Signing(s): Cam Newton to Patriots

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
For 1 year they would’ve been dumb not to sign him.

and same goes for Newton

Reactions: Voight

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Interesting...didn't see this coming.

Not a huge fan of Newton and not sure what he has left in the tank. Don't have any expectations here...

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Another for the "Dude what are you doing in that uniform?" category.

Not sure what he's got left but we'll see.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
This was the most obvious Cam landing spot all along since he can start. The Pats have one of the worst skill position groups in the NFL so who knows if it'll work but at least he'll have an opportunity.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Cam gets probably his last shot here as a starter. We don't know how badly damaged his throwing shoulder is. Obviously it looked way worse last season because the Panthers stupidly made him try to play through it but there's still the question if the shoulder is now a chronic issue or if having almost a full year off will be enough to heal it.

I will say this; Cam had a pretty craptacular group of skill players around him in Carolina at his peak. The guy can make wine out of water if he gets anywhere close to where he was.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I’m probably alone but I don’t like this for the Patriots. They should’ve given Stidham a shot to be the guy (might still get it), so they can know if they need to draft a top QB next year

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
I’m probably alone but I don’t like this for the Patriots. They should’ve given Stidham a shot to be the guy (might still get it), so they can know if they need to draft a top QB next year
I think he will have plenty of opportunity this season. Cam Newton is still a question mark. I think the last thing the wanted to do was just hand over the job to Stidham. I think the Pats would ideally like Stidham to sit for two years anyway. The ideal situation is Cam Newton plays like a top 5 or 10 QB and the Patriots make a run and then Newton walks and Stidham is given a shot next seaso ln

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Cam has always been wildly overrated, but I believe in Belichick & Co.'s ability to design a system around the players he has on the field, so I wouldn't be surprised if they win a ton of games again (although I don't expect it. Covid will probably hurt Cam/Patriots getting used to each other and probably won't work as well as it could have)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad