Management Cam Neely - Bruins need to ‘flesh that out’ with regard to whether Zdeno Chara will be back

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
I think Chara still brings value defensively, physically, and with leadership. He played a huge part in installing the culture. I think he has earned the right to leave on his own. He hasn't fallen off the rails. He can still play, just differently. I think he will be missed when he is gone and we are watching Grizz, Zboril, and others get pushed around in front of their own net.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Where are you seeing $2.5M? Capfriendly has it capped at $2M.

Handing him a contract was a bit of a head scratcher, but it is structured pretty well for the team from a risk management perspective. If it is clear he can't play up to NHL standards before the first game, he doesn't dress and it is a $1M cap hit which can either be LTIR'd or parked on the taxi squad / sent to minors whatever.

Or, if he looks ok, they kick in another $250k to see him play 9 games and then decide whether or not to keep him and continue to make milestone payments. If you don't keep him, clear most if not all of the $1.25M cap hit right then.

A nice risk-managed solution in my eyes. If he plays 85% of where he was when he was injured, I'll take that and his leadership/ toughness for $2M considering the downside risk optionality.

Ok my bad it is 2M but when your giving a player that hasn't played in two years that much how can you offer Chara less? You can't and the truth is neither should get that much . Miller should have been given a .75M deal (personally as much as I loved this player I gave up on him ) and for Chara it's 1M . Take it or leave it.

This is the Covid era , look around, see what players are getting, nobody was gonna out bid you on Miller. Chara's time has come and especially with a condensed schedule he'll be cooked after 20 games. He can useful in a limited capacity but he has been over paid for years, enough of that.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
I think Chara still brings value defensively, physically, and with leadership. He played a huge part in installing the culture. I think he has earned the right to leave on his own. He hasn't fallen off the rails. He can still play, just differently. I think he will be missed when he is gone and we are watching Grizz, Zboril, and others get pushed around in front of their own net.

I do as well, but to me this year should be it. Bruins have all these prospects, time to give them a shot..

Reactions: Gordoff

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
All the people who are saying let Chara go/trade him are going to feel real silly when the injury bug bites the Bruins and we're putting 3 AHL defenders in the lineup and wishing we had a veteran defender to add some stability to the team.
NOT under the 2020/2021 guidelines, hence why the "taxi squad", Providence, and to a lesser extent, Jacksonville, aren't going to move the needle much....as compared to the past years....

MrKabukiman

Ne pas plonger!
Nov 12, 2007
Mass.
Responding to a previous post re: getting across the border: I guess its possible. I am aware of the travel ban but I am sure exceptions can be made. I am not a lawyer or politician, so who knows?

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Scary to think about this defense without Chara.

Not really

He is too slow. Big guy will be missed but he was a liability in the playoffs against Tampa

Bruins couldn't get going on offense because they just kept picking on Chara, plus Chara couldn't join on the rush or pinch in.

On one half of the ice, it was 5 on 4. You can't win like that. Not against a team like Tampa that won't give up an inch

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Not really

He is too slow. Big guy will be missed but he was a liability in the playoffs against Tampa

Bruins couldn't get going on offense because they just kept picking on Chara, plus Chara couldn't join on the rush or pinch in.

On one half of the ice, it was 5 on 4. You can't win like that. Not against a team like Tampa that won't give up an inch

No team has six two way defensemen. In fact, Tampa is exactly a reason to keep Chara around unless we wish to watch Gryz type players peeled from the ice with a spatula over and over.

The sole positive to Krug leaving is we only have one truly undersized defenseman currently.

On a team that has Moore and Miller, Chara absolutely has a spot.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
No team has six two way defensemen. In fact, Tampa is exactly a reason to keep Chara around unless we wish to watch Gryz type players peeled from the ice with a spatula over and over.

The sole positive to Krug leaving is we only have one truly undersized defenseman currently.

On a team that has Moore and Miller, Chara absolutely has a spot.

Let it go ...

Moore and Millers are at the bottom of the barrell in the lineup. Neely and Don doesn't really care about them, outside of spot minutes and leadership

Its about the 2 late lottery pick 1sts that have lived down at Providence , plus other youngsters ready to play a regular role

Grz McAvoy
Clifton Carlo
Lauzon Zboril/Vaaka
Moore Miller

You are worried about Grz getting ragdolled? Well then

Lauzon McAvoy
Grz Carlo
Clifton Miller

Good?

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Let it go ...

Moore and Millers are at the bottom of the barrell in the lineup. Neely and Don doesn't really care about them, outside of spot minutes and leadership

Its about the 2 late lottery pick 1sts that have lived down at Providence , plus other youngsters ready to play a regular role

Grz McAvoy
Clifton Carlo
Lauzon Zboril/Vaaka
Moore Miller

Lauzon McAvoy
Grz Carlo
Clifton Miller

Good?

It isn't bad but I play Chara over Clifton, Moore, and Miller without any hesitation.

We are relying an awful lot on unknowns. Vaakanainen. Zboril. Lauzon. Clifton.

If the Bruins are comfortable with that direction it is fine, but don't sell it as contending for a Cup.

Reactions: Oates2Neely

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Insanity to let Chara go play somewhere else. Insanity. Massive mistake to count this guy out.

I doubt he will play for someone else. I think his agent is posturing. If there are 20 teams asking/lining up. He should be able to raise his asking price to 5 million per season with guaranteed #1 LHD role. Maybe even tack on another year on the deal.

His agent is doing what a good agent is suppose to do. Ultimately he wants his role/money back as last season. Also stay as captain for the Bruins

But Bruins want to go in another direction. Maybe have him sit at the press box in case the team faces a slow physical team. Or become a special assistant coach. OR both, some kind of hybrid role

Last edited:

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
It isn't bad but I play Chara over Clifton, Moore, and Miller without any hesitation.

We are relying an awful lot on unknowns. Vaakanainen. Zboril. Lauzon. Clifton.

If the Bruins are comfortable with that direction it is fine, but don't sell it as contending for a Cup.

I don't see Clifton or Lauzon as unknowns.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Let it go ...

Grz McAvoy
Clifton Carlo
Lauzon Zboril/Vaaka
Moore Miller

Lauzon McAvoy
Grz Carlo
Clifton Miller

Good?
But are they ready to play a regular role?

Im of the belief spots should be earned not handed. Let the kids beat Chara out for the spot. As other have noted, the old man looked good before Covid break. He’s earned the right to battle for a spot against the “couple of 1st round picks parked in Providence “

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
But are they ready to play a regular role?

Im of the belief spots should be earned not handed. Let the kids beat Chara out for the spot. As other have noted, the old man looked good before Covid break. He’s earned the right to battle for a spot against the “couple of 1st round picks parked in Providence “

yes they have earned a chance from what I read ... and reports from posters who watch Providence Bruins games

When a team asks to put aside offensive production to finely tune details. And the prospects do it, and do it properly. What else is there for them to learn in the minor leagues?

Also if the parent team is always full, especially with vets like Moore etc. How are they ever going to get a chance to gain experience and earn a more significant role?

Only hope is that someone gets injured? How is that fair?

Last edited:

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
I don't either. Lauzon is going to be a solid d in this league for many years. I like Clifton as well but I think Lauzon has a much higher ceiling.

maybe

why did Clifton outplay him in the playoffs?

Cliffy made more of an impact than Lauzon. Hence he ended up playing the rest of the games vs Tampa

Reactions: HumBucker

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
I don't see Clifton or Lauzon as unknowns.

In the sense that we don't truly know what we have with them. Both have such small sample sizes - I am excited by Lauzon as a top 4 some day but where Clifton falls in over a full season is unknown as is Lauzon's current level of play. They are of course all NHLers at minimum.

Is this going to be a flash back to trading Boychuk because the Bruins had seven bottom pairing defensemen? Or are Lauzon/Clifton/Zboril/Vaak all going to maximize potentials and leave us with the top defense in the NHL?

While we wait to find out I'd like to keep a few proven winners (Chara) around through the growing pains. If this season we find they can replace Chara then I am willing to move on. I can't say we are at this point.

If the Bruins are comfortable with a step back that is one thing but with Bergeron/Krejci/Marchand/Rask etc etc, I am not buying it at this point.

Reactions: gillesgilbert

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
1.2 with some light bonus language
Lose the C,gains an A
Expect to play in 75% of the games,health permitting
Take it or leave it Z

Reactions: Bodit9

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad