News Article: Cam Neely: Reconstructed Bruins ‘can be playoff team’ next year

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/...structed_bruins_can_be_playoff_team_next_year

“It was kind of an up-and-down few weeks for Don and the organization,” said Neely as he watched the B’s development camp this week at Ristuccia Arena.

In broad strokes, the B’s had a rough first day at NHL draft weekend – losing key regulars Dougie Hamilton and Milan Lucic and getting little or nothing in return that would help the B’s return to the playoffs next season.

Sweeney, Neely and the Bruins were mercilessly ripped by fans and media alike.

But as events continued to unfold over the ensuing days, it became clear the team had acquired a number of good prospects. It also had cleared cap space, and was able to trade for Jimmy Hayes and sign top free agent Matt Beleskey.

Suddenly, the perception of the team – and its management – changed 180 degrees.

“Don put a plan together that he thought we could at least try to execute,” said Neely. “We believed that if we did (execute the plan), we’d end up kind of where we are now: We’ve got some cap space, we have replenished our (prospects) system for sure, we feel really good about this past draft and the people we’ve brought in. We’re excited about the future.”

“There’s lots of parity in the East,” he said. “It’s going to be tight, it’s going to be a challenge. I think we can be a playoff team. I don’t want to sound like that’s our only goal – just to be a playoff team, that’s not a very high goal. We’re past that.

“But I want to see us improve certainly from were we were last year. I think if guys can continue to improve – (David) Pastrnak, (Brett) Connolly, (Ryan) Spooner -- I don’t see why we can’t have a very good year this year.”

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
So he's basically saying Rask is going to have the best season a goalie ever had.

Well, it worked for the Habs last year... That and a 100% healthy lineup... In the regular season I mean. :laugh:

As for the Bruins, like Neely said, it will be a very tight season in the East. Awful teams like Buffalo got better but to what point? Toronto, Carolina and NJ still aren't very good.

There are no real top teams besides TB and NYR. These two will be in unless a major collapse/awful season. All other teams have weakness and holes. IMO, this will be a dogfight between 10 teams (Bos-Ott-Mtl-Det-Flo-Pitt-Wsh-Clb-NYI-Phi) for the last 6 playoffs spot. And the margin may not very big between all of them.

We'll see. We have one of the best G in the conference. Rask could backstop a bad team to the playoffs. Almost did last year with how abysmal that 14-15 was playing...

Not a Cup contender at all without major luck like the Habs in 1993. But a playoffs team? No doubt they are in that consideration. Just like the team I listed. 4 will miss and maybe more if Buf-Tor-NJ-Car surprise and have better season than anticipated...

Miroslav Klose*

I think Cameron Neely has been around for long enough to know that sometimes things will work out and sometimes they don't. The Boston Bruins can either have a great season, a bad season, or somewhere in between. No one really knows. I sure am excited to find out.

Danton Heineken

Howard Potts
Mar 11, 2007
Fall River
We'll know early if they're a playoff team or not. Cam's gonna give Clode until U.S. Thanksgiving, and if they're not in the mix by then, he and his staff are gone.

HeartsAlive

Apr 11, 2013
Connolly's stats are remarkably similar to Jordan Caron's. :popcorn:

Jordan Caron age 23-24 last 2 seasons 65 games played, 1 goal 2 assists. Healthy scratch most of the time.

Brett Connolly age 21-22 last 2 season 66 games played, 13 goals 5 assists. 57 points 66 games in the AHL in 13-14.

Brett Connolly has certainly not lived up to his draft stock, but he is no where near Caron territory yet.

ChargersRookie

Jun 30, 2014
Really, does he think they were 10 wins from a playoff spot?

As Get Smart would say the Bruins were this close to making the playoffs.

Does not appear that Neely will ever go out on a limb with what he says.

Mount Kramer Cameras

Jul 15, 2014
We'll know early if they're a playoff team or not. Cam's gonna give Clode until U.S. Thanksgiving, and if they're not in the mix by then, he and his staff are gone.

Claude's in it for the long haul. If they were gonna get rid of him they would've done it during this cleaning up phase we've been through.

Salem13

Feb 6, 2008
Salem,Mass
Really, does he think they were 10 wins from a playoff spot?

As Get Smart would say the Bruins were this close to making the playoffs.

Does not appear that Neely will ever go out on a limb with what he says.

He's already going to be miss quoted and read into from 90 opposing angles so why not stay safe?

C77

Mar 12, 2009
Junior's Farm
Jordan Caron age 23-24 last 2 seasons 65 games played, 1 goal 2 assists. Healthy scratch most of the time.

Brett Connolly age 21-22 last 2 season 66 games played, 13 goals 5 assists. 57 points 66 games in the AHL in 13-14.

Brett Connolly has certainly not lived up to his draft stock, but he is no where near Caron territory yet.

If you account for Connolly's ice time advantage it's not much different.

Yea I know Connolly is and should be a better player than Caron but Spooner and Pastrnak are still learning the NHL game. Claude's decision to use Kelly over Spooner when Krejci was out last year doesn't look so good right now...nor was it any better then.

I'm not criticizing Neely but he's saying what a person in his position has to say and therefore it is not really valuable.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
A lot will have to go right, but weirder things have happened. Our goalie gives us a chance to win every game... Up to the rest of the guys.

Need rebound seasons from nearly everyone. We need Krejci to score 70 points with less help. Need Bergeron to be a 60-65 point player and win the Selke. Marchand needs 30 goals. Eriksson needs to continue to get better and put up 55-60 points. Pasta, Spooner, and Connolly need to improve. Beleskey and Hayes need to do more than talk, which is what Lucic and Smith were famous for.

I think there will be more effort this year, I think they'll be more of a team. You can't deny they were going through the motions last year. Time for everyone to have individual years like they did in 2013-14... If they want to make the playoffs that's their only option.

Miroslav Klose*

We'll know early if they're a playoff team or not.

I disagree. I think we'll know when the regular season is over or when they either clinch or are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs. It is very unlikely that this will happen early in the season, as there will still be several games left to be played.

HeartsAlive

Apr 11, 2013

Yea I know Connolly is and should be a better player than Caron but Spooner and Pastrnak are still learning the NHL game. Claude's decision to use Kelly over Spooner when Krejci was out last year doesn't look so good right now...nor was it any better then.

I'm not criticizing Neely but he's saying what a person in his position has to say and therefore it is not really valuable.

Caron averaged 8:02 and 10:55 Connolly got 12:09 and 11:56. So we're not talking about the difference between a second and a fourth liner here. Caron has 6 points since 2012. Connolly is nowhere near Caron territory yet, and I'm not even that high on Connolly.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Claude's in it for the long haul. If they were gonna get rid of him they would've done it during this cleaning up phase we've been through.

Claude was at DC in cargo shorts and sandels. He has a cnvertible for all I know it's an Aston Martin circa 1963.

That is a man with few worries and ready to lead.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I would be pretty happy with a 2007-2008 like team with the same type of effort and passion. Similar in the standings to last years team but miles apart in every other way.

Love this post LOVE IT haven't agreed with anything on here this much in a while couldn't have said it better myself I would take this every day of the week.

We have been getting rid of the WRONG guys from this perspective since we shipped out Wheeler for Peverley and won a Cup. Seguin was a blunder because they never treated him like a scoring center it wasn't even a ****ing thought/idea/option to play him in the pivot with skill players those boneheads seabass included got so full of themselves winning that Cup they figured Tyler had to turn into ****ing Lucic on the ice at wing and Bergeron off it or he wasn't "Bruins Material." Huge mistake to think we'd get leadership from our 4th line despite dumping Thornton just because his crappy linemates were old.

Shawn Thornton's turds have more leadership than Soderberg+Reilly Smith+Hamilton combined we got rid of the right cats who just show up and smile and pick up a paycheck.

CJDolan

Sep 17, 2012

Connolly has 18 points, Caron has 3 points. Did Brett Connolly get 6x as much ice time per game than Jordan Caron? That would be the ice time difference if that was actually the case.

Quite possibly the worst reasoning I have ever heard and frankly I have no idea how you came to that conclusion. Basic math man.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
That's loser talk.

I'd rather he be honest, than tell me me they are playing for the Stanley cup. He's being realistic. I guess you want him to blow smoke up your as#. They're a playoff bubble team. They may or may not. I like straight shooters.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
I would be pretty happy with a 2007-2008 like team with the same type of effort and passion. Similar in the standings to last years team but miles apart in every other way.

My thoughts exactly

Hell, Id be satisfied if they kicked the **** out of the Habs and a few others every game, lost every other game but gave it a valiant effort, finished the season with a perfect record against Montreal, Toronto, Pittsburgh and selected first overall...then selected again with the Sharks pick :naughty:

Ideally Id like to see the Sharks blow and the Bruins surprise and go on a run.

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008
I'm happy they're being realistic and seeing this as a process. Too many teams try and throw a bandaid on a festering wound and think "well that's fixed". Neely and Sweeney have identified a plan, an identity and have set realistic goals. The team has revamped it's process on drafting as well as developing. It has placed an emphasis on the will to win, to compete, to battle. This year is likely to have some serious ups and downs but 3 years from now if their full plan ever meets reality... Watch out NHL. The Bruins will be a fast, heavy team, exactly what so many of us here have been clamoring for the last couple of years.

Go B's!

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada

I got it as just the opposite actually. 4 new forward line combos, and as many as 3 new d-pairings. That doesn't simply just click out of camp, you've got to build that chemistry and play around with lines. If nothing else they're most likely to start well out of the playoffs and claw their way back in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad