andersen would be fantastic. The Leafs were fools not to re-sign him.
Andersen is a UFA, Raanta is cheaper & their 3rd goalie who is also good is already sgned for another 2 yrs. My guess is that Car re-signs Raanta & let's Andersen walk. By trading for him before he hits the open market gives you the chance to sign him to an extension at a decent price before he hits the market so you don't have to compete for him plus Ottawa gets to unload Joseph's contract & Car will need another RW with a few of their guys leaving. Joseph also fits into their speed game & he's in his prime.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I'd be fine to take a run at Andersen. The leafs should've kept him and never assembled a quality defense in front of him.

I think he's going to be looking for a $4million aav deal tho, not sure if we can afford that

boxbox

Sep 8, 2022
So, there seems to be misunderstanding of the stat here.

The per 60 stat is per 60 mins on the PK, so if you've take one penalty 10 penalties or 100, you can still use it to see the average shots you allow in a single penalty by dividing by thirty. Being a team that takes more or less penalties doesn't affect per 60 stats, that's the point, it allows you to directly compare two teams numbers.

Looking at goalies with 30+ games, Talbot has the 9th best sv% out of 41 goalies, that's not decent, it's very good. He has the 2nd best GAA better than expected, that's his actual xGAA minus actual GAA, and it essentially does the work for you and takes into account shot quality.
Thank you for explaining that. Wouldn't a PK based stat loose credibility if the per 60 min is applied to it ? There must be a difference in terms of stats and results based on the effects of fatigue alone when the PK is killing 5 penalties or 10 penalties.

The 9th best SV% is for the time on the PK correct ? This per 60 min is a bit misleading I find, since you can have a goalie spend less time on the PK vs a goalie that spends a lot of time on the PK. Who is not to say the stats for the goalie initially spending less time on the PK would improve over a larger sample size.

For me this was never about if he was able to; I know hes a capable goalie, For me it was about the negative effect and my belief that he had very little in terms of positive impact on things that went well.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I'm wondering what the aav was that Talbot wanted.

But hoping this chapter is closed. Good luck wherever you go Cam.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Interesting that the offer was made in Jan, that's before his season went to crap, he had a .905 sv% before getting hurt in Jan, finished the year under 900.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
What an awful, shortsighted trade.

Minny is better defensively for sure, but our goalie of the future was tossed aside for nothing. Really sets our team back, as if Gus was just healthier than Cam this year could possibly have had us sneak into the playoffs.

Spilled milk and all that but I hated this from the start and it will sting for a while.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria

Minny is better defensively for sure, but our goalie of the future was tossed aside for nothing. Really sets our team back, as if Gus was just healthier than Cam this year could possibly have had us sneak into the playoffs.

Spilled milk and all that but I hated this from the start and it will sting for a while.
Let Soogard soothe you, he’s always been the goalie of the future :)

Merri might push as well, so apply that balm to lessen the sting!

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Let Soogard soothe you, he’s always been the goalie of the future :)

Merri might push as well, so apply that balm to lessen the sting!
I like both of them but having Gus here would have us in a good spot for next year with no question that Mads and Leevi would be sharing the load in Belleville. Plus I do think he could have been the difference for us this year.

But I won't keep harping on it here.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I like both of them but having Gus here would have us in a good spot for next year with no question that Mads and Leevi would be sharing the load in Belleville. Plus I do think he could have been the difference for us this year.

I’m definitely not arguing with your base point, just trying to pass the sauce ;)

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
It's having BOTH Forsberg and Talbot that rubbed me the wrong way. If you don't trust Forsberg enough that you feel you need to trade for Talbot why do you even sign Forsberg in the first place? If you trust Forsberg enough to sign him to that contract why do you need to trade your goalie prospect for someone to take away starts from Forsberg?

Snowwy

Jan 29, 2006
It's having BOTH Forsberg and Talbot that rubbed me the wrong way. If you don't trust Forsberg enough that you feel you need to trade for Talbot why do you even sign Forsberg in the first place? If you trust Forsberg enough to sign him to that contract why do you need to trade your goalie prospect for someone to take away starts from Forsberg?
I think the days of one starter playing all the games is gone for the majority of the teams in the league.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
This is my feeling exactly, we gave him a borderline starter contract,

Reactions: DrEasy and bicboi64

Snowwy

Jan 29, 2006
Forsberg + Gus

Talbot + Hellberg + $$$ saved on Forsberg
I preferred Hellberg too. I’m not saying they had the right goalies. I just think the idea of one goalie playing 65 or 70 games is gone.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Thankfully we dodged some bullets regarding Talbot in the future. Too bad the deal went through this season though

2 wins 0.961 SV% in the playoffs. Imagine if he wins the Conn Smythe lol

That's why I say that Dorion is a one step forward two steps back GM. He will make some splash moves that will fool the average fan but also several smaller (big sometimes lol) bad decisions that will hold the team back or make the roster flawed

Sure coaching would have still been a problem but just Paul + Brown + top-9 Fwd + Chychrun + Gustavsson instead of DeBrincat + Joseph + any of Motte/Gambrell/Kelly + Holden/Hamonic + Talbot would have made a huge difference and the team would have been in the playoffs easily IMO, despite Norris and Formenton missing

By the time Sogaard and Merilainen are ready to make an impact, Chabot will be 30 y/o...

When you are trying to "get out of the rebuild", you can't afford things like that. It's a very competitive league

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad